Fett

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 deadlyflorist

deadlyflorist

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

So I've seen it alluded to a few times in various diffrent posts, and noone has ever said anything diffrent, but how does Fett's special ability allow you to place bombs any more accruitly then any of the other firesprays?  My understanding was that bombs were placed when you fliped your movement dile over, not after you had compleated your move.  If that's true, then you'd drop the bomb in the same place no matter what your chosen move was, nor who your pilot was.  Do I have this correct?

#2 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

deadlyflorist said:

So I've seen it alluded to a few times in various diffrent posts, and noone has ever said anything diffrent, but how does Fett's special ability allow you to place bombs any more accruitly then any of the other firesprays?  My understanding was that bombs were placed when you fliped your movement dile over, not after you had compleated your move.  If that's true, then you'd drop the bomb in the same place no matter what your chosen move was, nor who your pilot was.  Do I have this correct?

It is correct as far as my interpertation of the rules, but imagine having a ship move where you wanted to go, but because of blocking problems, you stop right where you started, not out outside of R1 of the seismic charge. Flipping it to the other bearing would be helpful in certain circulstances, just like avoiding collisions so you can get someone in your rear arc. 

#3 vyrago

vyrago

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

As far as bombs/mines are concerned all Firespray pilots have the same accuracy.  Since the bomb is dropped before any movement occurs, even Fett's ability to change his manuever would not affect placement of the bomb.  

#4 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

With the exception of the Proximity Mine…it is dropped after movement, by an Action.  Fett's ability could be useful in that respect.

#5 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Jetsetter is correct.  The seismic charge is dropped (not an action) before movement is commenced.  The proximity mine is deployed as an action, after the move is completed.  Fett's ability could definitely come in handy when deciding to drop the prox mine.  Now add in the crew uopgrades from wave 3 that allow you to view the opponents movement dial…

Enimo Et Fide

#6 sejestephan

sejestephan

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:21 AM

Navigator will be nuts with him. As I see it, you can choose any maneuver with a bearing and them have that entire bearing available + banks to the other side. That sounds pretty good to me.

#7 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

sejestephan said:

Navigator will be nuts with him. As I see it, you can choose any maneuver with a bearing and them have that entire bearing available + banks to the other side. That sounds pretty good to me.

Check out this discussion on BGG for why this may not work:

http://boardgamegeek...t-and-navigator

#8 sejestephan

sejestephan

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

Yay, a bunch of nerds nitpicking about wordings, of course it works, the rules of this game aren't complex enough that it shouldn't. :-)

#9 Acebaur

Acebaur

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

I see no reason why you can't do both. The rulebook is very clear that when two things would happen simultaneously you get to choose in which order to resolve them in. The rulebook doesn't say that you have to choose one and the other is lost.

#10 sperril

sperril

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

Acebaur said:

I see no reason why you can't do both. The rulebook is very clear that when two things would happen simultaneously you get to choose in which order to resolve them in. The rulebook doesn't say that you have to choose one and the other is lost.

I see a reason you can't do both.  Navigator seems to modify the "revealed manuever."  If Fett turns the dial afterword, that's all well and good.  But does that mean that the new manuever is now the "revealed manuever"?  If not, then operating the navigator card will require first changing the dial back to where it was before Fett's ability moved it.  In effect, you can operate both of the abilities in whatever order you choose, but the operation of the second ability will automatically cancel out the first one.

I can see the argument both ways.  We'll need a rules clarification for sure.

I hope they let both effects operate on the same move.  Fett is pretty weak and this would probably make people take a second look at him.

#11 Acebaur

Acebaur

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

sperril said:

Acebaur said:

I see a reason you can't do both.  Navigator seems to modify the "revealed manuever."  If Fett turns the dial afterword, that's all well and good.  But does that mean that the new manuever is now the "revealed manuever"?  If not, then operating the navigator card will require first changing the dial back to where it was before Fett's ability moved it.  In effect, you can operate both of the abilities in whatever order you choose, but the operation of the second ability will automatically cancel out the first one.

I hope they let both effects operate on the same move.  Fett is pretty weak and this would probably make people take a second look at him.

They are worded exactly the same, therefore they happen at exactly the same moment. According to the rules things that happen at the same moment are both resolved and in the order of the player's choosing. No where in the book does it say one event cancels out another for scenarios like this. Where are you getting that logic from?

#12 sperril

sperril

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

Acebaur said:

sperril said:

Acebaur said:

They are worded exactly the same, therefore they happen at exactly the same moment. According to the rules things that happen at the same moment are both resolved and in the order of the player's choosing. No where in the book does it say one event cancels out another for scenarios like this. Where are you getting that logic from?

It depends on the definition of "revealed manuever."  I'm not saying that one event cancels the other out.  Both events are most definitely resolved.  But one event could be interpreted as acting in a way that makes the other moot.  Both abilities are clearly intended to be activited when the manuever dial is flipped over to "reveal" a manuever.  As such, they are both intended to modify that "revealed manuever."  Example:

Fett reveals a 2 left bank.  This is now the revealed manuever.

Fett changes it to a 2 right bank.  (Is this act considered to be "revealing" another manuever?  Or is it creating some type of modified manuever?)

Navigator acts on the revealed manuever.  Is that the manuever that was originally revealed?  Or is that the manuever that is currently in the dial window?

Again, I'm not arguing for that interpretation.  I believe your interpretation is correct.  I'm just pointing out that a reasonable argument can be made on both sides.

#13 Digitalkiller

Digitalkiller

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Indeed, after read all the discussion about this, I also think that both argument are solid. Maybe on the new FAQs will appear a calrification for this.

Cheers

----------------

In a country... far... far... away

#14 squirrel

squirrel

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

Seismic charge is also pretty good on Fett, because if he is either PS 8 or 10.  So everyone has moved, and you can tell accurately who is going to be left in your seismic blast zone.

#15 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

Acebaur said:

sperril said:

Acebaur said:

It depends on the definition of "revealed manuever."  I'm not saying that one event cancels the other out.  Both events are most definitely resolved.  But one event could be interpreted as acting in a way that makes the other moot.  Both abilities are clearly intended to be activited when the manuever dial is flipped over to "reveal" a manuever.  As such, they are both intended to modify that "revealed manuever."  Example:

Fett reveals a 2 left bank.  This is now the revealed manuever.

Fett changes it to a 2 right bank.  (Is this act considered to be "revealing" another manuever?  Or is it creating some type of modified manuever?)

Navigator acts on the revealed manuever.  Is that the manuever that was originally revealed?  Or is that the manuever that is currently in the dial window?

Again, I'm not arguing for that interpretation.  I believe your interpretation is correct.  I'm just pointing out that a reasonable argument can be made on both sides.

Exactly sparril. Until now i had an opinion for any doubtful situation, but this one is really a tough nut... What is the revealed manoeuver. The one you see when literally turning the dial or the one Boba's action reveals. No question the 2 effects trigger and you choose the order, but they both refer to one (same??) event and it is unclear what that event is or means.

This needs FAQ, really!

#16 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

Well, just in case the Fett/Navigator combo does work (which I think it will), I came up with this list for when Wave 3 hits:

Fett w/HLC, Vet Instincts, Navigator & the Slave-1 title (hey, it's Fett so why not)
Obsidian Squad x 2
Academy Pilots x 2

Can't wait to try this out.

#17 DashAkrost

DashAkrost

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

This would deffinitly make fett more useful

#18 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

Drop the two obsidians pilots, add two academies, and give fett a seismic charge. 

#19 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

Well, just in case the Fett/Navigator combo does work (which I think it will), I came up with this list for when Wave 3 hits:

Fett w/HLC, Vet Instincts, Navigator & the Slave-1 title (hey, it's Fett so why not)
Obsidian Squad x 2
Academy Pilots x 2

Can't wait to try this out.

I just played a game where my Boba was in a perfect position to be unpredictable with his movement as he faced an asteroid -- my opponent had no way of knowing which way he'd bank. Unfortunately, I sat one of my ships in one of the paths, and was unable to choose that direction, and Boba Fett got blown away. If you do run the squad you are proposing, I suggest keeping the fighters well out of Boba's path. Maybe have the TIEs circle around the board (Mu0n's suggestion) while Boba dives in. Just thought I'd share my experience.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS