New Runner Faction?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bhosp

bhosp

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Have I mentioned that I think the government/law enforcement might be a cool idea for a fourth runner faction someday yet? Because I think today, the day after it turned out that the NSA is all up in all our agendas after all, might be a good time to talk about that.

#2 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

My guess is, in the Android universe, the corporations probably own most of the police/law enforcement.  

#3 decPL

decPL

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Given that corporations seem to fight with each other constantly makes it a viable faction; a somewhat different flavor would be a hired net-hitman.

#4 Brigaldio

Brigaldio

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

I'm actually hoping for some kind of magic/ tech mix for a faction.  Call em Netromancers or something.  All their cards can be fantasy influx themed.  Zombie Horde as an icebreaker?  Summoning Pentacle as a Console?  I'd go for it.

Now blogging Netrunner, Warmachine, Malifaux, Dust: Warfare, and anything else that catches my interest at Dice Minus Seven.

#5 Encephalon101

Encephalon101

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:25 AM

I had an idea for a new runner class quite similar to the gov't idea.

Basically inspired by NSA/CIA information handlers, this new runner class would have the potential to access information much faster then other runners, but not steal/trash what is accessed.

The Runner:

Name: The Captain

Deck: 45

Influence: 15 (or 20, which depends on if they get there own cards printed or are primarily borrowing from other runners)

Ability: Once per turn, the runner may expose any one installed card unless the Corp pays 1 credit.

My idea behind the ability was the runner is always threatening to receive info from the corp unless the corp decides to pay the runner off.

To give the runner the ability to pay 1 to expose a card (even once per turn) is just too good.

So I felt if you gave the corp the possibility to deny the exposing of a card, the ability isn't as crazy.

Let me know what you guys think.

#6 Algernon

Algernon

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:55 AM

A politically motivated runner faction would be cool (Bioroid equality anyone?). Or perhaps some sort of cyberpunk religious faction.

#7 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:26 AM

Brigaldio said:

I'm actually hoping for some kind of magic/ tech mix for a faction.  Call em Netromancers or something.  All their cards can be fantasy influx themed.  Zombie Horde as an icebreaker?  Summoning Pentacle as a Console?  I'd go for it.

Borrow from Shadowrun and call them technomancers. Problem solved. In that tabletop RPG, the technomancers use the net (or "matrix" as it's called in SR) to basically do the same things as mages, but in net space.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#8 ffaristocrat

ffaristocrat

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

I could see a Neutral runner faction with identities centered around the various political factions in the setting.

If they do decide to make a new Runner faction, it'll be in the fourth deluxe expansion set and that won't be for a couple years.

#9 richardtempura

richardtempura

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Isn't the Professor like a neutral faction?

He is a Shaper, but he can splash a lot of cards from the other identities…

#10 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

richardtempura said:

Isn't the Professor like a neutral faction?

He is a Shaper, but he can splash a lot of cards from the other identities…

Not yet he can't. There aren't enough OOF programs to outweigh the fact that there are a lot of cards he can never Influence at all.

#11 mephiston1216

mephiston1216

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

I think a really cool idea would be to have "corporate" runners; runners that work for corporations to steal trade secrets from other corporations. That would allow some pretty cool new breakers that were offensive versions of the existing corp ice as well as some pretty cool support cards showing the runner's corporate affiliation (rather than the underworld flavor of many of the current runners).

#12 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Honestly, a fourth faction would throw off the game's balance. Rock/paper/scissors is very much what netrunner is about. There are 3 main ICE and each faction has cards that fall under barrier/code gate/sentry.7 is a great balance for that.

I don't see a fourth runner adding anything specific. When star wars, AGoT added new factions, the core set already had cards for those factions. There was a huge backlash over FFG adding the Silver Twilight to CoC due to how imbalanced and powerful they were made to make up for a lower card pool.

Netrunner has multiple IDs in each faction, that's plenty room for design space without resorting to a fourth runner faction.
  • CommissarFeesh likes this

#13 CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:24 AM

I second that motion; I really don't see at this point what a fourth runner faction is going to add to the game.

#14 Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Shaper?

X-Wing:

Spoiler
Netrunner:
Spoiler
Star Wars LCG:
Spoiler

#15 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

I don't feel strongly one way or the other, personally. I do think that it is far more likely that the final "deluxe expansion" will likely include the last corp, and metric ton of neutral cards, rather then create a new faction.

The only faction I see as viable is, as some have mentioned either a current or splinter group of some government/military organization. This seems unlikely however, as our newest Red Queen would practically be the poster child for such a faction, and she is joining the anarchs.

It'd be fun to pick someones at FFGs brains at some point, and see the process by which they came up with and designed around the current faction system, which I feel like is quite elegant.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#16 CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

There was actually something about that somewhere. They apparently had a hard time coming up with runner factions until they decided to focus on motive rather than method. Wish I could remember where I read that.

#17 Damoel

Damoel

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

Hah. That ties in with a conversation over on DB. That makes sense, though. The idea of cohesive criminal factions isn't... broad enough to support 3 runners. This works out well, though. Criminals can be anything from two bit conmen to mafioso, shapers are the idealists, and anarchs... are... well... by nature, anything.

Fleet timez!

Anarchists: 3 A-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 6 X-Wing, 3 Z-95, 3 E-Wing, 2 HWK290, 2 YT-1300, 2 GR-75, 1 CR90

Good Guys: 6 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/AD, 3 TIE/D, 6 TIE/IN, 4 TIE/SA, 4 Phantom V38, 2 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Firespray-31

#18 kneedles

kneedles

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

I would be interested in seeing dual faction identities or agendas.  GOT has alliances or something that lets you splash cards, this could be an agenda that could work for either of two corps, representing a merger or shared goal.  Or an identity that let you splash from only two factions.

#19 CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Or an identity that let you splash from only two factions.

You mean like Custom Biotics: Engineered for Success?

#20 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

No, no, no, no, NO MAGIC IN ANDROIDVERSE.

I love Shadowrun like whoah, but Android is a pure SF setting.

If we did get any additional faction, I would hope that they would go back to the original setting and give us the "Law Enforcement" faction. There is a wealth of material from the board game in that direction. Floyd 2X3A7C and Caprice Nisei (aka Nisei 1.0) would easily fit in as runner identities with a motive to investigate the megacorporations. Caprice's desire to liberate her sisters is almost canonical.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS