Card Sleeves

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Longwell

Longwell

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

I was wondering what card sleeves that everybody was using for this game. To me, it seems that even the card sleeves that FF recommends, the grey packets, are too big. Is it just me?

#2 Longwell

Longwell

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

by grey packets i meant the 3 1/2 by 2 1/2

#3 Durgum

Durgum

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

There are tons of threads on sleeves you can search for.  Most related to the big non living card game. There are also several You Tube reviews. Opinions vary wildly. 

Dragon Shields.

Pro: Longevity

Con: Not cut properly on the sides and can appear marked. Expensive.

Ultra Pro

Pro: Cheap, available, several styles, designs and colors.

Con: The stupid hologram (for me anyway), Potential inconsistent length depending on the style.  

KMC 

Pro: Good quality.

Con:  "Mark" easily. More expensive than Ultra Pro, not as expensive as Dragon Shields. 

FFG 

Pro: Not sure, I just sleeved up my Lord of the Rings Core set in them so I will know soon I guess.

Con: sleeves are too big (long). 

Legion

Pro: Original Designs

Con: Word is they wear out quickly, I myself have no experience.

I have my dark side deck in KMC sleeves - Dark Blue.  The Star Wars logo has somehow transferred onto the sleeve.  It is strange, I pull the card out and the sleeve still maintains a shadow of the logo. Also the corners seem to bend and they scuffed up quickly.

I used to use a lot of Players Choice, but I think Cardhause quit distributing them.

#4 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:21 AM

Durgum said:

There are tons of threads on sleeves you can search for.  Most related to the big non living card game. There are also several You Tube reviews. Opinions vary wildly. 

Dragon Shields.

Pro: Longevity

Con: Not cut properly on the sides and can appear marked. Expensive.

Ultra Pro

Pro: Cheap, available, several styles, designs and colors.

Con: The stupid hologram (for me anyway), Potential inconsistent length depending on the style.  

KMC 

Pro: Good quality.

Con:  "Mark" easily. More expensive than Ultra Pro, not as expensive as Dragon Shields. 

FFG 

Pro: Not sure, I just sleeved up my Lord of the Rings Core set in them so I will know soon I guess.

Con: sleeves are too big (long). 

Legion

Pro: Original Designs

Con: Word is they wear out quickly, I myself have no experience.

I have my dark side deck in KMC sleeves - Dark Blue.  The Star Wars logo has somehow transferred onto the sleeve.  It is strange, I pull the card out and the sleeve still maintains a shadow of the logo. Also the corners seem to bend and they scuffed up quickly.

I used to use a lot of Players Choice, but I think Cardhause quit distributing them.

I would add that

Ultra Pro - Split very easily, you will likely replace 2+sleeves regularly, diminishing their cost effectiveness.  In my experiance, I would split about 3 every couple of weeks, and I am careful not to jam the edges together.

Legion - Same issue as Ultras.  It should also be mentioned that Art Sleeves are commonly used for cheating since you can rub different parts of the art off.  Most Magic players/former players can attest that you don't typically want to go to a tournament using sleeves with art on them because you will be quickly asked to re-sleeve/unsleeve them.  Not as big of a problem in this game (at least not yet), but still something to e mindful of, since I am myself a little leery when someone is using the art sleeves.

KMC - Very durable and last a long time.  If you go with the standard series (as opposed to the "Mat") the problems of marking are diminished.  The Mat ones look really nice and shuffle well, but seem to show grease/oil from your hands easily, as well as the odd transferring issue you mentioned.

I still use KMCs myself, I will get/use a new pack for major tournaments   They dont split easily and are generally cut precisely so there is no variation in length/width, making them ideal for tournaments (assuming you arent trying to cheat of course =P).

I have the FFG ones for X-Wing, but obviously dont shuffle these much, so I can't speak to their durability.  They are oddly sized in my opinion, which can be a problem if you like using deck boxes, etc.

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#5 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

I have been using FFG SW printed sleeves since they were released, using them for another game that requires shuffles of your deck nearly every turn. In all my shuffling, I have had maybe three sleeves out of 400 that have given me any issue. Yes they are a little long for the cards, but that does not bother me.

They have in reality been the most constant of all of the sleeves I have used in the last 5 years or so.

Welcome to the machine!

#6 Durgum

Durgum

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

I forgot about the splitting on ultra pro!  I also forgot that a lot of people say Players choice shuffle nice but gum up quickly.

#7 Darth_Ewok_Fett

Darth_Ewok_Fett

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:11 AM

I use Dragon Shields on all my card games (Magic, Star Wars, and VS) they last longest making them wirth the cost.

#8 SeerMagic

SeerMagic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

FFG all the way.

I use to hate how big they were and how slick they were. Now I've gotten so use to them, I ffg sleeves for all my games. They shuffle much easier, and I never have to worry about size issues that seem to vary with all the other companies.

#9 SplinterMD

SplinterMD

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

I love the FFG art sleeves, gives you a mental edge when you distract your opponent with Gold Bikini Leia… plus they feel great!

If you're looking for clear sleeves you can't go wrong with either KMC, UltraPro (holo is a bit of a drag) or FFG, they are made to last, for a cheaper price and a tighter fit you can try Mayday, the premium line fits very snuggly but you can get a miscuts which are just a little shorter in which cards almost stick out (you can email em and they'll replace it no question asked).

Personally I have a couple of Dragon Shields packs but never got the hype… just seem overpriced compared to what you're getting with KMC Matte. KMC are just as resilient, shuffle much much better imo, don't get sticky and feel amazing.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS