Photo

Just bought the game and have a quick question, can someone help me out?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Halagar

Halagar

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:42 AM

Hi there.

Normally when me and my mates game there is a GM and four players. I know the main box says it is for a GM + three players but is it possible to have a fourth?

This would only need to be for short time while we decide if we like the game or not. If we like it I'll end up getting the adventurer's toolkit (that is the one for an extra player isn't it?) so we'll be sorted for the fourth player eventually. Or would you recommend starting playing with 3 players and then add the fourth once I have the toolkit?

Also does the toolkit only support one extra player or can it support more?

Thanks

#2 nephtys

nephtys

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

it is "made for 3" because all basic action cards are in there 3 times. so the 4th player only has to copy the cards he needs. thats all. i think the adventurer's toolkit is for 1 player, but i'm not entirely sure.

anyways, if you had a spellcaster in your group he will rarely ever use the melee strike action etc. so you can divide em up easily.

if you like the game i would recommend the player's guide and creature vault in any case, they were most helpful to me in the beginning

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:35 AM

There is also the basic action sheet that summarizes all the basic action cards on the support page for WFRP.

http://www.fantasyfl...n-reference.pdf

You may also wish to draw a stance meter or print one off from here:

#4 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Halagar said:

Normally when me and my mates game there is a GM and four players. I know the main box says it is for a GM + three players but is it possible to have a fourth?

Our game group has four players and a GM. In the words of one of our group, four seems to be the "sweet spot" for our team. With five the table seems to crowded for us. Three is a tad thin… It's nice to have four PCs because, well, once you get to combat it's lethal! :)

I think learning the game is more difficult for the GM rather than the players since there is a lot to juggle. So you may find it personally easier to game with three PCs initially. The players can share cards or take advantage of the resources offered by Emirikol and others. 

Enjoy! I love the system.

#5 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:06 AM

nephtys said:

it is "made for 3" because all basic action cards are in there 3 times. so the 4th player only has to copy the cards he needs. thats all. i think the adventurer's toolkit is for 1 player, but i'm not entirely sure.

This ^^

Essentially, the only thing 'restricting' the core box to 3-players+GM is that there are only 3 copies of the basic actions. A simply photocopy of them, or using one of the character sheets online (at Gitzman's in my sig) that lists the basic actions on it, and you can play just fine.

Yes, the adventurer's toolkit adds an additional set of basic action cards, to essentially add another player, plus some decent careers.

#6 Halagar

Halagar

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for the responses folks.

I see in the product description for the guides it would seem a lot of the content of the core set books is repeated, would you say that if you get the toolkits the guides aren't really needed?

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

You don't need the guides or vaults if you just pick up the main supplements:

core

adv toolkit

winds of magic

signs of faith

lure of pwoer

omens of war

The Players guide really is very handy (especially the PDF) because your PLAYERS have something then to use.  The Creature guide has better background on more monsters (and you'll want to download the fan-produced suggested Actions for each monster, because some braniac on that project forgot to put it in the book).

I consider the GMs screen, GMs guide, Players vault, GMs vault both to be utter wastes if you've got the other stuff.  The GMs screen really has a terrible layout and was probably slapped together by someone who didn't ACTUALLY play this game.  

Best,

jh

#8 Halagar

Halagar

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

Thank Emirikol!

Also you could say that about almost every GM screen! The best one i've seen so far is Pathfinder.

#9 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:59 AM

Agreed there.  You can tell when actual GMs put together a GMs screen.   I think the primary benefit of the Pathfinder screen is that the difficulties of varios CONCRETE examples are present for skill checks.  Considering how much more dependent wfrp3 is on skill checks, it should have been doubly more important for this one.  Instead they were hung up on how pretty they could make it and how well a GM can hide behind it's obsolete vertical design (instead of landscape formatting).

#10 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

I agree with Emirikol.  If I could do it over again, I would run for a groupe of 3-4 pcs and purchase the following.  

Core Box

Adventurers toolkit,

winds of magic

signs of faith

omens of war

lure of power

black fire pass

adventures.

i would NOT buy:

GMs toolkit, IMHO it was trash

any of the 3 guides, they are (nice) but not at all necessary 

any of the vaults, these duplicate the Core Box

the creature vault has value but IMHO it just becomes cumbersome with all of the other cards.

just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Gary

#11 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Speaking of recommended creature actions where can I download "fan-produced suggested Actions for each monster?"

thanks all

#12 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

Here's one:  http://www.gitzmansg...-resources.html

Theres also one in the FILES section here:  http://rpggeek.com/r...leplay-core-set

#13 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

gmanjkd said:

Speaking of recommended creature actions where can I download "fan-produced suggested Actions for each monster?"

thanks all

In my signature you will find two excels with the creatures and actions that I used to use in my games. You may want to give it a look to get ideas, it contains some creature and actions modifications though"

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS