Jump to content



Photo

Unaligned Dark Apostles get -30 penalty on Rituals?


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

    Member

  • Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:45 AM

If you look at the new table of modifiers for Rituals (found in the Tome of Excess), you'll see that Dark Apostles get a -30 penalty towards all rituals dedicated to any god they are not aligned towards. It doesn't say towards gods in opposition to their alignment - which would be fine - just those they are not aligned with.

This means that they have an Archetype power which exists soley to mitigate this heafty weakness hidden away on a table. So the priests of Chaos Undivided (which many of the Dark Apostles would be) are inferior ritualists to just about every other Heretic. Lame.


Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

 

Now Ignoring: Nobody.


#2 BrianDavion

BrianDavion

    Member

  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

I've not got TOE yet but if there's a rule in it that doesn't work quite right for you and goes against the thematics of the setting (which in this case it seems to) house rule it



#3 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

    Member

  • Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

BrianDavion said:

I've not got TOE yet but if there's a rule in it that doesn't work quite right for you and goes against the thematics of the setting (which in this case it seems to) house rule it

This is about as helpful as telling someone that they don't have to order foods they don't like off of a menu. Stating the obvious to deflect criticism of a product doesn't address why such a silly thing exists in the rules to begin with.


Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

 

Now Ignoring: Nobody.


#4 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

    Member

  • Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

When I read the description of Dark Devotion, I get the impression that even if Dark Apostle is Aligned to Khorne he can still use Infamy to Construct Monument to Tzeentch (Why would any true follower of Khorne summon Tzeentchian daemon, you might ask? To offer the cowardly Sorcerous daemons skull to his Master) and gain that +30 to rolls for Rites & Rituals of Tzeench when they use them there. But if they use Rites & Rituals of other Chaos Gods there,  example Nurgle they gain the -30 to rolls.

In the Expanded Ritual Modifiers it gives impression that forementioned Khorne Aligned Dark Apostle would get -30 to all other Rites & Rituals concerning Tzeentch, Nurgle & Slaanesh. But as I mentioned before he might mitigate the -30 to his rolls by building Monument dedigated to Tzeentch, Nurgle or Slaanesh. Until FFG makes official Errata concerning this I will use my own interpretation.


Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#5 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

    Member

  • Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

This is why we need a more comprehensive errata document.  Do we know who wrote that section?  Would it be possible to get in touch with them and ask them what they meant?



#6 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

    Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

  • Members
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:05 AM

HappyDaze said:

If you look at the new table of modifiers for Rituals (found in the Tome of Excess), you'll see that Dark Apostles get a -30 penalty towards all rituals dedicated to any god they are not aligned towards. It doesn't say towards gods in opposition to their alignment - which would be fine - just those they are not aligned with.

This means that they have an Archetype power which exists soley to mitigate this heafty weakness hidden away on a table. So the priests of Chaos Undivided (which many of the Dark Apostles would be) are inferior ritualists to just about every other Heretic. Lame.




A preacher who can't decide who he's preaching for suffers penalties? Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

BYE


Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.


#7 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

    Member

  • Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:32 AM

Read the book. Dark Apostles most commonly remain unaligned and worship the four gods as a pantheon. There's nothing undecided about what they do.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

 

Now Ignoring: Nobody.


#8 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

    Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

  • Members
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

And those that choose to worship all the Chaos Gods don't get the same boon as one who dedicates themselves fully to a single Chaos God. Again, I don't see the issue. The Chaos Gods all hate one another. If Khorne sees a preacher going on about Tzeentch, Nurgle and especially Slaanesh in equal measure to himself, he's not going to be as generous as he would be to one who is dedicated to Khorne and Khorne alone.

BYE


Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.


#9 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

    Member

  • Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

H.B.M.C. said:

 

And those that choose to worship all the Chaos Gods don't get the same boon as one who dedicates themselves fully to a single Chaos God. Again, I don't see the issue. The Chaos Gods all hate one another. If Khorne sees a preacher going on about Tzeentch, Nurgle and especially Slaanesh in equal measure to himself, he's not going to be as generous as he would be to one who is dedicated to Khorne and Khorne alone.

BYE

 

 

It's not about the boon, it's about the penalty. Consider this:

Unaligned of any archetype (except Dark Apostle) conducting a ritual dedicated to any of the Dark Powers: No modifier

Unaligned Dark Apostle conducting a ritual dedicated to any of the Dark Powers: -30 penalty

That's just crap considering that - in the fluff - the majority of Dark Apostles are Unaligned and they are still some of the best at conducting rituals of all types.

H.B.M.C., did you wirte this particular section of the rules? If so, then your writer's blindness is telling.


Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

 

Now Ignoring: Nobody.


#10 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

    Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

  • Members
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

I did not write the rules for the Dark Apostle.

BYE


Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.





© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS