Photo

WFRP3 games looking for players for Maptool and Fantasy Grounds (tonight and future)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

One of our pals here from the board is running a DRACHENFELS WFRP3 game tonight.  He's looking for players.  

They are using MAPTOOL, the free-downloadable virtual tabletop. 

http://www.p-mi.com/...78&p=1205#p1205

Other games are also announced on that forum.

Any questions?

jh

#2 Crazy Aido

Crazy Aido

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Yeah, who is this fruitcake who's running this game?

Oh wait, it's me.

I'm actually using roll20 at the moment, because I'm just that crap at drawing maps and I need a less than fulfilling interface. Also, port forwarding was it's own little nightmare. I would go back to maptools if I sort the setup out. Which might happen.

But yes, send me a message on the forum linked above, (or through this forum if you're lazy) and I'll try and sort you out with a character ASAP.

#3 GoblynKing

GoblynKing

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:16 AM

Hey Aido,  are you using or do you plan on using Fantasy Grounds? I'm considering plopping down the $150 for the Ultimate License (which would allow my players to connect and play for free) since my players schedules are all over the place lately and the couple of roll20 sessions I've run were a hit. I'm a bit underwhelmed by roll20's cababilities though, and the lack of Warhammer specific content for roll20 is rather frustrating. What's your opinion of Fantasy Grounds for Warhammer Fantasy?

#4 Crazy Aido

Crazy Aido

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

What do I think of fantasy grounds?

Well it looks fantastic.

I don't have the capital to throw on an ultimate licence, but I look forward to having it, at some stage maybe. Honestly, I don't really mind asking players to be honest with me and just tell me what they're rolling, at the moment, using even a basic map programme seems to work.

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

I've run a lot of games on Maptool over the years for 3e, 2e, and D&D/Pathfinder.  I usually just scan in the map and put up line of sight blockers.  I do not make my maps pretty.  They are purely representational - just like a battlemat and markers.  Some people have all the time in the world to go to town with details.  Good for them.  I'd love to play in their games :)

Anyways, my gripes: Every time I need to Port-Forward, I have to look up how to do it, but once it's done, I don't have to deal with it anymore.  It's the single thing that probably keeps me from running them more.  I understand that there's some "Hamachi" set up that is obviously easy to use if you're a computer genius (as you can usually tell on the rptools forums when someone says, "oh, you don't know how to port forward and/or use hamachi?  what, are you a mental retard?"   "Well, yes, I am a mental retard, and could you please tell me how to port forward and/or use hamachi without assuming that I work on computers for a living?"    Actually I shouldn't be so hard on them.  They're actually pretty nice to retards like me on the RPTools forums

The same goes for libraries. For those who aren't experts, it's a steep amount of learning curve and the retention of what you have to learn just isn't there unless you're constantly dealing with it.

A dice roller is really all I need.  I can report the effects or say them over skype.  I've found it quicker to track monsters and (and my own characters) at home on paper or simply manually plunking in a few wounds.  I don't have the time or need to type in 6,000 data entries or to have the entire game automated.  If I wanted that, I'd just play the WAR mmo.  Although it simplifies the incredibly difficult math of subtracting a soak of 4 from 9 wounds, it just requires time to mess with all that stuff.

I think that's beauty of a virtual tabletop though.  The GM still has to tell the story over Skype.  The map is simply there for combats and representation.  The Character sheets can be hooked up to macros to ease up the burden of adding 5+4 (which can be really hard) to be able to say "I did 9 wounds to the monster."   :)   It works really well for this game to have a Dice roller.  The abstract combat is pretty easy to deal with.  The automated decks of cards are handy as well..  I commend all of those who have done work on those things.   You can go as simple or complex as need be.

Best,

jh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS