• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jesterhawk

jesterhawk

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:58 AM

Hello,

My ten year old son who has dyslexia has been really wanting to play SWLCG with me.  We did try it once and he is just not there yet with his reading to be able to read the text on the cards.  Once explained to him, he can understand but the fact that each card has to be explained and then every now and then a refresher given, it became obvious that his frustration was very very high.  But he stilled wanted to play because Dad plays it.

Enter the concept of kids rules (you can watch a short little video introducing this on our YouTube Channel at ).

The main basic concept was to take away the reading and focus just on battling because that is what he loved anyway at this point.  So here is what we did.

• Cost, Force icons, Affiliation, Damage Capacity, and Conflict Icons remain the same.
  • Elite is used and identified by the adult (me) because it is really needed on those characters.
  • All ability text is ignored.
  • Objectives still provide resources and have damage but nothing else.
  • Enhancements that do not provide resources are only good for edge battles.
  • Enhancements that provide resources can be played to provide resources.
  • Events are only good for edge battles.
  • Fate cards are only good for force icons.

In truth, we played a slightly modified version of this because he understood shielding and the "Twist of Fate" card.  But for the rest, we followed this set of rules and it worked out well for us and he had a blast with dad.  It might be because he won, but it was a fun time together.

I realize this takes a lot away and out of the game.  But the intent was to introduce him where he was at and slowly add back in stuff until we got to the regular rules.

Also, my son is getting a kick out of seeing the stats on YouTube of people viewing.  So even if you aren't interested, he would get a kick if you just went out and watched so the numbers go up.  He doesn't understand things like inflated numbers and that the numbers don't mean people actually watched the whole show and liked it.  So seeing the "view" number goes up give him a kick.  :)

Thanks

JH

Check out "about{dot}me{/}PRAquilone"

@praquilone

#2 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

This seems reasonable for a kid who hasn't yet learned to read or has difficulty with it, but in general I say don't dumb things down.  Kids are smarter than a lot of people give them credit for, and challenge is just what they need to continue growing moreso. Just a few weeks ago I played a nine-year old at our local tournament, and while I think he only won one game that night (no, not against me :P ), I was impressed at how well he held his own. He had a clear grasp of the rules and strategy, even if not the finer points thereof.

#3 masterjm

masterjm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

Interesting idea, I'll give it a try, since my little 7 year-old daughter just told me she wanted to play with me -to help me to test my decks-, but since she barely reads some english, I think these rules will come handy.

I'll let you know the outcome, regards!

JM

#4 jesterhawk

jesterhawk

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

The Gas said:

This seems reasonable for a kid who hasn't yet learned to read or has difficulty with it, but in general I say don't dumb things down.  Kids are smarter than a lot of people give them credit for, and challenge is just what they need to continue growing moreso. Just a few weeks ago I played a nine-year old at our local tournament, and while I think he only won one game that night (no, not against me :P ), I was impressed at how well he held his own. He had a clear grasp of the rules and strategy, even if not the finer points thereof.

Very true!!

My son gets the mechanics.  It is the reading.  We are working on concepts and adding in more as we go.  The important thing for me is time spent with my son.  That is why we do the YouTube channel and play games together.

JH

@praquilone

#5 jesterhawk

jesterhawk

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

masterjm said:

Interesting idea, I'll give it a try, since my little 7 year-old daughter just told me she wanted to play with me -to help me to test my decks-, but since she barely reads some english, I think these rules will come handy.

I'll let you know the outcome, regards!

JM

Awesome.  Glad I could at least give you an idea to toy with :)

JH

@praquilone

#6 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

That's awesome that your boy is enthusiastic about the game. My 13 year-old is SO uninterested in trying it out, which is a shame, because I think he would have been all over the original, cooperative model that was first introduced (but there's no point in crying over spilt milk).

I wonder: if you guys use the same decks every time, it seems to me that, despite the reading difficulties, his enthusiasm alone would help him remember what each of the cards is capable of. It might be slow going, but gradually I bet he would remember most of the cards if you start introducing them bit by bit.

But the bottom line is you've got a lil' fella who's enjoying playing a tabletop game, and that must be nurtured! :D

#7 jesterhawk

jesterhawk

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

That's awesome that your boy is enthusiastic about the game. My 13 year-old is SO uninterested in trying it out, which is a shame, because I think he would have been all over the original, cooperative model that was first introduced (but there's no point in crying over spilt milk).

I wonder: if you guys use the same decks every time, it seems to me that, despite the reading difficulties, his enthusiasm alone would help him remember what each of the cards is capable of. It might be slow going, but gradually I bet he would remember most of the cards if you start introducing them bit by bit.

But the bottom line is you've got a lil' fella who's enjoying playing a tabletop game, and that must be nurtured! :D

To answer your question, I give him the option every time and he mostly picks the Dark side.  In the video, he was the light side.  We do tend to use the same decks.  However, as expansions come out, I retool those decks so some cards change.  But he is doing well.  And he is having fun.  And the most important thing is we are spending time together :)

JH

@praquilone

#8 jesterhawk

jesterhawk

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

jesterhawk said:

I. J. Thompson said:

To answer your question, I give him the option every time and he mostly picks the Dark side.  In the video, he was the light side.  We do tend to use the same decks.  However, as expansions come out, I retool those decks so some cards change.  But he is doing well.  And he is having fun.  And the most important thing is we are spending time together :)

JH

Since I have gotten back on my feet (broke both ankles), I have been traveling for work.  Looking forward to returning home and playing with my son :)

JH

@praquilone

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS