Custom Items, Allies and Skills

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:08 AM

There isn't a thread for items, allies and skill so I figured it's best to open a general thread for them rather than people openning threads for them or even worse- decide that a couple of items don't worth their own thread.

#2 Frank

Frank

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:14 AM

kroen said:

There isn't a thread for items, allies and skill so I figured it's best to open a general thread for them rather than people openning threads for them or even worse- decide that a couple of items don't worth their own thread.

What do you think about this skill?

I don't like the way it interacts with this skill:

In general "has big numbers across the board" is incredibly unsatisfying as an ability. Even when it's good, it's bad for the game and should not happen.

-Frank

#3 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:21 AM

Some players would find it a breeze not to deal with focus for the rest of the game. And if they have a decent character, a +1 on everything and a smart skill-sliding would ensure they would be pretty good at just about anything.

Btw, notice I've added more skills.

#4 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:33 AM

And what about this?

#5 Frank

Frank

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:09 AM

kroen said:

And what about this?

That is straight up the most overpowered skill. I would never let that into a game.

In general, Focus s an interesting and important part of the game. Making skills that completely obviate Focus is ot interesting or good. It is bad for the game.

-Frank

#6 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:17 AM

So I'm guessing my vanilla skills are okay :)

#7 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:19 AM

#8 thorgrim

thorgrim

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

What thematic reason is there for a shotgun and a pistol to not be physical weapons? Especially modern weapons in a 1920's setting, apart from that you want common items that break the rules?

#9 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

If you need theme I can replace Desert Eagle with Holy Katana and Tactical Shotgun with Blessed Crossbow. What I want? I want weapons that are good in any situation, and that can easily slay mummies and colours.

#10 thorgrim

thorgrim

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

If all they are for is to bypass the resistances of monsters you don't like, why not just remove them from the cup? Creating items like this makes every monster with a resistance easier to defeat, instead of just the ones you don't like. I'm not trying to tell you off for them or anything, I encourage creativity, but items like these I think are far too overpowered. The tactical shotgun against the Colour out of Space instantly gives you better than average odds to defeat it, without even factoring in your Fight.

#11 Frank

Frank

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:33 AM

Really? I couldn't help but feel the opposite. I'd way rather have a .45 or a carbine rifle than that desert eagle/holy katana. If you go up against an enemy with Physical resistance, you can just use a physical weapon. Even a +3 weapon like a .357 provides a +2 bonus on those enemies, and against enemies without physical resistance they perform much much better. And for what, half the cost? Those weapons are lame and I would never buy them.

Enemies that have actual physical immunity are very rare. And they are supposed to be special. And even against the Color you always have the option of the Red Sign and a hand gun. There's just no reason - at all - for there to be weapons that provide very small bonuses that don't count as physical or magical. If you want small bonuses that are always helpful, go get an ally. Or the Martial Arts skill even.

-Frank

#12 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:06 AM

:(

How about this?

if it's still not okay then maybe I'll change that in order to ignore magical immunity you need to spend 2 clue tokens?

One more item:

#13 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:42 AM

What do you think of this for your Silver Bullets instead of a bonus to Combat checks?
"Exhaust: Choose a Gun and it becomes Magical for the Combat."

#14 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:49 AM

kroen said:

So I'm guessing my vanilla skills are okay :)

Except for the +2 Sneak -1 Speed.  I think most players wouldn't want that.  Speed is usually more useful than sneak, and having a crippled speed investigator can be very problematic— generally speaking, I don't think it's worth it even as a two to one trade.  Perhaps you should consider ignoring the parallelism for that card.

#15 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

The Silver Bullets are totally overpowered.  A dollar for a +3 combat bonus?  Yes please.  And it's an inexpensive item to begin with.  Perhaps if it cost 6 bucks to buy, and 2 bucks to refresh.

As for blessed Katana...  While I generally agree with what has been said on the board (about circumventing immunities) perhaps if you brought it down to a +3 bonus that would be more tolerable in the eyes of our fellow forumites.  I mean, $7 for a +3 weapon is a bit steep (except in a few rare cases) so it would probably be balanced.

#16 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

dkw said:

What do you think of this for your Silver Bullets instead of a bonus to Combat checks?
"Exhaust: Choose a Gun and it becomes Magical for the Combat."

Too narrow...

#17 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:58 AM

Avi_dreader said:

The Silver Bullets are totally overpowered.  A dollar for a +3 combat bonus?  Yes please.  And it's an inexpensive item to begin with.  Perhaps if it cost 6 bucks to buy, and 2 bucks to refresh.

As for blessed Katana...  While I generally agree with what has been said on the board (about circumventing immunities) perhaps if you brought it down to a +3 bonus that would be more tolerable in the eyes of our fellow forumites.  I mean, $7 for a +3 weapon is a bit steep (except in a few rare cases) so it would probably be balanced.

I would agree +3 only if it became a one-handed weapon, but 7$ for +3 two-handed is insanely weak, no matter what abilities it has.

#18 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:33 AM

kroen said:

Avi_dreader said:

I would agree +3 only if it became a one-handed weapon, but 7$ for +3 two-handed is insanely weak, no matter what abilities it has.

Exactly.  My point being that creating a strong weapon that can punch through immunities undermines a large chunk of the game design (which is what many of the other posts prior to mine were about).  Hrm...  Maybe if you upped the price to $9 it would be okay to keep it at four...

---

Alternatively, you could make text that states that it counts both as a physical and magical weapon (this would make it so it could only circumvent monsters that only have Mag. Immunity.  ::Sigh::  Honestly I have no idea how to balance a weapon like that...  Playing around with immunities is problematic and touches on a ton of game balance issues.  Red Sign is pretty much the only way of getting around immunities (a little), and that basically requires you to temporarily cut off a hand :')

Considering that it's kindof like a combination of Red Sign (that can't fizzle and meele fighters can cast) and a one handed weapon, the attack shouldn't be very high.

#19 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

#20 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

and your complaining about Call AO lol $4 everything becomes a shotgun ha ha evil 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS