Send Condolences to Shub's Family…

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

During the latest game, Jacqueline Fine, Michael McGlen, Agnes Baker, and Amanda Sharpe attempted to prevent Shub-Niggurath from devouring the city of Arkham.  It was a long road winding road and it finished in an unexpected way…

The Doom Track steadily rose to "6" over the course of first 10-12 Turns.  While the Investigators managed to seal a few locations and earn a Blessing for Michael, a Gate Burst at both Devil"s Reef and later, the Witch House, caused the tired, yet intrepid sould to retrace their steps.  During one particularly interesting Turn, a Nightgaunt brought Jacquline to a Gate though she was unprepared (< 5 Clue tokens) to traverse the Other World again.  Amanda followed and ended-up in LiTaS due to her encounter, while Jacqueline's encounter, upon a successful Luck (-2) check Returned her to Arkham AND any Investigator in LiTaS returns to an adjacent street area. 

Unfortunately, things didn't work out so well for the balance of the game.  Several Mystic Environment cards caused additional Doom Tracks to appear thanks to the Herald, the King in Yellow.  Finally, they allowed the Act I to reveal itself, but Act II would prove too difficult and couldn't let a seal vanish from the board.  A Weather Environment card, which would have brought an immediate end, instead delayed the outcome, thanks to Jacqueline's special ability.   Those 2 Clue tokens saved them, as did a time when they buried a 2-Doomer Rumor, but eventually a Gate opening at the Marsh Refinery, coupled with the addition of a Doom Token if there was either a Cultist or Deep One in play filled Shubby's Doom Track.

At first, I thought, this wasn't going to be pretty.  However, the Investigator's worked together and Jacqueline's initial use (and later used by Agnes) of the Spectral Razor Spell; Michael's Yithian Rifle, Agnes' Wither Spell; and Amanda's Spell, Dread Curse of Azathoth proved amazingly efficient.  In addition, Michael used a Unique Item which cancelled Shubby's attack for one round.  In the course of five Turns of attacks, the Investigators repelled Shub-Niggurath for awhile…

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

The Professor said:

Several Mystic Environment cards caused additional Doom Tracks to appear

Man, I know you meant additional Doom Tokens, but still, this sentence is giving my nightmares…

"hey, how many doomers missing?"
"well, 8. On the first doom track. 5 on the second, and only one on the third"
::screaming::

Anyhow, congrats for sending Shubbie back to sleep after FB :-))

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:55 AM

Ha!  Great catch, my friend…se this is why they need an edit function.  Yeah, it was definitely one of those games that I thought would go south via the Act cards, even though I thought we could give him a good fight.  Since everyone had at least three Monster Trophies…I really felt badly for the GOO.

The Professor

#4 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Oh, she deserves it. Did you plan to hold that many monster trophies or did it just work out that way?

#5 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

Actually, I never gear-up intentionally for Final Battle, but when things looked as grim as they did, and we had a few Monster Trophies under our belt…it was Go Time!

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS