• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shagrwanew

shagrwanew

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hi all,

I am new to Arkham Horror, currently playing my first game with four players and at the end of turn one I have a question that I am not sure of based on conflicting interpretations of the rule.

For our preliminary mythos card we had to open a gate at the woods which all worked fine. Then at the end of turn one, we drew a new mythos card and again we were instructed to open a gate at the woods. So i referred to the instruction booklet which tells me that you have to have a monster surge and add monsters to the open gates equal to the amount of gates open or the number of players, whichever is higher.

So being that we only have one gate open and a monster is already on it and yet to move (but about to) from the preliminary turn, does that mean that we have to place four monsters on the woods open gate? Or do you place a combination of monsters on the gate and outskirts? If so, how does that divide up?

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry if this is a topic already addressed on here but as I said, this is my first game, am loving it and want to make sure the game is played the correct way.

Looking forward to your help.

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

Whenever a gate surges, you draw monsters from the cup equal to the number of investigators or the number of gates, whichever is the greater.

Then you have to put them on the board, splitting them among the open gates as evenly as possible until you reach the monster limit.

When the monster limit is reached, the remaining monsters are to be put in the Outskirts, until the Outskirts overflows

So, in your example: 4 invetigators, 1 open gate = 4 monsters; the monster limit is 7, so, since you had only one monster on the board (regardless of whether it was, Woods or in the street it doesn't really matter), you have to stack the "new" 4 monsters on the Woods. Now you have 5 monsters on the board. In the nefarious case that another surge hits the Woods in the coming Mythos, then you have to add 4 more monsters on the board: since you have 5, you add extra 2 on the board, and the remaining 2 enter the Outskirts

Hope this helps

JULIA

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 shagrwanew

shagrwanew

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Julia. That's a great help!

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

shagrwanew said:

Thanks Julia. That's a great help!

Always glad to help :-) If you have further questions, ask! Arkham is a great game, but rules sometimes are tricky :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS