Gaming the Autoloader

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kencyr

Kencyr

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

In "Lure of the Expanse" adventure, pg 64-65 tell of making a deal in order to get autoloader tech for macroweapons.

How do various people game this?  My way (which players don't like) is to say that any macroweapon armed with a an auto-loader has no need for 100 crew per spaqce weapon takes up.  If a player wishes to they may either use that crew for replacements or use half the number saved for additional armsmen.

My players seem to think that if I let them have additional armsmen, I should let them have a morale boost as well due to tighter disipline.

Thoughts?

#2 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

Kencyr said:

In "Lure of the Expanse" adventure, pg 64-65 tell of making a deal in order to get autoloader tech for macroweapons.

How do various people game this?  My way (which players don't like) is to say that any macroweapon armed with a an auto-loader has no need for 100 crew per spaqce weapon takes up.  If a player wishes to they may either use that crew for replacements or use half the number saved for additional armsmen.

My players seem to think that if I let them have additional armsmen, I should let them have a morale boost as well due to tighter disipline.

Thoughts?

It's ultimately up to you, although you could make the argument (as I have done) that because you now have dedicated Armsmen your Crew Population goes down by an equivalent amount because now instead of attending to ship duties they are now being armsmen and less able to function in critical roles. As for morale boosts, your new armsmen might have high morale for being armsmen, but the rest of your crew might resent this select bunch who now do not have to spend their whole days toiling in the Plasma Conduits conducting the sacred quenching of the Machine Spirit's Thirst (stoking a boiler) every fourteen minutes and fifty-one seconds exactly.

My group hasn't gotten an auto-loader yet, but anything you want to rule is alright, but then you might also want to consider that if your auto-loader breaks and can't be repaired then your entire macrobattery will stop being useful until it works again. Alternatively although the Auto-Loader saves on manual labour, you stlil need crew to oversee it or be noted on your official manifests as loading the macrocannon so as not to arouse the anger of the Mechanicus.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#3 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

I would say if you want it to effect crew behavior have it effect competance, bump up the competance bonus one +10 notch when making tests related to ballistics with the macrocannons. My logic here is that you've replaced hordes of raggity ratings being herded around by a bunch of whip carrying bullies in favor of a machine that does the same job with alot less confusion and bull assuming it's properly maintained.

The armsmen should probably give you benefits aboard the ship outside of combat, except not in terms of morale but in terms of  dealing with the crew via intimidation tests when morale drops below the 70,40,10 thresholds and they become disgruntled. Unless of course the armsmen are disgruntled too, then I guess that should cause an equal penalty.

#4 wolph42

wolph42

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

macrobatteries are VERY powerfull, so be carefull what you give your players. Personally I would go for the equivalent crew per space can be used for something else:

e.g. 100 Space (total) and 100 Crew, with a MB space 2, that means that 2% of the crew is available for something else… maybe half of that cause of supervision.

In addition, you could say :

- that if the MB gets depressurized, it still functions (with e.g. 10% fail chance per attack),

- if its on fire you can vent it without morale loss

BUT

- if its damaged it will take more time/extra penalty to repair due to lack of crew.

• Utherix likes this

#5 Kencyr

Kencyr

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I would definitely not bump up any ballistics.  But I do like reassigning (a bit) of the crew.

I find the the ideas for depresserization/ fire/ damage to be inspired.

#6 Errant Knight

Errant Knight

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

I counted them as quality upgrades.  You can get a good-craftsmanship macrobattery that takes up 1 less space or a best-craftsmanship macrobattery that takes up 2 less spaces.

#7 Kencyr

Kencyr

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Now this I would disagree with.  Quality is determined when purchasing, I look on this as more of a ship upgrade such as those found in Hostile Aquisitions pg. 76-78.  Something done to personalize the ship.

#8 Utherix

Utherix

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

Lure of the Expanse states the land-ships have macrobatteries with the same stats as Mars-pattern macrobatteries. 

Therefore, I would say adding autoloaded macrocannons to your ship simply means that the  crew usually designated for loading the macrocannons, can now be used for other things, or removed, such as replacing them with armsmen, or replacing their quarters with a ship component.

Depressurization could still mess with the components, so I'm not sure about that, but I do tend to agree that you could vent it without morale loss.

#9 Santiago

Santiago

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

Autoloaders work faster according to the fluff, add one strength or so

#10 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

I wouldn't put away the gun rating s and crews just yet. There's a reason why that fell out of favour, and it isn't just because the Imperium of Man felt like being more inhumane.

These things will break down, get damaged, be possessed by daemons, even all of the above at the same time.

I wouldn't be so quick to reassign those guys.

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS