Corrupted Adeptus Sororitas

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:04 AM

Basically, is it still cannon that non of the AS have ever fallen? I wanted to try usin g one as a character but don't know if it's legit.

#2 Sharp

Sharp

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:50 AM

I can't answer this for sure. I was always of the opinion that the Grey Knights are the only one where no member has ever fallen to Chaos. In addition I belive that Sororitas use the corruption track in Dark Heresy like all the other classes, but please correct me if I am wrong there. I belive that there was also a alternativ starter pack in the radicals handbook for a kind of expeled, but not fallen Sister.

#3 Amroth

Amroth

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

I don't know if it's been done but I don't see any issue with playing a fallen Adeptus Sororitas. If Inquisitors and Astartes can fall there is no reason why a Sister of Battle couldn't as well.

I had a concept of my own for making a fallen Sororitas using the renegade archetype and think it has a lot of room for interesting storylines and character development as well as allowing for a really cool back story.

Also remember we all shape the world to our own images when we play the game so if you want to do it I say go for it!

#4 Illithidelderbrain

Illithidelderbrain

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

From Codex Sisters of Battle (2nd Ed.) only one Sister has ever fallen to the Dark Powers.

Miriael Sabathiel

Of course, in additional literature, most especially in the graphic novel Daemonifuge, several Sisters were seduced and corrupted; and in Cain's Last Stand, where an entire Mission was converted. 

Naturally, I prefer to go with Codex only. (Since I have an SOB army, my opinion is skewed. Sue me)

#5 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Hey, I say go for it. Get yourself some light power armor and bolt weaponry at character creation.  

#6 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

Do you roll on the power armor customization shart if you get one at character creation? Hers hasn 't been wandering around the Vortex.

#7 Amroth

Amroth

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

By the rules you do but if you decide not to roll on it I don't see a problem with that or else you could factor the roll into her background somehow.

Also just because she hasn't been in the Screaming Vortex doesn't mean she can't have dedicated her armour to her new faith……

#8 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

If your GM is cool with it just assume you rolled the quality that gives you all of the systems operational, 'well maintained' or something like that, to represent the fact that it's recently been under the care of people who know what the hell they're doing.

#9 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

For what it's worth:

http://wh40k.lexican...rn#.UbE4CqJJNWI

Note- Ephrael is not the subject of your topic. Instead, you want the Sister controlled by a Daemon of Slaanesh sent to assassinate her…

=][=

#10 htsmithium

htsmithium

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:51 AM

i ran a game once where i let a girl play a corrupted sister hospitaler. we basicaly built her out of the dark herasey book and used the rules in black crusade to bring her over as a renegade ( dedicated to khorn to boot), as she was level one it was not that hard. She also happened to be the party medic so it all worked out…except this one time she injected some bloodletter blood just to see what would happen to the party psycer lol.

ding dong mala mortuus est,

quem veteres strigam

impii strigam

ding dong impiorum strigam mortuus est.

#11 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

Well this what I wound up with. A lot of XP are needed to buy requisite background skills.

I got her a hand flamer even though she doesn't have the Talent to use it (not enough XP) just to get some use out of the "power-supply tampeing roll" for the armor. Maybe I should just go with a laspistol instead.

The tentaive background is that she wanted to be leader of her convent, felt cheated out of it by the other sisters, Slaanesh whisper whisper whisper…

Race:                   Human

Archetype:          Renegade

Special Ability:   Adroit (Ballistic Skill)

Pride:                   Charm

Disgrace:             Deceit

Motivation:        Dominion

Alignment:          Unaligned (Slaanesh 2)

Weapon Skill:     41

Ballistic Skill:      42

Strength:             38

Toughness:         32

Agility:                 29

Intelligence:       40

Perception:         30

Willpower:          42

Fellowship:         46

Infamy:                25

Wounds:             11

Traits: The Quick and the Dead

Talents: Jaded, Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, Weapon Training (Bolt, Chain, Las, Primary, SP), Heavy Weapon Training (Flame), Catfall, Deadeye Shot, Takedown, Hip Shooting

Skills: Athletics (S), Awareness (Per), Charm (Fel), Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy, Imperial Creed, Imperium, War) (Int), Deceive (Fel), Dodge (Ag) +10, Intimidate (S), Linguistics (High Gothic, Low Gothic) (Int), Medicae (Int), Operate (Surface) (Ag), Parry (WS), Scholastic Lore (Imperial Creed, Tactica Imperialis) (Int), Survival (Per), Trade (Copyist) (Int)

Advancements: Scholastic Lore (Imperial Creed) (200), Common Lore (Imperium) (200), Linguistics (High Gothic) (200), Charm (200), Deceive (200)

Weapons: good-craftsmanship bolter, best-craftsmanship hand-flamer, best-craftsmanship chainsword

Armour: Common-craftsmanship light power armour with power-supply tampering, auto-senses, magnetized boot soles, and sustainable power source

Gear: Medikit, dataslate

Acquisitions: Light power armour, best-craftsmanship hand-flamer

#12 Amroth

Amroth

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

Nice job!

And once she masters that hand flamer she will be a true scourge of the galaxy. Perhaps one day she will lead her own convent after all, dedicated of course to the true gods and ready to drown the servants of the Corpse Emperor in the flames of retribution.

#13 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

No all I need is a game. :)

#14 pillowman

pillowman

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

btw inqusition can fall to chaos if you played SpaceMarine (the game for pc xbox and i think for PS) there is a inqusitor that where chaos and there are 2 chapters that cant fall to chaos its: grey knights and SpaceWolfs and there is only 3 chapters with all the space marine abilities (loyalists) DarkAngels,UltraMarines and greyknights hope this helps

#15 BrianDavion

BrianDavion

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

umm space wolves aren't special they can, and have fallen to chaos.

#16 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

As far as I care only the Grey Knights and the Adeptus Custades have remained totally resilient to Chaos. That an organization as large and diverse as the Sister of Battle would only produce a single Apostate in several millennia makes no sense to me. As I run my 40k millions of Adepta Sororitas have fallen throughout the years.

• bogi_khaosa likes this

#17 Night10194

Night10194

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Hell, I'd imagine Grey Knights and the like can Fall just like anyone else. They've just been lucky (or writer's darlings) so far.  Making someone's organization 'immune' to the kind of pride and human failing that leads to falling to Chaos seems, to me, to break with the most interesting element of Chaos. Everyone, Marine or Human, is tempted at some point. So if you want a Fallen Sororita or to write a story where the unthinkable happens and a Knight finally succumbs, go for it!

#18 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

Basically, is it still cannon that non of the AS have ever fallen? I wanted to try usin g one as a character but don't know if it's legit.

To quote Aaron Dembski-Bowden: "there is no canon". If you go by Codex fluff, the Sisters are incorruptible. If you go by Dark Millennium, only one has ever fallen. If you go by Daemonifuge, entire convents have been turned.

FFG's RPG has already taken a lot of liberties with the Adepta Sororitas, causing considerable differences to the original GW material, so I don't see why you shouldn't make use of this lack of consistency and follow through with your idea, if you think it fits into your game. 40k is a setting each of us is supposed to take possession of. Gav Thorpe explained this a bit on his blog.

So, don't be afraid to insert your own ideas and change things that you don't like. The only thing I'd recommend is making sure the players in your group are with you on that! One of the worst things that could happen is when the GM has a different idea of the world than one or more of his/her players, as it may cause a breach in immersion!

I can't answer this for sure. I was always of the opinion that the Grey Knights are the only one where no member has ever fallen to Chaos. In addition I belive that Sororitas use the corruption track in Dark Heresy like all the other classes, but please correct me if I am wrong there. I belive that there was also a alternativ starter pack in the radicals handbook for a kind of expeled, but not fallen Sister.

Interestingly, the current GK Codex mentions an occurrence where the Grey Knights apparently depended on the Adepta Sororitas to protect them from corruption, as they used the blood of the Sisters to "inoculate" themselves against the Bloodtide.

It is of note that this is but a circumstancial account, but still fascinating that, apparently, the Grey Knight's immunity against Chaos is not an innate ability but rather stems from their knowledge on how to achieve it.

But it really depends on what sources one is looking at, because this is not a unified setting, and just because one book says something it need not be the same in another.

For example, the Exiled Sister in the Radical's Handbook you're thinking of was introduced as a Latent Psyker whose powers awakened after having joined a convent, causing her to be thrown out. This is incompatible to GW's own fluff, which flat out stated that "no Adepta Sororitas character will ever have psychic powers of any sort" - presumably referring to purity tests carried out in the Schola Progenium, where the psyker gene would have been discovered before the applicant would have even been considered for the Sisterhood.

But Dark Heresy is different in this regard, too, for it allows not only Schola but also Feudal World background for Sisters.

As for what makes the Sisters more resilient to corruption in GW's fluff ... they've been indoctrinated since infancy and don't even ever had another life they could remember and live in a heavily reglemented monastic lifestyle, isolated from the outside world, full of penance and humility. And it's not that they couldn't get corrupted at all, but that they live under such an extreme level of control that the slightest deviation results in severe chastisement, up to and including transfer into the Repentia. Under such conditions, it's difficult for corruption to take root and develop into something serious.

I like how the short story "Daemonblood" from Ben Counter touches upon this interpretation:

"What curiously small creatures you are to present such a thorn in my side." The words roared and rumbled through the air, thick with dark amusement. "What little bundles of ignorant flesh. I am Parmenides, called the Vile, chosen Prince of Nurgle. I am the virus which the Plague God sends to infect your mortal worlds. I am the festering in your wounded empire. Do creatures as insignificant as yourselves have names too, I wonder?" 
"Sergeant Castus of the Ultramarines, Second Company", the Marine replied in a defiant voice, as if he were trying to impress the daemon prince. 
The horrific gaze turned to Aescarion, questioning. 
"I would not give you my name, though it cost my soul", the Battle Sister snarled, and she gripped her axe tighter. 
"Such a shame", Parmenides replied. "But the girl I can understand. Her mind is most infertile. What has she ever questioned? They teach her and she believes." 

From Codex Sisters of Battle (2nd Ed.) only one Sister has ever fallen to the Dark Powers.

Miriael Sabathiel

Is that from Lexicanum? Because it's wrong. The Codex does not mention Miriael at all - that character is mentioned solely in the Sabretooth "Dark Millennium" TCG and the accompanying short story "The Invitation" from Dan Abnett.

Don't blindly trust the wikis. Always check the sources for yourself!

That being said, her original fluff is so awesome and badass that I have adopted it into my personal interpretation of the setting, too.  :ph34r:

As far as I care only the Grey Knights and the Adeptus Custades have remained totally resilient to Chaos. That an organization as large and diverse as the Sister of Battle would only produce a single Apostate in several millennia makes no sense to me. As I run my 40k millions of Adepta Sororitas have fallen throughout the years.

Well, if you go by GW fluff, Sisters of Battle would seem to number in the tens of thousands, not millions.  ;)

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#19 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:26 AM

Well, if you go by GW fluff, Sisters of Battle would seem to number in the tens of thousands, not millions.  ;)

Answer: Really? I thought they were a HUGE organization capable to launching wars of their own. But well, tjhat's something I'll need to change in my 40k.

Edited by Gurkhal, 10 August 2013 - 02:26 AM.

#20 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

Really? I thought they were a HUGE organization capable to launching wars of their own. But well, tjhat's something I'll need to change in my 40k.

Going by Codex fluff, the six Major Orders have ~3.000-4.000 Battle Sisters each, and these six are the ones you see waging the larger wars throughout Imperial space and beyond. There is also an undefined number of Minor Orders with ~100 Sisters (+/-50) that take care of local stuff such as guarding a shrine or protecting a pilgrim route etc, who are much more spread out, and due to this distribution an ideal contact for the Inquisition.

If the Ecclesiarchy goes to war, it also raises Frateris Militia bands from the local population, and often convinces elements of the Imperial Guard to join in the endeavour. In such cases, the SoB are both the backbone and the spearhead of the army, but not its largest component. Here and here are two Force Disposition Charts from two different wars in GW's books where you can compare the size of the SoB contingent to that of the Astartes or the Guard.

But yeah, I'd say FFG's own current version of the Sororitas actually supports your vision of the setting. Unless we really think that the Calixis sector is so important that the Sisterhood would send a full third of one of its six Major Orders there. And more.   ;)

With Blood of Martyrs, the new writers have buffed those numbers considerably compared to the old Black Industries material - back when the Inquisitor's Handbook was new, there were only 50 Battle Sisters in the sector, and even that was said to be unusual.

[edit] To add something for OP, this is a quick description of Miriael I posted some time ago - perhaps it (together with the attached links) helps to flesh out a similar character for your campaign?

[...] someone who did catch my eye was Miriael Sabathiel, the Fallen Battle Sister and Champion of Slaanesh. In the material published by Sabertooth as they had the license, she was a major power in the struggle for the Pyrus Reach, having her own warband complete with an Inferno-class battlecruiser for a flagship and surrounding herself with a bunch of Daemonettes and a bodyguard of Emperors Children CSM Terminators, as well as a bunch of other Chaos Marines and Cultists as foot troops. Dan Abnett once wrote a short story about her origin.

Edited by Lynata, 10 August 2013 - 02:56 PM.

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS