Spells questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:33 AM

Had a game with a couple of friends, including a "newbie".

Some issues came up about a couple of spells.

Invisibility:

The card says: "You may evade any creature or character until the end of this turn."

The newbie friend had this and (most likely joked) about evading spells, events and strangers, but we disallowed this as we assumed it only applies to encounters.

Is this the case or was the newbie right?

Immobility:

The rulebook says: Characters sometime have the option to evade creatures and other characters, such as by casting an Immobility or Invisibility Spell."

However, the Immobility card says: "Cast at the start of a character's turn, before he moves. If cast on a character, he is immobilised (may do nothing apart from negating this Spell with Counterspell) for the duration of that turn."

My friend and I had a dispute about this as by the time his character landed on my space and attacked my character, he had already moved, event though the rulebook suggests Immobility can also be cast if attacked by another character.

#2 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

The Hunter said:

Invisibility:

The card says: "You may evade any creature or character until the end of this turn."

The newbie friend had this and (most likely joked) about evading spells, events and strangers, but we disallowed this as we assumed it only applies to encounters.

Is this the case or was the newbie right?

He wasn't right because creatures and characters are keywords referring to specific game elements, you can't just extend the Spell target to everything you like. However, there's an optional rule in the manual (Evade Unfriendly Individuals, page 20) that more or less allows doing this. I personally dislike and not use that alternative rule, because it leaves too many things to the players' discretion and I don't want arguments interrupting our games.

The Hunter said:

Immobility:

The rulebook says: Characters sometime have the option to evade creatures and other characters, such as by casting an Immobility or Invisibility Spell."

However, the Immobility card says: "Cast at the start of a character's turn, before he moves. If cast on a character, he is immobilised (may do nothing apart from negating this Spell with Counterspell) for the duration of that turn."

My friend and I had a dispute about this as by the time his character landed on my space and attacked my character, he had already moved, event though the rulebook suggests Immobility can also be cast if attacked by another character.

Immobility Spell was heavily messed up when brought from Black Industries 4th edition into FFG 4th Edition Revised. Text has been changed but examples were transfered from the old to the new Rulebook, forgetting that something had changed.

The correct way to handle Immobility is: you can cast it on a character only at the start of his turn to immobilize him (=his turn ends if he cannot cast Counterspell). If cast on a creature, it can be cast at any time, so you can use it to avoid the Sentinel as the Sorceress does in one of the examples.

The Immobility Spell card does not have room for all this, but it was explained as such a long time ago.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS