X-wing and TIE Fighter scenarios

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SpectreSix

SpectreSix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Remember that X-wing and TIE Fighter combat simulation game from the 90s? What am I saying? Of course most of you remember. The straightforwardness of the missions got me thinking… Now it'll take me awhile to design and bring the missions here, but what about recreating those missions in those games in this tabletop game? I mean, we have most of the ships, minus a small handful. Now the thing is, it would have to bend the rules a little because in TIE Fighter, you play as Maarek Stele, who flies a TIE Interceptor, a TIE Fighter, TIE Bomber, and a TIE Advanced (those are the ones we have in-game, so those are what I am listing… he flies more than those, I know, but still.). As you see in the link, he is a TIE Advanced pilot. So I figured just for sherry and giggles, in Maarek's case and to stick with the game, we could ignore his starship and put him in whatever fighter the mission requires. For wingmen, the basic pilots will do, like Black Squadron or Academy Pilots, and as for the 'player' X-wing for their missions, I figured a Red Squadron Pilot will do.

The rest I will need to brainstorm myself on, this was just a half-baked epiphany I had while trying to sleep. Later on, I'll make a thread with the first X-wing and TIE Fighter missions, and also, why aren't there any Rogue Squadron X-wing pilots? Just a thought.

Spectre Leader, standing by.

#2 Hiroitchi

Hiroitchi

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Funny you should mention that, I happen to still have my X-Wing strategy guide about Farlander, the opposite to Marek Steele.

#3 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:13 AM

I don't remember which mission it was, but you flew an A-Wing and had to recon a Neb-B and avoid about 10 Tie Fighters trying to kill you and then hyperspace away from the battle field. I could see being able to make that scenario work by making a special pilot with the following profile.

Mission

Recon Enemy Space

Imperial forces have destroyed Hoth base and the Rebels are on their heels looking for a new location for a base. Rebel leaders have sent Jek Farsky to recon a sensor network in the outer reaches of a distant system to gather intelligence on the Imperial forces in the area. Little does Jek Farsky know, Imperials were informed of his mission hours before and have scrambled a fast strike force to the area to intercept and capture his ship. If they cannot capture him, they will destroy him. 

Rebel Forces

15 points of upgrades to Jek Farsky

Jek Farsky (Recon A-Wing)

Attk: 2

Agi: 3

Hull: 2

Shield: 2

Elite Pilot, Elite Pilot, Missile, Sensor Upgrade

May take two ship upgrades. These upgrades cannot be duplicates.

Actions: Scan, Evade, Focus, Boost, Target Lock

Special Pilot Ability: You may perform a free scan action after performing a green maneuver.

Imperial Forces

200 points

May only use Tie Fighters, Tie Advanced, and Tie Interceptors. 

Setup

Declare one edge of the table as the Rebel board edge. Use two (2) sets of asteroids and spread them out on a 3x3 table. You may not place asteroids within range 1 of the board edge or range 1 of any other asteroids. Place six (6) sensor buoys, one per asteroid, on the board. No Sensor buoy may be places within range 1-2 of any other buoy unless it is absolutely necessary. Alternate placement of the buoys between the players.

Place Jek Farsky in the center of the board with one stress token. For the rest of the game, regardless of pilot skill, Jek Farsky moves first. 

Imperial forces start with two fighters on the board edge at the start of the game. The Imperials may enter the board from any edge they wish and move as normal. The Imperial Forces may place one (1) fighter to enter the board every turn until there are no more imperial models to place. The Imperials must place the fighters on the board edge before Jek Farsky places his movement dial. Jek Farksky may only place his dial after the Imperial player has set his ships on the board edge.

Imperial reinforcement placement

Imperial fighters entering the board must place the back on their base flush against the board edge and then move as normal.

Mission

Jek Farsky must recon the area while under fire from the Imperials before too many Imperial forces show up as reinforcements. He must use his Scan action on a buoy at range 1 and then he may place that buoy in his token pile. The Imperials Job is to stop Farsky from scanning all the buoys before the end of the game. The Rebel player may move off his board edge at any time to end the scenario. If Farsky is destroyed, the Imperials win.

Victory conditions

Rebels

Scan 0-1 buoys: The Imperials have driven off Farsky and his mission is considered a failure. 

Scan 2-3 buoys: Farksky has been driven off by the Imperials but he has gathered some useful information about the capabilities of the Imperial forces, but not much else.

Scan 4-5 buoys: Much information has been gathered about the Imperials. Their strike capabilities have been determined and the information will be used to assist with future Rebel raids.

Scan 6 buoys: So much information has been obtained that the Rebels have managed to secure information of the personal dossiers of all the officers in the sector. Assassins will be able to be dispatched to their families and much confusion and distrust will be sown in the Imperial ranks. 

Imperials

Kill Farsky.

#4 SpectreSix

SpectreSix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

That's like what I had in mind, but like I said it's a half-baked idea and I wanted to wait to see what miniatures we get to go further… With the TIE Bomber and B-wing coming out, all I really need are:

Assault Gunboat

Missile Boat

TIE Defender

TIE Avenger

Z-95

Alot of the other stuff I'll probably have to home-make, like containers, cruisers and such.

#5 Aridia 97th

Aridia 97th

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

Great idea Spectre.  If it helps since the forum doesn't give us a section for scenarios, there is a Yahoo group "X-Wing Miniatures Game".  The files section would be ideal to store any scenarios as well as house rule ideas.  Easier access too at a later date.

#6 SpectreSix

SpectreSix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Excellent :D I'll try to find it, then send in what I have.

#7 Aridia 97th

Aridia 97th

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

Great!  We really haven't done much of anything to date since most of the chatter is over here.  I'm on as igazzkikr.

#8 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

I love TIE Fighter. I still have it and boot it up now and again to play through DOS BOX. It's been a major source of inspiration for my own fanmade expansions for X-Wing.

I have a thread on boardgame geek that tries to add a few goodies from the game. It includes several pilots, including Seele a TIE FIghter and traitor pilots from Zaarin's forces.

I also created a few missions using graphics from the TIE Fighter game, inspired by that game.
Assault on Platform Talca
The fall of Fort Kooln
The Furball
Strike on the Inoc

I also have rules for Minefields that try to replicate the mines in TIE Fighter. I tested them some, they are as dangerous as they were in the flight simulators.

At the moment I'm working on rules to represent Captial Ships as they behaved in X-Wing, though I've already run a scenario operating an XQ-1 space platform against a rebel assault.

#9 SpectreSix

SpectreSix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Oooh, a space platform? Do share here :)

Do you guys reckon it'd be okay to homemake fighters (like TIEs and X-wings) if I already have the cards? By the time I set up a game with the minis I have, I still have a hefty stack of TIEs left.

#10 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

I'm kind of in the middle of creating a catch-all rules set for anything bigger than the Large ships from FFG. This includes space platforms, corvettes, containers, and everything up to the size of a Nebulon-B frigate. Anything bigger and you need a customized table to play on (particularly on MC-80s and Star Destroyers).

The thread for it is here, though I do have a rules set released, it is not final. There are a few changes I want to make to the PDF before releasing the equipment to operate a ship with (perhaps an Assasin-class Corvette or a System Patrol Craft).

#11 SpectreSix

SpectreSix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

I like that subsystem idea. I remember you had to blast the triangles off of a Star Destroyer to make an attack run on the shield generator globes.

#12 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

Not sure if I want to allow hull-attacking (since hull parts were a subsystem in the old game), mostly because it would make things too easy. Still, a communal shield pool for one starship seemed like the best way to represent how the capital ships behaved in the games instead of the "indivirually shielded subsystems" I saw in one or two starship rules.

Also I tested a concussion missile launcher which fired one every turn (or could cancel warhead attacks against the platform). At first I thought it was too powerful, and then I tried going up against the Modified Frigate Raptor (Defender of the Empire expansion, mission 1), which decided to make me its target and wouldn't leave me alone… it sucked. So maybe I'll re-instate the launchers as they were and hope whomever goes against the capital ships bring enough of a strike force to attack it!

Also Mines were terrible to face. I have experimental rules with them too, and after trying them they seem just as deadly as they were in the computer games. In fact one could even play some single-player challenges of trying to identify/destroy something at the center of a minefield. Yes, Type Cs launch a warhead at you when you kill one.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS