Base Set With Expansion Investigators

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shagrwanew

shagrwanew

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hi. I'm new to arkham horror. I want to buy an expansion to play with some different investigators but I don't think I'm ready for board expansions. So if I use investigators from an expansion can it be with just the base set and no add on board or cards? Will that impact the game play at all with starting locations or anything? Thanks.

#2 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

The game is modular, so you can (generally) add elements without adding others - for instance you can add the new investigators and spells from the Kingsport set without adding the Kingsport board.

If you are purely interested in investigators, may I recommend the following link: http://www.boardgame...m-investigators

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

Hi there!

And welcome to the Carnival :-)

Indeed, as Jake said, Arkham is modular: from each expansion, you can add the things you want. So you can certainly play with new investigators without adding the new board (no expansion investigator starts in locations on expansion boards exactly for this reason), you can add some or all of the items to the mix, and so on. The only component required the board to play is the Mythos deck, unless you get Kingsport: since there are no unstable locations in Kingsport, all the gate openings are focused on the main board.

Hope this helps!

JULIA

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

Greetings!

The only word of caution is that particular characters flourish on other boards and their respective special abilities either "don't shine" or are completely irrelevant.  Take Silas Marsh from Innsmouth ~ without other boards, his Able Seaman ability (When in an Aquatic location, Silas may pay 2 movement points to move to any other aquatic location. Silas also gains a +2 bonus to all skill checks in aquatic locations) doesn't work.  One of my favorites, as I play with every expansion, is George Barnaby's Bail Out ability (George may spend $2 to prevent any investigator from being arrested, including himself).  Many folks don't like George…if you don't like George AND you play with Innsmouth, you gotta be doing something wrong.  That's a play waiting to throw strangers into their prison…and it's one of the few places where an encounter card can spell doom!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#5 shagrwanew

shagrwanew

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:37 AM

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS