Adroid Netrunner or Star Wars LCG

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hasharin

Hasharin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

So once again the time has come where I find myself with some cash but dont know where to spend it. So heres my question, Android Netrunner or Star Wars LCG? I really like the theme of Star Wars so right now I'm leaning a bit towards that, but the gameplay of Adroid looks a bit more promising. Now I know this isnt the right place to put questions about Star Wars but i was wondering if any of you could name some of the pros and cons of both. Thanks!

#2 Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

I haven't played the Star Wars LCG, so I can't comment on it directly. I can say that everyone I know who has played both prefer Netrunner.

As far as Netrunner goes, I'm not a fan of the cyber-punk setting at all. It has no appeal to me and I would have never bought this game without first being introduced to it through a friend. Despite the theme, I love this game - it's just that well designed, the best designed LCG/CCG that I've ever played. What I like most about it is the level of creativity in deck building and in game decisions that is available. It's not a game where you need to copy tournament winning decks to do well, if anything, unpredictibility in your deck and play are your best friends.

I'm sure the Star Wars LCG is a fine game - I've never played a bad Fantasy Flight game (a few good games with bad rule-books though), but I would recommend Netrunner. You should probably check out your local play groups first as that would be a deciding factor for me. Netrunner is best enjoyed when played against a variety of people/decks.

#3 Darkjawa

Darkjawa

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Well first of all, is there a group of players in your area for either one? If you actually want to play games with people, that may be factor to seriously consider. Now for pure opinion:

I just sold off my Star Wars LCG collection. I have been playing both games since they came out, and been a SW fan all my life (I will be 40 later this year). I just don't like some of the mechanics in the Star Wars game. Yoda taking out a devestator?? A little too wonky for me. I also can't stand the whole edge battle mechanic. On the other hand, Netrunner seems very smooth and all parts of it make sense to me.

Hope this helps

#4 The_Crow86

The_Crow86

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

As always, most is about your own preferences. Personally, I play both games, but i am more into the Star Wars LCG because of the setting and especially the bluffing in the edge battles.

As Darkjawa said, Yoda taking out a Devastator is not the best story-consistent situation, but in regard of the gameplay necessary I think. I remember here situations in the old Star Wars CCG where one side played a fleet deck and the other a character deck and nearly had no interaction during the game at all.

My suggestion would be: Check for which game there are more players in your region, and if there are enough who play both games, let them show you the game mechanics of both and then make a decision.

#5 radioactivemouse

radioactivemouse

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

Star Wars vs. Netrunner. 

Definite pros and cons to both. I'm currently playing both games and current with expansions right now. 

Let's start with Netrunner since it came out first. 

Netrunner:

Pros: It's a deep game. Period. A lot of the game is not necessarily in the cards, but in the mind game trying to psyche-out your opponent or out-think them. The cards facilitate some great strategy and it's a very well thought out game. In addition, I really like the theme and every card fits within the scope of the game. With that said, there's potential for a lot of longevity. It may not have the most recognizeable theme, but whatever theme it has is executed perfectly in this game. Every corporation/faction has very distinct strategies and the influence points add a lot of spice to the game. Some have regarded this game as the "perfect card game", and I would be mostly in agreeance. 

Cons: It's a deep game. Playing a game makes my mind hurt (but that's probably cause I'm not a very good bluffer) and a game can last anywhere from a few turns to well over 2 hours, which makes a "quick game", not necessarily "quick" or "convenient". Finding people to play may be a bit more difficult since people are not as familiar with Netrunner as they are with the Star Wars universe, but whatever community there is are hardcore. If you really want to go tourney, it is highly recommended you get 3 core sets so that you can get the maximum amount of cards available. 

Star Wars: 

Pros: It's a strictly timed game. This may sound like a negative, but you ALWAYS know where you are in the game via Death Star dial. This is great for determining if you can "squeeze a game in" or not. No matter what, a game will never go longer than 24 "turns" (12 light, 12 dark)…unless it's a really, and I mean REALLY rare circumstance. Irregardless of certain card combos, you really feel up against the wall if you're Light Side and you really feel like you have some measure of "control" if you're Dark Side. Deck Building is far simpler: at least 10 objectives per deck. Each objective MUST have its compliment of 5 cards, so you'll never run into weird deck sizes like 61 or 49. Just the fact that it IS Star Wars just puts it as a positive. You'll get people to at least WANT to play based solely on the fact it's Star Wars. To maximize the cards, you only need 2 core sets, and there's not too many "extra cards" to feel like you've wasted money when you've bought the second set.

Cons: The obvious con that comes to mind is the awkwardness of some card combos which makes for some inconsistent theming issues. Rancor can defeat an X-Wing? Commit Han Solo to the Force? It goes without saying. You need to just flow with it and if you're that picky about the fact that some weenie Interrogation Droid can somehow stop a Y-Wing from attacking, then just simply don't play. I just laugh it off; it's a GAME. In addition, there's so many "extra" stuff in this game it's ridiculous. With Netrunner, you can at least use an iPad app to organize credits, virus counters, etc. But Star Wars, you NEED the focus, damage, and shield tokens, force cards, Death Star dial, and Balance…thingie (you might even need "+ damage capacity" tokens because of the new cards in the expansion) JUST to play the game. Lose one piece (with exception with focus, shield, and damage) and it's not a complete game. It's a little much, but it's their way of getting around the tap mechanic and also provides a way of delaying a card a few turns. 

Overall, as with all FFG games, you need to make sure you're organized and keep track of all your chits…since there are many in both games. I typically have to commit more mind power to Netrunner than I need with Star Wars just because bluffing is such a huge part of Netrunner. I've had really good games and some overwhelming victories/defeats with both games, so challenge is fairly even with the scale tipping slightly to Netrunner. Both games are asymmetrical (each side has different objectives) in nature, but Netrunner is FAR more asymmetrical than Star Wars. 

As far as teaching the game, I have to give it to Star Wars being easier to teach/learn. Most of the cards are the same (as far as format) between Light Side and Dark Side, so the only real divergence is in the objectives. Netrunner's Corporation cards are just completely different than the Runner's cards…they are even played differently. Regardless of how "easy" people say Netrunner is to learn, they cannot argue that it requires its own game lingo and for some that can be hard to process on a first (or more) playthrough. 

I know the Star Wars theme can be inconsistent, but let's face it, does anyone know where I can find a ship that can do the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs (or whatever that meant)? Explain how a measure of distance somehow equaled a measure of time and I'll somehow explain how a Rancor can take down Home One. 

All kidding aside, I am not siding with one or the other game. Both have great pros and cons. Hope this helps. 

#6 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

Star Wars seems to have great deck building simplicity, however, the mechanics, at the moment, seem lazy. Massive swings also. Someone said it was easier to teach, but having demo-ed both to high school students, I can easily say they are equally as difficult.

You will likely have more playres for Star Wars, but you might have BETTER players for Netrunner.

#7 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

For a short:

Netrunner: more complex, more maind game, needs opponent with own cards (surprices! and not knowing what opponent have in his sleeves is very important part of this game), bluffing!

Star wars: quick, more simple, very streamlined, can be played allso with one player cards, because adwantage of knowing opponent cards is not so big (not meaningles ofcource! Surprises are allways good)

Edited by Hannibal_pjv, 05 July 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#8 TonganJedi

TonganJedi

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'm not sure comparing SWLCG with ANRLCG is valid. They each have different themes, different mechanics…they appeal in different ways.

I enjoy SW because it's easier to teach/learn, more intense, and the games frequently come down to the wire. The deck-building is simplified. The Edge Battle mechanic is a lot of fun (curse you , Twist of Fate!) and I rarely get my panties in a twist over things like Emperor Palpatine killing Home One with force lightning. I'm smart enough to abstract it out and don't feel the need to be so literal. This isn't the Decipher or WotC CCG after all.  It helps to be a fan of the SW universe, but a non-fan can enjoy the game play as well. It also helps that I'm fairly good at it and I have a group of friends who play regularly.

I enjoy Netrunner because there are so many factions and so many identities involved, there are myriad ways to build decks and win. There's no such thing as an unbeatable deck and every card change you make can have HUGE repercussions on your deck's characteristics. Netrunner has a great deal more bluffing and it's mechanics are more complicated than SW, so it's not as user-friendly to new gamers. Veteran gamers, however, see the potential for countless strategies on either side of the net. I also have a big group of friends who play regularly. I suck at this game but it makes me want to be better.

My advice?

1) Check your local area for active players. There's nothing worse than buying into a new card game only to discover no one's playing near you.

2) Play both of them. Play them multiple times. The best way to figure out which you prefer is to give them a spin!

3) Take your time.  LCGs can be a long-term investment so don't jump into it without doing your homework.

Good luck!

#9 Hasharin

Hasharin

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

Thanks everyone. After much deliberation and talking with my friends i think im going with Star wars as its simpler and there are more people who are willing to play. Plus I love star wars…

#10 galonso

galonso

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

Mistake. Netrunner is a superior game in my opinion. Good luck and have fun.

#11 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

galonso said:

Mistake. Netrunner is a superior game in my opinion. Good luck and have fun.

YEAH. That will totally convince him to buy ANR.

#12 decPL

decPL

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:05 AM

radioactivemouse said:

I know the Star Wars theme can be inconsistent, but let's face it, does anyone know where I can find a ship that can do the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs (or whatever that meant)? Explain how a measure of distance somehow equaled a measure of time and I'll somehow explain how a Rancor can take down Home One. 

Challenge accepted :)

Most smugglers in SW would use top-notch hyperdrives, where the difference in speed would not be that significant. On the other hand, in the particular case of Kessel Run, the notable obstacle that affected the length of the trip (and thus it's time) was the Maw black hole cluster, which caused the 'safe route' to run a semi-circle around it with a total length of 18 parsecs. Han boasted that he managed to navigate a much shorter path, travelling only 12 parsecs.

Your turn :)

#13 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

Darkjawa said:

Yoda taking out a devestator?? A little too wonky for me.

For being a Star Wars fan, you should know that, in that universe, there have been cases of Jedi barely 1/2 as powerful as Yoda bringing down star destroyers.

I can understand if you're not a fan of the edge battle mechanic (I personally like it, but to each their own), but if you're gonna down a game for its "flavor," pick a better subject.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#14 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

radioactivemouse said:

A parsec is a unit of distance for hyperspace jumps (in this context). 12 parsecs is essentially 12 jumps which takes less time than say 20 jumps (which is the average for the Kessel Run).

Han brags about this because, using only 12 jumps, that meant he was a good enough pilot, with a good enough ship, to take his ship closer to the numerous gravity wells on this run than any other ship could possibly go and still make it through.

#15 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

decPL said:

radioactivemouse said:

Challenge accepted :)

Most smugglers in SW would use top-notch hyperdrives, where the difference in speed would not be that significant. On the other hand, in the particular case of Kessel Run, the notable obstacle that affected the length of the trip (and thus it's time) was the Maw black hole cluster, which caused the 'safe route' to run a semi-circle around it with a total length of 18 parsecs. Han boasted that he managed to navigate a much shorter path, travelling only 12 parsecs.

Your turn :)

oops. should've scrolled down further before answering. yours is, indeed, a more detailed description.

#16 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hasharin said:

Thanks everyone. After much deliberation and talking with my friends i think im going with Star wars as its simpler and there are more people who are willing to play. Plus I love star wars…

Good choice and all good reasons. I prefer Star Wars over Netrunner myself and have played both games a lot. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS