Torpedo and Missile tactics

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vyrago

vyrago

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:27 AM

I'm looking for some advice on how best to use missiles and torpedoes.  Obviously, using them on lower agility targets is best but there seems to be 2 schools of thought.  

1.  use them early to put some damage down, you might not get a better chance later.  (cons, your opponent's ships are healthy and likely harder to hit early in the game)

2.  use them later, cherry pick the best target and maximize its effect to get crits or a kill.  Its a one shot, after all!  (cons, your torpedo ship might not survive long enough to get a good shot)

#2 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

I prefer to use them early. I've had too many ships die still carrying their torps or missiles and it's always gutting.

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 100,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· I spent the last year backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we got to: Travels With Triplets.

#3 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

Send all the missiles against one opponent early in the game. Against rebels, it knocks out shields so your blasters can start doing damage. Against Imps, pick the biggest, baddest ship there is and color it with TL tokens, and when you fire, scream "LOOSE" and then start rolling dice.

#4 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

For me it depends on the missile or torp in question. Standard torps go against the highest hull, lowest shield target, holding off for a turn in need be. Assault goes against the easiest to hit target with the most ships around them. Cluster should generally be shotgunned against something low agility or on the verge of death. Concussion and Homing should go against the highest priority ship with the best defense.

This is all “in general” and if I can use one of them to good effect then I’ll ignore the secondary effect to do it.

#5 Keoki

Keoki

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

voidstate said:

I prefer to use them early. I've had too many ships die still carrying their torps or missiles and it's always gutting.

I'll second that - after the first pass, you never know when you'll get a second shot at range 2-3, or whether your ship will even survive the first pass, in some cases.

#6 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

I didn't have much success with guided weapons. The Rebels are the ones that can use the most of them but their typical targets have the highest dodge. Hope to have more success when TIE Bombers come around.

#7 Darkheart

Darkheart

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

I have a tactic for a first turn, 3 torpedo/missile spread, all with focus.

But (due to poor implimentation on my part) I have yet to test it properly.

Build components are

• Y-W •"Dutch" Vander , Proton Torpedoes , R5-K6
  • Garven Dreis, Proton Torpedoes
  • (another pilot of skill 6 or less with torps, I used Red squadron)

Reds action is a focus,Dutch is target lock (giving a target lock to Garven), Garven focus.

Garven shoots first and fives focus to Dutch, Dutch shoots and if K6 aquires target lock, Dutch gives a lock to Red.

Best case all three fire with focus and target lock.

That might give Bobba fet a wake up call. :)

#8 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

Torpedo Boat Squadrons are fun to fly.  But they are just inherantly too unrieliable.  If you win better than 50/50, you are doing quite well with them.

I've tried my best to have R5-K6 be useful in one of these squads, but had to conclude it's far and away 2 points of scrap metal, its 3/8 chance of success does not pay off.

Fire off ordinanace early.  Any ship with loaded tubes is a target.  The points spent do you no good if they go down on board their carrier.

#9 Hiroitchi

Hiroitchi

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

RedWilde said:

Torpedo Boat Squadrons are fun to fly.  But they are just inherantly too unrieliable.  If you win better than 50/50, you are doing quite well with them.

I've tried my best to have R5-K6 be useful in one of these squads, but had to conclude it's far and away 2 points of scrap metal, its 3/8 chance of success does not pay off.

Fire off ordinanace early.  Any ship with loaded tubes is a target.  The points spent do you no good if they go down on board their carrier.

I concur and it hurts when our ships with missiles goes down.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS