Photo

How many actually use proxies to play X-wing?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 afilter

afilter

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:29 AM

These two auctions are on E-bay and was wondering if people are using other ships to play X-Wing?  Early on I saw several posts with people gathering massive fleets of other ships, but nor sure how common this is.  So far my group has only used the actual FFG models as any battle over 100pt per side seems to become a bit cumbersome with the game mechanics and time.

Rebels:

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1555.l2649

Imperials:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4d0dfc7a80

Other than the Tie Advanced I do not think I would be happy with the Imperials, but some of the Rebel ships look really close especially the A-Wing and Y-Wing.  The battle damage ones actaully look pretty cool.

Does anyone know if these are Micromachines or are currently using them?

I currrently have 4 of each FFG fighter in my collection, so no real need here, but if someone is looking to do large battles these seem like they would be cheap subsitutes especially sine the FFG ships have been hard to find in stock.

Just curious what others think?

#2 afilter

afilter

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:35 AM

Oppps…double post.  Please delete this one.

Thanks,

#3 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:15 AM

Micro machines work fine as proxies, I used them to simulate wave 2 fighters during the long wait for them to be officially released

The main issue is that, aside from just buying the models, you have to have enough extra stands and bases for them, and you will have to manufacture your own maneuver dials and (optionally) print your own pilot cards.  It's doable, but by the time you spend money on proxy models and put in the time into getting everything together, it becomes kind of questionable whether it's really worth it over just buying the official ships.

I guess the thing that would make it worthwhile is whether you can get a good price on the proxy ships, and whether you have the extra stands to put them on.

#4 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

of the 2 auctions .....only the X-wing is close to scale but some of the others could be used. I have a lot of the Micromachine and Star Wars Battle ships. I play with my seven year old and use those ships instaed of the FFG ones because they hold up better to little hands. I to also used them to proxy wave 2 ships for testing purposes and I'm continuing that with the wave 3 stuff.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#5 Tusken Raider

Tusken Raider

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

I've spent a couple of hundred pounds on X-wing miniatures and yet I still keep creating squads where I don't have enough minis. My latest is a 3 Outer Rim Smuggler squad. So I use one Falcon plus base, use the other Falcon base without a mini and then a base from my Firespray without a mini.

Not as fun as the real thing but much, much cheaper.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS