Playing with the Core Set

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gopherlove

Gopherlove

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

So I picked up the Core Set for Netrunner 2 weeks ago and in that time I've played about 6 games. Each time I felt like the game could be fun but is just falls way short every game. There is never a tense moment over agenda points, it's either scored the it is installed turn without the runner even getting a chance, or the runner gets a runner and its succesful 90% of the time. There has never been 2 agenda's on the board at the same time. One thing that plagued the last games is if the corp isn't drawing agenda that game just feels like nothing is moving. I was wondering if this is simply because the premade core decks are meh-tastic or is it for the game to be a bit slower paced?

#2 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

Gopherlove said:

So I picked up the Core Set for Netrunner 2 weeks ago and in that time I've played about 6 games. Each time I felt like the game could be fun but is just falls way short every game. There is never a tense moment over agenda points, it's either scored the it is installed turn without the runner even getting a chance, or the runner gets a runner and its succesful 90% of the time. There has never been 2 agenda's on the board at the same time. One thing that plagued the last games is if the corp isn't drawing agenda that game just feels like nothing is moving. I was wondering if this is simply because the premade core decks are meh-tastic or is it for the game to be a bit slower paced?

Hmm…It sounds like you're playing Agendas incorrectly. Could you describe what the Corp is doing to score Agendas in more detail? Has the Runner been running against R&D/HQ trying to score Agendas there?

The premade decks are designed to be suboptimal to assist new players in learning how to deckbuild and in not getting crushed against experienced players.

#3 Gopherlove

Gopherlove

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

The corp scores agendas by installing them in a remote server. If the remote server has existing ice the corp must by a credit for each ice installed or trash ice as he pleases. The corp then must get equal or greater advancement tokens on to the installed agenda to res it and score it. Advancement tokens can normally only be gotten by spending one credit and one click to put 1 advancement token on 1 installed card. by using conbination of cards its become possible to drop a advance and score 4 or 5 advancment cost agendas in the same time. He can only score agenda on his turn. And ice is never removed when a runner by passes or breaks all of the subroutines. 

The runner can score agendas when ever he access them through any means. Which could be running against an remote server, HQ, R&D or in the extremely rare case archives (never happend in any of our games). 

I feel one of the man reasons the agendas work this way in our games in the corp always has less credit then the runner. 

Please let me know if we are playing wrong. I would love that to be the case.

#4 nungunz

nungunz

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

What cards were used to fast-advance the a 4 or 5 advance agendas?  The only cards in the core-set that I can think of that would let you do so is Psychographics, SanSan, Biotic Labor, and Astroscript Pilot Program.

Unless Matrix Analyzer is in the core set, but I don't believe it is.

Psychographics requires the runner to have multiple tags on them in order to work.  Biotic Labor is very expensive (4 credits per use).  SanSan only allows you to force through a 3-advance age.  Astroscript must be scored first, can only be used once, and there is only 2 of them in the NBN deck.

Remember you can't use out-of-faction agendas in a deck.

#5 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

nungunz said:

Unless Matrix Analyzer is in the core set, but I don't believe it is.

It is in the core set, but it doesn't really do anything for fast advance.

#6 nungunz

nungunz

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

Saturnine said:

It is in the core set, but it doesn't really do anything for fast advance.

Yeah, I resorted to listing anything that can help advance agendas.  Agreed MA does nothing for fast advance.

#7 Gopherlove

Gopherlove

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

So in the last game I played, the one which final got me to post, I was playing the premade NBN. My opponent didn't care at all about traces and didn't spend any money to break any of them, so he had a pretty good supply going, even after 2 closed accounts. So I was able to use Psychographics to score an early AstroScript Pilot Program, the next agenda I scored was Breaking News buy using SanSan City Grid and just doing 1 regular Advancement token. After that I didn't pull any agendas for a few turns so my oppent just kept running at my hand and deck and got lucky and stole 2 agendas and amassing more tags then we had tokens for (it was quite boring). I then pulled scored Private Security Force in the same turn with SanSan City Grid + AstroScript Pilot and 2 regular advancements. The runner ended up winning by running at HQ and getting his last agenda points. If he didn't get lucky I was going to play Priority Requisition and Psychographics it complete it that turn and win. It just didn't feel like we were playing eachother it felt like we were playing what card came up on the top of R&D.

I am guessing these are not normally the way games go?

#8 skwizzle

skwizzle

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

Gopherlove said:

The runner ended up winning by running at HQ and getting his last agenda points. If he didn't get lucky I was going to play Priority Requisition and Psychographics it complete it that turn and win. It just didn't feel like we were playing eachother it felt like we were playing what card came up on the top of R&D.

I am guessing these are not normally the way games go?

If the runner keeps raiding R&D, the best thing you can do is lock down R&D. If you can't…well…you have a good chance of losing, unless you have a handful of agendas you can score quickly. Your best bet, late-game, is probably to slap a Tollbooth on it. It might not keep them out of R&D for good, but it will make it very expensive, and that slows them down a lot.

Have you played all of the factions yet? You might enjoy Weyland or Haas-Bioroid more.

#9 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

If the remote server has existing ice the corp must by a credit for each ice installed or trash ice as he pleases. 

Really? Where is this mentioned in the rulebook? Not that I doubt you, I need this to be the case so I can prove it to my buddy!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#10 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Is it really that hard to find? It's in the section for installing corp cards on page 13, in the subsection for ice:

" When the Corporation installs a piece of ice, he must install it in the outermost position in front of the server and pay an install cost equal to the number of pieces of ice already protecting that server."

#11 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Aha! Yeah, we both missed that bit. I've never actually played as the corp though, so haven't really read that stuff. Thanks!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#12 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

I really recommend playing both sides, even if you prefer one of them. It'll open your eyes to some strategies and thought processes that you don't cross your mind if your only play runner. Understanding how one side plays always helps with learning how to play against it :)

#13 nungunz

nungunz

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Definitely agreed with the above.

Tournaments always require each match to be two games.  Once as runner and once as corp, against the same opponents (so 1 match is 2 games).

The same thing should go for league play.  It lets players get more experience all around and is more fun (in my opinion).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS