Photo

Advice about picking a pre-made character?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving

MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

A friend of mine is running the Beginner Game for a group of 5 of us. There's a pretty wide range when it comes to our experience with RPGs. I'm definitely on the more experienced end, so I decided to step back and let the newer players pick characters that they'll enjoy. The two options left are Mathus and Sasha.

The friend among us who is perhaps the most enthusiastic about the Star Wars universe has also never played an RPG before. Not even on a computer, I don't think. She's probably the highest risk in terms of everyone having a good time. She selected 41-Vex. I haven't seen its character sheet (I won't have access to any of the printed material until the day of the game), but from what I gleaned from its skill list (posted in one of the articles), it seems fairly limited in scope. 1 Cunning and Willpower. No combat skills. Essentially just really good at the high Intelligence skills.

At first, I was leaning towards picking Mathus, since he can heal the droid. I'm also intrigued by his backstory of reprorgramming Vex's personality matrix to be more rebellious. But he, like Vex, has a 4 Intelligence and they have some overlapping highest skills. His Mechanics is even better, actually. Has anyone played a game with both Mathus and Vex? Is Vex's player going to feel there aren't enough unique ways for her to be cool and help the party?

Sasha seems a lot less specialized, so I'm less worried about stepping on someone's toes. Are there any other major skill overlaps?

#2 ejacobs

ejacobs

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Don't worry about overlap.

This is a "Yes And" system. To quote the guys from Order 66 Podcast.

Think of ways to affect things without going straight at them, come at them sideways.

Don't listen to the Order 66 Podcast for great ideas on how that can happen.

E

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS