The Tragic Quests of Middle Earth

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

Here be the chronicle of my travels through Middle Earth with Lord of the Rings The Card Game. These will most likely  all be solo games and I will be starting at the beginning of the quest lines and working my way forward.

I'm going to be using a semi limited card pool. A Cycle pool so to speak. Meaning, that each delux expantion has its own associated 6 pack cycle.. and that is a pool. So the Mirkwood Pool is CORE + The Mirkwood cycle. The Darowdelf Pool is CORE + The Mirkwood cycle + Kaz + the  Darrowdelf cycle. Etc etc.

I'm going to try and show a different deck every time, and will attempt to not favor any sphere or hero.. Though that may be hard at the start as Lore / Spirit was really so strong!

Hope you enjoy it ...

Have Fun and ROLL HIGH!
--Tragic

The Tragic Quests of Middle Earth
Full Playlist

Mirkwood CycleDwarrowdelf Cycle
  • to be continued

Edited by TragicTheBlathering, 19 November 2014 - 03:06 PM.

• faith_star83, shipwreck and MightyRauros like this

#2 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

So I started playing LoTR-LCG again recently. So this is my 1st video in a long time on this game. I am a bit rusty!

Anyway, this is my 1st video in a series I plan to do. I will be doing a video on each quest released. Starting with the Core Set. I'll try and make a new deck each time and aim for variety.

CardGameDB can be slow in approving decks, so if the deck list is not posted, just check back a little latter as it will eventually go up!

This is CORE using MIRKWOOD POOL.

Subscribe to this thread, as I will update the THREAD not spam the video section with videos! So there will be one video for each Section.. Core, Mirkwood, Khaz etc etc.

Now I was going for a "raw" kind of gameplay feel here, so there is little editing.. it is pretty much real time. I thought it might be fun to go with out cuts and stuff. This can make the video a bit longer so let me know what you think. I wanted it to look smoother and give you uys a chance while watching to decide on what you would do as I decide what to do. If you want I can in future edit out thinking and it will be much faster but there will be jump cuts.. So let me know what you think!

Anyway hope you like it!

have fun and ROLL HIGH!
--Tragic

Playlist

-  Passage Through Mirkwood (Game Start) - Deck List @ CardGameDB
-   Journey Down the Anduin (Game Start)     - Deck List @ CardGameDB

to be continued

This is the second quest from the CORE set of Lord of the Ring: The Card Game. Journey Down the Anduin. In 2 days i will be starting a new play through of the voted game so look out for that, and I think I will start making these LoTR videos as a intermittent type thing. 

Do you guys like the "real cards" view.. or would you prefer me to do it in a virtual card game app like LackeyCCG? This would be easier for me and the videos shorter. I prefer the real cards of course, but if you would like shorter videos, then this would be the best way to do it!

Anyway, this is still one of my fav quests and I hope you like the video! The deck list will be posted in the description, if you can not see it yet, then just try back in a few hours!

Anyway.. chat soon and see you in my next user voted Lets Play!!

Have Fun and ROLL HIGH
--Tragic

#3 Zalrus9

Zalrus9

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

Really cool stuff there, Tragic! I really like what you said during the Journey Along the Anduin playthrough regarding the high difficulty of the game. I'm glad you've returned!

Keep up the good work!

#4 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

Mirkwood Cycle 1 - Hunt for Gollum

The Tragic Quests of Middle Earth Playlist
Introduction - 0:39
Game Start - 11:49
Wrap up - 46:34

Deck @ CardGameDB

This is the 1st pack of Mirkwwod. Hunt for Gollum using the "Mirkwood Pool". So only the cards from Core and the Mirkwwod Cycle.

HFG is a extremely easy solo quest. Apart from some unlucky chain reveals where multiple surges can happen and even also pull clues needing guard cards and resulting is 5+ cards getting placed on the table at once, there is really not much chance of loosing. The quest card function of looking at the encounter deck and discarding what you do not like, should mean you can keep threats to a minimum.

The Deck I am using is called "Denathor's Oracle" and there will most likely be some variations of this over this series. It utilizes Lore's card pool to peak and control the encounter deck. This in conjunction with the quest effects should mean that threats have even harder time getting on the table.

If the deck is not in the list then check back.. I'll add it to this post when I can.

Have Fun and ROLL HIGH!
- Tragic

#5 Jekzer

Jekzer

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Nice to have another "Let's Play" focused on this game. It has been a pleasure to watch your videos. I hope you'll continue beating Mirkwood cycle and others!

#6 nismojoe

nismojoe

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

Do escape from Dul Guldur Nightmare deck.

#7 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

nismojoe said:

Do escape from Dul Guldur Nightmare deck.

i'll get to it eventually. Still it will be a while as I am going though the quest in order. I skipped Escape, but will go beat uit once I enter the Darowdelf Cycle and then I'll do Nightmare mode after I get into the current cycle… Though I guess I could do it as soon as I enter the Hobbit cycle.

#8 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Mirkwood Cycle 2 - Conflict at the Carrock

Introduction - 0:39 | Game Start - 12:19 | Wrap Up - 1:08:21
Deck @ CardGameDB - Dunhere's Duck Shoot (CatC)

This is the 2st pack of Mirkwwod. Conflict at the Carrock using the "Mirkwood Pool". So only the cards from Core and the Mirkwwod Cycle.

So this is a new incarnation of Dunhere's Duck Shoot designed for Conflict at the Carrock. CaTC is generally considered by many new players are a extremely hard quest, even pulling a whopping 7 difficulty rating from FFG… yet experienced players think value is a bit high.

This is really Journey Down The Anduin version 2. witch is why similar decks can be used for both quests. Journey is one of my fav quest and back when core came out it was so hard but after some thought and deck building you could build a near 100% susses ratio deck. This gave me a great feeling of being "good" at this game. That my deck building mattered and that my piloting mattered. CaTC is much the same. Even today I had a look at the BGG forum and saw post asking how to do this quest. Still as with Journey you can build a deck that has a near flawless victory record!

Have Fun and ROLL HIGH!
- Tragic

#9 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

( double post sorry ) 

#10 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Mirkwood Cycle 3 - A Journey to Rhosgobel

Attempt: 1
Introduction - 0:39 | Game Start - 1:12 | Wrap Up - 23:42
Deck @ CardGameDB - Heal-Vac

Attempt: 2
Introduction - 0:39 | Game Start - 16:06 | Wrap Up - 41:08
Deck @ CardGameDB - Heal-Vac

This is the Deck I use for my Journey to Rhosgobel vids... It has a pretty high win ratio vs what is generally thought of as a pretty hard quest. The Deck is called Heal-VAC as it is a draw deck that is designed to suck up healing cards into your hand as fast as possible. Heal cards are constantly being added to the game and I think variations of this deck will be strong for a while, especially in mutiplayer.

For aJtR you need to burn through the 1b as fast as possible and then slow down while you go trough 2b. Make you you have the Herb Objectives and / or Heal spells in hand before you get to 3a. Use Denathor to burn through the encounter deck as fast as possible, try to use his ability every turn, and NO MATER what the card is, send it to the bottom, unless it is a herb, or a that Forest location that lets you tutor the herbs from the deck. Use Gandalf for card draw and try and suck as many cards into hand as you can.

Have Fun and ROLL HIGH!
- Tragic

#11 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Mirkwood Cycle 4 - The Hills of Emyn Muil

Quest / A Pleasant Walk

The Hills of Emyn Muil is probably one of the worst solo quest yet printed. You can basically play it blindfolded. Yet here is a deck to beat it! WOOT.

While The Hills of Emyn Muil can be a bit of a problem with 4 players (starting threat 12 + 4 reveals ramps it a bit) compared to modern quests even then it is not that hard.

There is only 1 monsters that is under 30 threat in this deck, so the goal is to just quest though the locations and never have to deal with the mobs at all.

Always quest with Frodo in case a Dol Guldur Orcs is revealed, so you can eat the dmg in threat. Keep Eleanor up for treachery cancelling and speeding up the location draw form the deck.

Have Fun and ROLL HIGH
--Tragic

#12 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:28 AM

Mirkwood Cycle 5 - The Dead Marshes

Quest / No Escape

ntroduction - 0:39
Start - 5:26
WrapUp - 27:05

#13 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

We we finaly made it.. . This is the last and arguably the hardest of the Mirkwood cycle! Can out entrepid band of heroes get though the spooky woods and bring Gollum back for questining?

Mirkwood Cycle  6 - Return to Mirkwood

Quest / Denethor's Secret Road

Start - 6:17
WrapUp - 40:15

Mirkwood Cycle  6 - Return to Mirkwood (Attempt 2)

Quest / Denethor's Secret Road

Start - 3:28
WrapUp - 33:58

#14 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

Mirkwood Cycle  7 - The Massing at Osgiliath

Quest / Cheese It!

Start - 13:28
WrapUp - 1:04:10

Mirkwood Cycle  7 - The Massing at Osgiliath (Attempt 2)

Quest / Cheese It!

Start - 4:27
WrapUp - 29:54

Well that is it!! End of Mirkwood.. off to Khazad Dum.... Let me know if you prefer the restructed card pools!

Have fun and ROLL HIGH

--Tragic

#15 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

Into The Pit (Kaz 1/3) - (Dwarrowdelf Pool)

Deck: OPE (Over Powered Elves) @ CardGameDB
Quest: Into The Pit

Introduction - 0:41
Start 8:19
Musings - 42:45

Right, so the next video in my progression series! Woot, and we are finally in the Darowdelf Cycle, so the card pool has really opened up and a bunch of really cool option is now open to us.

This is the first of the Kaz quests, Into the Pit and as always I am using a restricted card pool. So only cards from Core, Mirkwood, Khaz and Darowdelf are being used.

Have Fun and ROLL HIGH
--Tragic

Into The Pit (Kaz 1/3) - (Dwarrowdelf Pool) - Attempt 2

Deck: OPE v2 (Over Powered Elves) @ CardGameDB
Quest: Into The Pit - Attempt 2

Start 7:15
Outro - 35:41

Had a couple of massive errors in the last video... Not that I feel it would have made much difference.. but thought I should post a better run! So here is a new one.. This time I'm using lackey to speed up the process.

I have also modified the deck a little. Link is in the description!

Anyway.. wish me luck for.... Attempt 2!!

Have Fun and ROLL HIGH
--Tragic

#16 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

This is a pretty cool series. Wish I had time to just sit down and watch people play LotR. :P

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#17 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

The Seventh Level (Kaz 2/3) - (Dwarrowdelf Pool)

Deck : Bev's Break @CardGameDB
Quest: The Seventh Level

Start 7:05

Edited by TragicTheBlathering, 19 November 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#18 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:59 PM

Flight from Moria (Kaz 3/3) (Dwarrowdelf Pool)

Deck: Gon-DIG-or @CardGameDB 

Quest: Flight from Moria : Attempt 2

Quest: Flight from Moria : Attempt 3

The first time I tried to record this quest beat the game in like turn 3. Was really crazy, and not very fun to watch. If people really want I can upload it but hardly anything happened.

So I did a 2nd version with the hope of getting more stuff on tape. Then I thought I would do a 3rd take and see if I could get a even more interesting showing.

This quest is so random with how it tries to convey the feeling of getting lost in the mines. I wanted the recording to show some of that really cool "getting lost" stuff.

So I thought I would run a 3rd attempt but this time LackeyCCG as it is so easy to film.. just hit record and play and try to get a even more interesting game.

#19 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:01 AM

Hey Tragic, thanks for the videos, very fun to watch! I am already super-looking forward to watch videos of you playing the HoN and AtS Cycle scenarios already :P

#20 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:12 PM

Hey Tragic, thanks for the videos, very fun to watch! I am already super-looking forward to watch videos of you playing the HoN and AtS Cycle scenarios already :P

Thanks. I've got a way to go though. I have just started Darrowdelf, so Road to Rivendale is next. That is 6 vids then Hobbit 1+2. That is another 6. The The Shadow Cycle... Also Nigtmares start during Shadow I think as well.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS