Purchase strategy

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Grivenger

Grivenger

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

Since many of the individual ships are currently unavailable, does anyone know what a good purchase strategy is? 

Should I just one start box followed by the X-Wing and Tie Fighter expansions as well as the MF and Slave One ships and then wait for the others to be replenished, or is it better to purchase two boxes? 

#2 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

Right now that's what you will have to do. 

2 core sets

1 x wing Exp

1 tie exp

2 MF

2 Slaves

tbat will get you started. Don't over pay for the ships either, stay within $1 of retail, don't spend more the $16, you can be most for $10 online.

Wave 5 ships are up for Pre Order!
http://www.spinninginspace.com/
Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD
https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

#3 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

Better to get two core sets honestly.  That gives you the most ships for the money, plus extra cards, dice, tokens, ect..

#4 Grivenger

Grivenger

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

pitsch said:

Right now that's what you will have to do. 

2 core sets

1 x wing Exp

1 tie exp

2 MF

2 Slaves

tbat will get you started. Don't over pay for the ships either, stay within $1 of retail, don't spend more the $16, you can be most for $10 online.

Thanks, is there any reason to get two MF's and Slave Ones? And what kind of options do the Y-Wing, A-Wing and Imperial equivalents offer? 

#5 Syleh Forge

Syleh Forge

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

Firesprays (Slave 1s) are currently the most potent imperial ship…i personally love to fly two of them in a battle - it's hard to maneuever them sometimes, but they have good firepower, good staying power, and plenty of tricks up their sleeves.  Another reason to get two sets of Slave Ones is to get the Stealth Device modifications…they can be put on anyone and increase that ships agility by 1.  Falcons can be great together as well, but quite a bit more pricey (points-wise)

Options:

Y-wings have alot of health, and can take an Ion Cannon Turret which due to the 360 arc of fire can really mess with a enemy ship.  They are slow and somewhat cumbersome, but i see them every other battle and they don't do too shabby when played well.  Named Pilots are Dutch Vander who gives a free target lock to an ally, and Horton Salm who can reroll a die at range 3(?)

A-wings are very fast and maneuverable fighters.  You can put missiles on them as well, and they have a generic 3 skill pilot that can take an elite pilot upgrade.  They lack in firepower once you use the missiles, but have good survivability and can still do damage here and there.  Named pilots are Arvel Crynd who can shoot people he runs into and Tycho Celchu who can take stress tokens and still perform actions

Tie Advanced are pretty much the Imperial X-wing.  Similar maneuver dials, and they can take a missile.  Same hull+shields, 1 more agility, 1 less firepower.  They frankly aren't all that good, but do have alot of survivability because of the shields and high agility…they just don't tend to do much damage unless you're at range 1, and maneuver cleverly. Named pilots are Maarik Steele who is okay, and Vader who can take 2 actions per turn.

Tie Interceptors are the imperial counterpart to A-wings.  Nearly as fast, slightly more maneuverable, and are the only small imperial ship with 3 attack dice.  They're glass cannons for the imps, can do heaps of damage, but can get picked off in a turn if you aren't careful.  They fill a much needed gap because of the 3 attack.  Named pilots are Fel's wrath, Turr Phennir who can boost or barrel roll after he shoots, and Soontir Fel who gets a focus token when he gets a stress token (which is very hand with Push the Limit)

I don't know if that helps you, but there you go

8 X-wings, 7 A-wings, 4 Y-wings, 2 YT-1300, 4 B-wings,  2HWK-290, 3 E-wings, 3 Z-95's, 1 Transport, 1 CR-90

14 Tie Fighters, 13 Interceptors, 3 Advanced, 4 Firesprays, 4 Bombers, 3 Defenders, 3 Phantoms, 1 Lambda

#6 Wildscar

Wildscar

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

I have found all my ships are Barnes and Noble book stores. Some for even 15% off with cupons. Sign up for thier news letter and they send them at regular times. 

http://www.barnesand...r_id=1001563838

#7 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

Small wave 2 ships are hard to get.  But, you can get all of wave 1 on Amazon.com for at or less than retail with free S/H.

Like others, I think 2 core sets is a must and the best bang for you buck.

I'd also buy one of each wave 1 expansion, and one each of the Slave 1 and Falcon (though if you can afford 2 Slave 1 you'll definitely find uses it).

This will give you:

5 TIE Fighters

1 TIE Advanced

1-2 Slave 1s

3 X-Wing

1 Y-Wing

1 Falcon

This will give you lots of variety when playing (all for about $150 on amazon). 

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

#8 Atrum Aduro

Atrum Aduro

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

El_Tonio said:

Small wave 2 ships are hard to get.  But, you can get all of wave 1 on Amazon.com for at or less than retail with free S/H.

Actually, you can pre-order the wave 2 small ships on Amazon. They're going to be shipping out on July 15 if you don't mind waiting till then for them to arrive.

A-wing
http://www.amazon.co...h?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tie Interceptor
http://www.amazon.co...d_bxgy_t_text_y

#9 major shultz

major shultz

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:49 AM

Howdy

I am a big fan of 2 starters and 1 each of the wave 1 and wave 2 expansions. This will give you all of the card, and ship options. If you don't want tie fighters or x wings then only get 1 starter. I would recommend against buying more than 1 each of the large ships until you play with them a few times. This also gives you a chance to play with a little of everything. Until the wave 3 ships and the reprints hit this summer.

So 1 starter and 1 of each gives you 3 tie fighters, 2 x wings, and 1 of everything else which should hold you in good stead until you find out what you like to fly.

i personally like tie fighter and tie interceptor swarm lists but I have a lot of friends that don't like to run them because of the challenge of flying them. I don't like to run the multiple big ship lists but as you can see on the boards some folks love them.

thanks

#10 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

Atrum Aduro said:

El_Tonio said:

Actually, you can pre-order the wave 2 small ships on Amazon. They're going to be shipping out on July 15 if you don't mind waiting till then for them to arrive.

A-wing
http://www.amazon.co...h?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tie Interceptor
http://www.amazon.co...d_bxgy_t_text_y

Not sure if that is an official street date; funagaingames often guesses to drum up orders.  Plus, that's 50% above retail with the rediculous $7 per ship S/H. I personally would not buy from a place that charges $7 per ship S/H.

But, for the past few months and the next few weeks (at least) it will be hard to get small wave 2 ships for retail or less.

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

#11 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

I pretty much based my purchases on a 100 point squad build..  Started with two core sets..  Core sets are pretty easy to find at your local Target store and or Barnes & Nobel.  But first check your local gaming store as it’s always cool to support them. If you don’t have a local gaming store, check Barnes and Nobel for assorted ships except for the Tie Interceptor for some reason?  I also had good luck on Ebay and Amazon , also when you find ships you want and they are at retail and or below (What others have mentioned) buy them as they seem to disappear fast. A good gauge of what is currently available is/are the prices listed for various ships. Tie Interceptors seem to be the most scarce right now, a few weeks ago it was A wings before that Y wings….. When new stock comes in the prices drop dramatically so wait for that to happen if you can, apparently many folks don’t mind shelling out 40 bucks for a Tie interceptor..lol  

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#12 Primus_Magicus

Primus_Magicus

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

How many of each miniature do people normally own? I have 1 core set, extra TIE fighter and the Falcon right now and looking some more expansions, but not sure how many to buy of each. I know you can put 3 ORS YT1300's in a 100 point game, but was not planning to buy multiples of the large ones or like 8 TIE fighters / enough to fill 100 pts with one model with all low pilot skill fighters (like 4 A-wings I guess). Any advice what to do without becoming a really expensive game.

#13 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

what is normal? lol  I did buy 3 each of the big ships.. and pretty much 6 each of the small ships except for Ties I purchased 8. you don't notice the expense as much when its done over time.. lol  i also "Let" my wife purchase the occasional fighter for me when we go to Barnes and Nobel..lol but just get what you can afford...  I figure there are far worst things to spend money on... 

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#14 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

How many of each miniature do people normally own? I have 1 core set, extra TIE fighter and the Falcon right now and looking some more expansions, but not sure how many to buy of each. I know you can put 3 ORS YT1300's in a 100 point game, but was not planning to buy multiples of the large ones or like 8 TIE fighters / enough to fill 100 pts with one model with all low pilot skill fighters (like 4 A-wings I guess). Any advice what to do without becoming a really expensive game.

I hear a lot of people start with two of each expansion (even two of the large ships, but I haven't gotten around to that yet). I think this is a decent way to go. You get a good feel for the ships and can decide which ones you really want more of. For a while now I've wanted a third Y-wing, but I ended up buying more X-wings and TIE fighters because I play them the most.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#15 spitfireMKIX

spitfireMKIX

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

Hey guys I'm new here but I wanted to pass along some intel. I recently purchased a core set from my local target on clearance for 27.50!!!

5 X-wing 3 A-wing 3 Y-wing 2 B-wing 1 YT-1300 1 HWK 290 1 transport<p>7 Tie Fighter 1 Tie Advnace 4 Tie Intercepter 2 Tie Bomber 2 Firespray

#16 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

I just bought 4 A-Wings and 4-Interceptors from Barnes & Noble last week. They're in hand now. I paid $14.99 for the Interceptors and ~ $13.50 for the A-Wings. I only did this because I'm in a group that is playing now. If you can wait for the re-release you might be able to get these online for around $10. I heard mid July, then August. I know Fantasy Flight is putting out more product, I just didn't know how long it would really take.

B&N is the only place I could find that had these ships in stock. I guess a lot of gamers overlook them.

#17 PenguinBonaparte

PenguinBonaparte

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

I've got some wave 2 ships coming but a starter set + a y-wing, x-wing, tie advanced, and tie fighter has made for some pretty fun games in the 80 point range so far as I'm learning the game. It would make for some 100 point Rebel squads of two beefed up x-wings and a y-wing, but the highest value for an Imperial squad I've used was around 86.

Edited by PenguinBonaparte, 20 July 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#18 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

In reading through this forum and looking at the common squads built on the voidstate squadron builder, I've come to a few conclusions about 100 pt squads.

An 8 Tie Fighter swarm is not only possible, but used often. If you are going to swarm with the Imperials this build works. But you'd better brush up on your synchronized flying.

A 2 YT-1300 squad with Han and Chewie is a a lot of hull points to have to take out, especially without criticals.

Multiple Firesprays-31s are viable, but using three leaves you with no points to arm them, which may be stretching things a bit.

So if you want your set to be able to accommodate most of the common point configurations, you're going to at least need to get to this:

4 X-Wings
2 YT-1300s
8 Tie Fighters
2 Firespray-31s

The jury seems to still be out on Y-Wings, A-Wings, Advanced Ties and Tie Interceptors. Personally, I'm aiming for four of each to cover the bases.

This also gives you double sets of the Large ship cards, which seems to be important.

Edited by RookiePilot, 21 July 2013 - 02:42 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS