• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nonimus

Nonimus

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hello everyone,
I have a few expansions of Arkham Horror ( IH, KH, BGotW, LatT, MH) and Im intrested how to combine Mythos cards best 
Do you have any advice?
Do you insert all the cards or half of each expansion?

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:29 PM

Someone will no doubt be along soon enough with an advanced mathematical formula for creating the perfect deck…as for me, I use them all.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Manishtusu

Manishtusu

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:20 AM

Complex math formula inbound: 
Nah, just kidding. It's simple!

To me, the main guideline is to follow the creators' intention. There are cards that open a gate (burst and normal) and cards that don't. The first one has 3  categories: high frequency, mid frequency and low frequency. Seals can only be shattered on the first two. tl;dr: your mythos is quite balanced with the expansions you mentioned. Only the low frequency gates open too much (twice the amount they should), but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. 

You can also try my method. The main problem to me with a 200+ deck is that it's hard to shuffle and keep in one place properly. Then there is the increased chance of freak mythos-streaks, which comes with such a large number of cards in place. My solution is to stick to a 'primal' state: 10 normal and 2 burst for high freq locations, 6+1 for mid and 2 for low. That's the same number you'd get by just using base game and DH + IH. The result is a well balanced, much more convenient mythos deck. In order to achieve this, you have to separate the big deck into locations, then randomly choose the preset number of normal and burst cards for each of them. Then finally, reduce the number of 'other' cards (2 doomers, surges) by the same percentage as you did for the other mythos - you should end up with about 7 doomers and 4 surges.

Also, since you're using Lurker, you may want to add all of the double gate openings and consider them 4×2 major openings on the main board (so you only have to choose 2 burst and 8 normal card for them). They are nasty and unique, thus should be part of the deck at all times imo. 

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

Manishtusu…if that's easy, I don't want to know hard atontado

The Professor

#5 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

For shuffling a big deck, a reccommend breaking your deck down to multiple smaller decks, shuffling them individually, then randomly recombining.

#6 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

In my deck, there are 288 cards…

First, I lay out six sets of three decks (each with 16 cards)

Second, I roll 6d6 and place each rolled die next to its corresponding "set"

Third, I roll each placed die again and the result 1-2: first deck; 3-4 2nd deck; 5-6: 3rd deck determines which deck I shuffle and select a card.

Repeat two more times and you'll have 18 cards.  Shuffle those cards and place them in front of your card holder/display and you're ready.

Seriously, it takes 5-10 minutes and you have a well-shuffled decks.

The Professor

#7 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

The Professor said:

In my deck, there are 288 cards…

First, I lay out six sets of three decks (each with 16 cards)

Second, I roll 6d6 and place each rolled die next to its corresponding "set"

Third, I roll each placed die again and the result 1-2: first deck; 3-4 2nd deck; 5-6: 3rd deck determines which deck I shuffle and select a card.

Repeat two more times and you'll have 18 cards.  Shuffle those cards and place them in front of your card holder/display and you're ready.

Seriously, it takes 5-10 minutes and you have a well-shuffled decks.

And then first Mythos phase of the game you draw The Story Continues….

#8 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

that made me laugh…

I have to tell you, having played nearly 100 games, I've NEVER drawn The Story Continues card.

The Professor

#9 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

The Professor said:

that made me laugh…

I have to tell you, having played nearly 100 games, I've NEVER drawn The Story Continues card.

It's inevitably the first card I draw after shuffling. I think I have a talent.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS