• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

what do we all think? ……..much needed development? or not?

i know i posted about the game's difficulty but i dont think i will do this- it feels like cheating…(read that last comment very carefully please)

well sort of. i guess it is a good idea though and i congratulate the designers on doing this.

rich

PS. i may as well say this outloud so im not spending my day tomorrow with pointless arguments- this is a great thing for the game….i just personally wont use it (at least i dont think so….time will tell)

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#2 GalaxyUC

GalaxyUC

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

this may bring me back to the game. I left because it was just too damn hard and I'm just a casual player. I rarely won any scenario, even the first one. So, now that I've sold it all, I might just come back, or I may still wait to see if Pathfinder Cards game offers a more satisfying psuedo-rpg experience. We'll see. I'm intrigued though!

#3 soullos

soullos

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

An essential print out. Having more options is a great thing IMO. Sometimes I just want to play and not get my ass handed to me (I have the nightmare decks for that). And should Easy mode be just that, I can play standard. It's a win win as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad FF is listening. :D

#4 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

it's funny, i was just joking w/my buddies how the FFG forums will have a post about how the easy mode is "cheating" - and here it is! ;D

this is nothing but a positive. video games do this. i don't know of many of other game formats that have variable difficulty. it's one more sign that the game designers actually listen to the fan base. there are now three modes to play the game. it seems silly to me, especially after all the complaints about the "difficulty" of the game, to now complain that, once the designers have addressed the issue, that it's "cheating."

props to caleb et al for listening and really putting a lot of effort into the game to make it better. we now have a great way to introduce the newer quests to new players - maybe not always having to rely on Passage Through Mirkwood, or some other similarly simple quest.

#5 peterstepon

peterstepon

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Thank goodness I say!  So many times I wish that the game was made easier.  No more getting demoralized and resisting the urge to throw my cards at the table in disgust.  I will play several games at wussy level for sure!

#6 peterstepon

peterstepon

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Thank goodness I say!  So many times I wish that the game was made easier.  No more getting demoralized and resisting the urge to throw my cards at the table in disgust.  I will play several games at wussy level for sure!

#7 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

It is a good option.

Probably i will use to introduce newcomers to the game…

Carlos José Matos

#8 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

Dain Ironfoot said:

richsabre said:

i know i posted about the game's difficulty but i dont think i will do this- it feels cheating….well sort of. i guess it is a good idea though and i congratulate the designers on doing this.

rich

it's funny, i was just joking w/my buddies how the FFG forums will have a post about how the easy mode is "cheating" - and here it is! ;D

this is nothing but a positive. video games do this. i don't know of many of other game formats that have variable difficulty. it's one more sign that the game designers actually listen to the fan base. there are now three modes to play the game. it seems silly to me, especially after all the complaints about the "difficulty" of the game, to know complain that, once the designers have addressed the issue, that it's "cheating."

props to caleb et al for listening and really putting a lot of effort into the game to make it better. we know have a great way to introduce the newer quests to new players - maybe not always having to rely on Passage Through Mirkwood, or some other similarly simple quest.

perhaps you need to re read my post, so you dont end up a repeat of your last infamous post by insulting another fellow gamer. im not arguing here. the basic fact is that to me it FEELS like cheating, hence i said i doubt id use it.

of course it isnt- thats the whole point of ffg making this official rules

therefore thats why i added the last about congratulating the designers. the introduction of this is only a good thing, but to me im not so sure about it

#9 Alex6222

Alex6222

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

By the way if you look at the Easy Mode rules on the Support page you can see some spoilered names for some cards of the Against the Shadow cycle.

#10 Ellareth

Ellareth

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

It's funny to see how some of the cards that are removed to achieve easy mode are the 'iconic' cards of that expansion/encounter set.
Chieftain Ufthak, Marsh Adder, Hummerhorn, majority of Hunters from Mordor, most of trechery from Rhosgobel, Mumakil, Old Tomnnody, etc.

But it's always good to have more option to play.
I don't think Easy Mode is cheating, especially since it is an official variant posted by the developers,
and I could actually see myself using this mode.

Play standard mode when playing a new quest,
Play nightmare mode when playing with a finely-tuned cutting-edge deck,
Play easy mode when playing a Cycle of quests using thematic decks.

Edit: Just realized I didin't explain why I think easy mode is 'legetimate' way to play.
I would probably dismiss this easy mode as 'cheating' as well if it was fanmade variant.
Only reason I would consider it otherwise and actually give it a try myself is that it came from the developers,
and even then I might have dismissed the easy mode as 'temporary fix' to quiet the increasing complaints about difficulty.
But Caleb and other developers are doing such a good job with LotRLCG that I am trusting this easy mode is a 'balanced' way of reducing difficulty to enable players to try out thematic decks… and I've been playing without Denethor for too long.

#11 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

richsabre said:

Dain Ironfoot said:

richsabre said:

i know i posted about the game's difficulty but i dont think i will do this- it feels cheating….well sort of. i guess it is a good idea though and i congratulate the designers on doing this.

rich

this is nothing but a positive. video games do this. i don't know of many of other game formats that have variable difficulty. it's one more sign that the game designers actually listen to the fan base. there are now three modes to play the game. it seems silly to me, especially after all the complaints about the "difficulty" of the game, to know complain that, once the designers have addressed the issue, that it's "cheating."

props to caleb et al for listening and really putting a lot of effort into the game to make it better. we know have a great way to introduce the newer quests to new players - maybe not always having to rely on Passage Through Mirkwood, or some other similarly simple quest.

perhaps you need to re read my post, so you dont end up a repeat of your last infamous post by insulting another fellow gamer. im not arguing here. the basic fact is that to me it FEELS like cheating, hence i said i doubt id use it.

of course it isnt- thats the whole point of ffg making this official rules

therefore thats why i added the last about congratulating the designers. the introduction of this is only a good thing, but to me im not so sure about it

i know exactly what you said. and i know you weren't dissing the designers. i was merely giving my opinion by stating that this is in no way cheating (much in the same way i never thought not using shadow cards your first couple play-throughs was cheating). it was tongue-in-cheek. and there is nothing in my post (at least, i don't think) suggesting i was going to argue.

#12 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

perhaps i miss read you, but this is an opinion forum afterall, and mocking someone's opinion is surely doing nothing other than inviting argument

i shall leave it at that as i dont want to sidetrack a thread on an important part in this game's development

#13 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

my response wasn't so much to you personally, rich, as it was a response to the "is it needed or not/feels like cheating?" - question/topic you posed in the orignal posting. while i can understand you taking it personally, it was responding to the topic - not the author (so yes, i think you misread/misinterpreted what i was saying).

even so, i absolutely believe it's counterintuitive to feel that way, especially given all the rampant complaints about the game being too hard (again - not a comment directed towards you specifically).

you can't please all the people all the time. some think the game is just right. others too easy. and some too hard. the designers have addressed this - to a greater extent than any other game. and this is nothing short of a good thing. if someone thinks the game is too hard and doesn't utilize the game mechanics provided to them by the designers, that's their right.

#14 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Terrific move. Those who want to take advantage of it will do so, and those who don't need or want to play Easy Mode won't have their gaming experience affected at all. It may bring frustrated players back to the game, which is great for the long-term vitality of LotR. 

Of course, we've always been able to do this. Some players have been adding and removing select encounter cards to adjust difficulty for quite some time. Still, it's different when FFG officially endorses that model and provides a standardized framework. 

Allowing players maximum ability to customize their play experience--while still playing by a version of FFG's official rules--is the right thing to do. There's absolutely no downside here. 

#15 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

This is/was a very important day for Lotr LCG. New Saga expansion AND easy mode announced in the same day… I personally love the idea of an easy mode and look forward to try a thematic deck against an easy mode scenario. 

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#16 Zalrus9

Zalrus9

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

I, for one, welcome our new Easy Mode Overlords. One of the faults I find of this game is that the difficulty comes from a lot of "screw you" cards (I'm looking at you, Sleeping Sentry!). With those out of the way, I'm excited to see how the quests turn out. Will they become more fun, or more boring? I don't know yet, but I'm going to play through some and find out!

#17 Runix

Runix

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

This is a great move, and will very likely tempt me back to playing the game.

I had quietly dropped the game for a number of reasons, but most prominent of those was the difficulty.  It felt like the loudest advocates of the game were - to borrow FFG's terminology - "Boromirs", players who apparently think that a 10% win rate is too high and Sleeping Sentry was the FFG designer's finest moment.  FFG literally was "turning it up to eleven" on difficulty, and since I had no interest in that, I had no intention of sticking around.

FFG has, wisely, decided to cater to a wider audience.  The masochists now have their difficulty 11 decks that will require a hundred play-throughs before they can defeat it with their every-OP-card-in-the-game solo deck, while those of us who just want to enjoy the theme while experimenting with interesting deck builds will be able to do so without getting repeatedly drubbed by bad card draws.

Granted, those of us who play on Easy Mode will have to endure the condescension of the hardcore gamers, but in my mind that's less of a price to pay than having to hate the game because of painful win/loss ratios on the scenarios.

#18 DarthJalapeno

DarthJalapeno

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Easy mode is great for us (wifey and me)!

#19 Zalrus9

Zalrus9

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

So I just played Into Illthillan on Easy Mode with a Secrecy Deck, and I have to say I had a good time! The deck was much thinner, and it was still hard, but I felt like I had more of a chance. I unfortunatly did not win, but I got to the last stage of the quest. I don't know if I will play all of the quests on easy mode, but I might try some of the harder ones. 

#20 asmeus

asmeus

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

This is great for me.

I, myself, have nothing against losing hard, however my gf rage quits for weeks, if we lose.

(Can't really enjoy the game, if I have to min/max our decks for several hours, to ensure success. Especially hard with other things, like my gf really dislikes dwarves)

Now I'll be able to throw together some thematic cards and have a blast. :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS