Photo

Is this the end of new content for Arkham???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 diablo666

diablo666

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

It has been a VERY long time since Fantasy Flight has released any new content for Arkham Horror.

I wonder if this means the end for anything new??

I wish I had some insider knowledge to at least know the answer to the question.If this is the end I just wish they would tell us that instead of leaving us hanging so I can deal with that (LOL!!)

#2 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

I wouldn't really be surprised if we have reached the end. At this point we have a lot of content. There are eight expansions to the game, nine if you count both editions of Curse of the Dark haroah, plus dice and minis and whatever we pump out with Strange Aeons. This game has a lot of stuff, and honestly I think you can keep doing different combinations of investigators, ancient ones, expansion cities, optional rules, heralds, gaurdians, institutions, and custom content for years.

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

I agree with Wolfgar ~ as a player for over 4 years and with 100+ games under my belt, I have yet to exhaust but one of the myriad combinations of Investigators against one Great Old One.  Miskatonic Horror, for me, and possibly others, was the perfect wrap-up to a perfect game.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Aye, MH was the perfect topping on the greatest cake. I still believe we'll see, sooner or later, something new for Arkham.

I believe there are some things to think about: first of all, Kevin left FFG and he's totally busy with tons of other projects. He stated on his blog that the relationship with FFG's CEO is good, and that they'll probably collaborate in the future, but maybe "now" is "too early" for this to happen.

Additionally, it seems like FFG is really into LCG and Star Wards more than into boardgames at the moment: some new titles are announced, but it seems that, Mansions of Madness and the new Descent apart, no other line is receiving a constant attention (yeah, ES got an expansion, and Civilization another one, but it's not like "following closely the product" like they did for Arkham or Battles of Westeros), It's in some way natural (two years ago they had only two LCG, now they have 6 titles to follow), but it will probably have some repercussions on other things.

It's just a speculation, anyhow, but still

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Manishtusu

Manishtusu

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:19 AM

They haven't added certain key figures from the Lovecraft mythos yet. Randolph Carter and Erich Zann come to mind. Carter could even add a new board, taking place in a different world/time, linked to Arkham through a permanent gateway. New investigators, ancient ones, heralds etc. - and most importantly, guardians (heralds are already plentiful, but only Kingsport adds them and Bast is useless) are always welcome. They could possibly add some new, nasty, Innsmouth-like mechanic that would punish both good and 'bad' play. And then they could make it dilution-resistant, like the rifts. Lots of opportunies in Arkham Horror imo, just look at the sheer number of fan-made stuff!

#6 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

I strongly suspect that Miskatonic Horror caps off Arkham. If we see any new material, aside from the promos at Arkham Nights, it'll probably be in the form of new scenarios. Look at the Wonder Pack for Seven Wonders. A similar product, containing new Ancient Ones or Investigators, could be outputted at a relative low cost to FFG.

Nevertheless - thanks to the miracle of strange eons - we no longer need to rely on FFG to supply our Arkham fix. There are a lot of custom expansions out there which are of a quality equal to, if not in excess of, anything that FFG has produced. In response to your request, might I suggest that Randolph Carter and the Dreamlands in general can be found in the excellent Arkham Nightmare by Adolphage, whereas Erich Zann and his haunting music can be found in my own Lovecraft Country Horror. (See my signature)

If you're looking for a primer on the best custom expansions out there, the following link covers the basics: http://boardgamegeek...ost-here-ah-ver

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#7 Gary Manning

Gary Manning

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Mmmmm, interesting topic…….. Personally I think FFG is focusing on Elder Sign and Mansions of Madness sales. Arkham Horror has been around for some time, and sales in the past have been strong, and all supporting expansions have seen strong market uptake over the years. Thus, Arkham Horror is a solid performer, and a continuing cash cow for FFG. Elder sign and Mansions of Madness are new, only released in the last couple of years, and rumour has it that sales for both are not doing well, especially for Mansions of Madness, thus FFG are focusing on these new product portfolios to try increase sales (especially during these tough global economic times). I believe, with time, FFG will refocus on thier star product/cash cow, with a new release (new small expansion, or new map/large expansion).  do not foresee this happening soon though, but I think FFG will eventually turn thier focus and attention back to their star performer (namely, Arkham Horror)………….

#8 Gary Manning

Gary Manning

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Mmmmm, interesting topic…….. Personally I think FFG is focusing on Elder Sign and Mansions of Madness sales. Arkham Horror has been around for some time, and sales in the past have been strong, and all supporting expansions have seen strong market uptake over the years. Thus, Arkham Horror is a solid performer, and a continuing cash cow for FFG. Elder sign and Mansions of Madness are new, only released in the last couple of years, and rumour has it that sales for both are not doing well, especially for Mansions of Madness, thus FFG are focusing on these new product portfolios to try increase sales (especially during these tough global economic times). I believe, with time, FFG will refocus on thier star product/cash cow, with a new release (new small expansion, or new map/large expansion).  do not foresee this happening soon though, but I think FFG will eventually turn thier focus and attention back to their star performer (namely, Arkham Horror)………….

#9 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

It was so nice, he posted twice!reir

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#10 Gary Manning

Gary Manning

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

LOL, technical problem between finger and keyboard……..  I cannot seem to be able to delete the second posting……. strange……..

#11 Manishtusu

Manishtusu

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

Space Marines make their points strong! ;-)

Thanks for the material Jake, I'm going to look into it. For now, the basic game itself has a lot to offer (to me), since I first encountered Arkham Horror only 3 months ago, although I got hooked instantly. It has a habit of devouring players, or so I heard!

#12 suicidepuppet

suicidepuppet

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Figure this is as good a place as any for an update. Apologies to all for not having the Miskatonic Archive opened yet. Last year sucked bad (lost 9 computers over a nine month period of time) and this year has tried to top it. Just when I'm catching up, have the space to host the massive resources I have been collecting I'm having to start over because my hosting company has lost their freakin' minds. You know it's bad when they screw up so hard that they have stopped answering email from clients (yes, this a PAY hosting service, not free) so I have just watched a year of work and money go down the toilet.

Couple that with some other online issues and I think I need to take a break. I have to finish a prototype and try to launch a game e-zine (Non-HPL related) to have the resources to fund my 'hobby' with (God, I wish I could just do HPL related material full time…now that would be a dream).

My plan is to keep pushing to get it done but now it seems like it is on the backburner until I straighten out this online mess. I will continue to collect any and all material released and keep it safe (I've been doing back ups of my back ups today).

I'd like to say I wish I could catch a break, but it would probably be my leg.

Keep the faith. I think Arkham has taken on a life of its own. The sheer amount of output (I collect every thread on the subject as well as FCC from multiple sources) makes this like no other game. I mean really, where else would building the perfect storage container for the system become a game unto itself :)

I think all we need to concern ourselves with is finding new players to turn on to the game so that they keep reprinting it (I noticed a large batch of reprints coming in soon) and we can handle the rest. Considering I'm not really into the ES expansion (maybe I'll have someone get it for me for Christmas…maybe) I'm almost hesitant to see new material at this point.

One idea I was thinking about was kind of a designers forum where we could meet and post things we would like to see or things we have built and be able to cut straight to the chase so to speak. This would encourage players to read the related material from the original authors (and maybe some latter ones) and try to find something not covered yet.

And again many thanks to all of you who make this scene what it is today. It's hard to imagine but perfectly logical in the realm of the Mythos - A game about going mad is the very thing keeping me sane. :)

For those in wait try some of these things to get through the slow periods:

1) All of HPL is now available free online (check your own country for this…I know it's gone PD in the States) so now is a perfect chance to discover some pieces you may not have read yet.

2) Post some feed back on the forum idea I mentioned and I'll try to put something together if there is an interest.

3) The game itself is a wonder to just study. I may try and compile all the rules into a guide to FCC and get that up. It might help someone to see what they may be missing on the FCC front.

4) And a tip for printing FCC - because this is set in the 20's try printing things out in black and white. It's a lot cheaper, looks period and can bring something new to the table very fast. The Gilman deck was my first experiment. Then if you find you like it you can do a full color treatment later on (I keep everything sleeved and have lots of extra sleeves and cards-both blank and from a 2nd copy of MH I bought just for such projects.)

Just some thoughts…

Good gaming everyone and may you always prevail in the endless struggle of throwing the Old Ones back into the void…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS