Photo

Lets start our own FAQ. Ask your questions here!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Malachai

Malachai

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

Why aren't there multiple boards for OW like every other game?

Why isn't there a sticky for FAQS?

Why is there a note for the virus grenade from RT in the grenades section of the OW core rulebook?

Why does the grenade launcher entry mention it's usage in indirect firing, but then not give it indirect fire?

The photon flash grenade/round has a blast of 10/12, but is described as affecting everyone within 15 meters. Which is it?

When making a logistics test to acquire ammo for a non-standard kit weapon, is there an official amount listed for how much you get per check?

How much ammo can a tank carry? 

Actually, why don't we just start asking our questions here so FFG can easily compile all of our questions.

Disclaimer: I'm in no way an official source. Whenever a question comes up, I'll do my best to answer it using official sources from OW. If an answer can't be found there I'll look in the other 40k rpg systems to offer suggestions. I'll always explain my reasoning.

Thanks.

#2 Malachai

Malachai

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

If two characters in a squad have Radiant presence, do the effects stack?

If multiple characters in a squad  use command to Inspire, do the effects stack?

#3 Tullio

Tullio

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

I can give a stop-gap answer to the tank ammo question. According to Imperial Armour Volume 1, a standard Phaeton-Patten Leman Russ has space for  40 Battle-Cannon rounds. A Demolisher has less space - 25 rounds. Heavy Bolter ammunition is listed at 600 rounds, I would assume that means per weapon. Lascannon ammunition is listed as unlimited - plainly absurd since even if it ran off the vehicle's power plant it couldn't be unlimited.

#4 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:05 AM

If you requisition something, how long can you keep it before you have to give it back? If your Psyker is Primaris-calibur, and you acquire a Force Sword for him/her, when must they lose it back to the general pool?

Must all of your players be Cadian/Catachan/what have you? How do you convince all your players who know what we're talking about to pick one regiment origin, when it is very easy to imagine that, in the meat grinder, Cadians, Elysians, and Death Korps COULD be lumped together, after casualities, if a specific mission could benefit from a blend of their varied skills?

What is the real use for Sergeants? Much of their buffing abilities focus on Comrades, rather than other PCs, as I see it, beyond Inspiring.

#5 Friend of the Dork

Friend of the Dork

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

Malachai said:

Why aren't there multiple boards for OW like every other game?

There is Only War. 

• bogi_khaosa likes this

#6 Malachai

Malachai

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

Friend of the Dork said:

There is Only War. 

Hahaha. Good answer. 

#7 Malachai

Malachai

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

@ Tullio: Thanks, good find! I'll use that.

venkelos said:

If you requisition something, how long can you keep it before you have to give it back? If your Psyker is Primaris-calibur, and you acquire a Force Sword for him/her, when must they lose it back to the general pool?

Must all of your players be Cadian/Catachan/what have you? How do you convince all your players who know what we're talking about to pick one regiment origin, when it is very easy to imagine that, in the meat grinder, Cadians, Elysians, and Death Korps COULD be lumped together, after casualities, if a specific mission could benefit from a blend of their varied skills?

What is the real use for Sergeants? Much of their buffing abilities focus on Comrades, rather than other PCs, as I see it, beyond Inspiring.

Re: Regiments and their make up: The preferred method is for everyone from the squad to be from the same regiment, but it is not required Hammer of the Emperor kind of addresses this with it's Mixed Regiment section.  A single regiment is  accomplished through discussion with the players. As for how? Depends on your group and the GM in question. 

Re: Sergeant. The sergeant's orders buff comrades, but by buffing the comrades, they're better able to help the players. Take for instance the "Get them!" order. Whenever a comrade aids in a ranged volley/close quarters action, they normally add +5 to their attached player's bs/ws. When "Get Them!" is active, you recieve and additonal bonus of +4 damage.  The "take cover" order allows the comrades to give their attached player +10 to an evasion test. Both of which are pretty great, but require some thinking to use.  They're also not bad tanks in close combat and have pretty good access to social skills (despite not having the social aptitude).

Re:  Gear requisition.
Pg 161 under "Logistics" provides some guidance on this issue:

"Once equipment gear has been issued, soldiers are fully responsible for maintaining it andreturning it, when requested, in fully operational condidition."

"If the gear is assigned through official channels to a unit, then that group must assume full responsibility for it. However, if the goods are delievered without a paper trail, then the characters might be able to exploit it for their own purposes."

"Sometimes, characters may choose to work the system, but other times an unexpected piece of equipment may reach them….In either case, their bounty might be used for their own purposes…"

As far as i know, it depends on how the gear is acquired. If acquired through spoils/looting on the battlefield, the gear doesn't go back to the pool. If acquired through Mission Assignment, then this goes back to the pool. However, the Random Assignment gear is for the party to keep. The same applies for gear gained by  "working the system" either via a commerce test to gain the logistics bonus, or through the way a character describes getting the gear.

It boils down to it being up to the GM about whether or not the gear requisitioned from  a legitmate logistics tests( one made by simply requesting it from the pool), outside of mission assignment gear, is returned to the pool and when. 

#8 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

Are Guardsmen magically immune to the horrors of war, or should there be some insanity point gains listed in the Fear table?

#9 Malachai

Malachai

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

bogi_khaosa said: Published on - 23:30:36

Are Guardsmen magically immune to the horrors of war, or should there be some insanity point gains listed in the Fear table?

As best as I can tell, Insanity usually comes from an out of combat source, or is allocated by the GM after an encounter. There are few creatures which, by simply viewing, cause a character to gain insanity or corruption. Not even fighting a Lord of Change (from DH ascension) mechanically gives you insanity points (but it  can give corruption/mutations).

Insanity also comes from Psychic phenomena quite frequently.

Out of combat failed fear tests result in gaining some insanity points (OW CRB pg 305, Failing the Fear test).

#10 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Malachai said:

bogi_khaosa said: Published on - 23:30:36

As best as I can tell, Insanity usually comes from an out of combat source, or is allocated by the GM after an encounter. There are few creatures which, by simply viewing, cause a character to gain insanity or corruption. Not even fighting a Lord of Change (from DH ascension) mechanically gives you insanity points (but it  can give corruption/mutations).

Insanity also comes from Psychic phenomena quite frequently.

Out of combat failed fear tests result in gaining some insanity points (OW CRB pg 305, Failing the Fear test).

What happened was that they accidentally copy-pasted the Fear table from Black Crusade, the only 40KRP game that does not give you Insanity Points from combat Fear (because it does not use Insanity Points). No way was this intentional, since 1) soldiers snapping during combat is not only a major theme in 40K (say, Tyrannids) but in, like, every war movie ever made and every war novel ever written and 2) the entire rest of the Fear section is copy-pasted from Dark Heresy.

#11 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:29 AM

bogi_khaosa said:

1) soldiers snapping during combat is not only a major theme in 40K (say, Tyrannids)

Quite the opposite. The major theme is being super-duper heroes while facing the biggest horrors the universe can vomit at you. I can't recall single WH40K story where a soldier snapped and it wasn't a "Hey, Jimmy the Loser snapped, so Joe the Hero had to save the day twice as much heroically!" thing. 

As to the OP: The Sergeant is the social character. His Orders are quite 'meh'-ish, but he can fight rather well and can handle the random social encounters that the other couldn't.

On the other hand, I also wonder about the lack of sub-forums… Maybe someone should call the admins to do something…

#12 Malachai

Malachai

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

bogi_khaosa said:

What happened was that they accidentally copy-pasted the Fear table from Black Crusade, the only 40KRP game that does not give you Insanity Points from combat Fear (because it does not use Insanity Points). No way was this intentional, since 1) soldiers snapping during combat is not only a major theme in 40K (say, Tyrannids) but in, like, every war movie ever made and every war novel ever written and 2) the entire rest of the Fear section is copy-pasted from Dark Heresy.

Holy crap you're right! I totally missed that when I looked at Rogue trader.   Good catch. So, we should probably use the rogue trader/DH fear tables then.

#13 ZombieLenin

ZombieLenin

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

I have a mechanics question regarding the Razor Wing Flock minion (OW 358). This creature has wings listed as a weapon (Melee; 1d10+2 R; Pen 0; Razor Sharp, Tearing.)

Now consulting the Razor Sharp weapon trait (OW 172) it reads:

"…If the wielder scores three or more Degrees of Success when rolling to hit with this weapon, double this weapon's Pen when resolving the hit."

So going back to the Razor Sharp quality Wing weapon stas we have 0 pen. So imagining I roll a 01 to attack a PC, damage would look like this, at least as I read it:

1d10+2 damage, where 7, 8, 9, and 10 = 7 (since it is a standard natural weapon).

Before damage is rolled, and because I rolled a hit with 4 DoS with my 01 (WS 47) I apply razor sharp doubling the penetration of the weapon. Or, inother words:

Original Weapon Pen multilied by to, which in this case is 0x2 giving us a 0 penetration after Razor Sharp is applied.

So am I doing this wrong, or is there just a mistake here and I should always count weapons as having a Pen of 1 for application or Razor Sharp?

#14 ZombieLenin

ZombieLenin

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

Also, multipl NPCs are listed with weapons they don't have the talent to use. Am I supposed to treat their use by the NPC as untrained, or assume they have traing to use said weapons. 

Similarly I encounter stuff that gives a creature the Multiple Arms trait, which according to the rules requires Two-Weapon-Fighter to do anything in combat, without the NPC/Creature actually being given Two-Weapon-Fighter. So am I to assume said creature can utilize the multiple arms trait or that they can't when I encounter this. 

Btw, none of the Dark Eldar actually can speak a language since most of them in OW aren't given any linguistics skills. 

#15 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

AtoMaki said:

bogi_khaosa said:

Quite the opposite. The major theme is being super-duper heroes while facing the biggest horrors the universe can vomit at you. I can't recall single WH40K story where a soldier snapped and it wasn't a "Hey, Jimmy the Loser snapped, so Joe the Hero had to save the day twice as much heroically!" thing. 

I can. There's a major one involving Tyrannids. If they were super-dooper heroes, they would not suffer from Fear at all. Or all PCs would have Jaded.

Anyway, it's clearly a cut-and-paste goof. As things stand, Guardsmen are more resistant to madness than hardened rogue traders and members of the Inquisition.

One other thing:

The book uses BC's redefinition of "degrees of success" BUT in many many places does not take this into account in individual rules (which have, again, been copy-pasted from older books). E.g., Accurate should be +1d10 per two EXTRA degrees of success. Avoiding multiple attacks should be one extra attack avoided per EXTRA degree of success,

#16 Malachai

Malachai

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

ZombieLenin said: Published on 5/15/2013 - 18:05:18

Also, multipl NPCs are listed with weapons they don't have the talent to use. Am I supposed to treat their use by the NPC as untrained, or assume they have traing to use said weapons. 

Similarly I encounter stuff that gives a creature the Multiple Arms trait, which according to the rules requires Two-Weapon-Fighter to do anything in combat, without the NPC/Creature actually being given Two-Weapon-Fighter. So am I to assume said creature can utilize the multiple arms trait or that they can't when I encounter this. 

Btw, none of the Dark Eldar actually can speak a language since most of them in OW aren't given any linguistics skills. 

Hahahhaa man. Good finds, all of them.

Re: Razor sharp.
This sounds reasonable to me. Their weapons already count as primitive, so any pen they get will help make these weapons effective.

Re: Witches not knowing how to use splinter pistols and Orkboyz not knowing how to use Sluggas and neither of them speak their own language.

The weapon proficiency and language stuff probably weren't included in enemy stat blocks because FFG didn't count on players wanting to do anything with their enemies other than kill them. Putting stuff in like EWP: Splinter rifle would just lead to players want to take those talents, and since this isn't RT, that isn't allowed. While i really like the idea of certain grunts like cultists or grots having weapons they don't know how to use, i don't think this was intentional.   I think it's also safe to assume that Chaos guys speak low gothic, and that the xenos speak their own language. Some xenos might also know low gothic, but that's probably up to the GM (how else would Orks be able to say "Wut da Zog?!" if they didin't speak the language?)

Re:Multi-arms
I think this was originally put into place to allow the monster to have more than one type of weapon on hand. E.G the three armed mutant is armed with an auto rifle and a chainsword.  What's interesting to me is that everyone of these traits should be something like Multi-arms (X) as per the trait description.  I don't recall if this or the requirement for two-weapon wielder has always been the case. Looking at the Khymera entry for the DE, it has the multiarms trait with no X, meaning it wouldn't ever get the extra attack assuming x=1.  

I don't have my books on me right now, but a good check on how much of this is intentional and how much of this is a mistake is to do some cross referencing. 

1. Find a creature with multiple arms that does melee combat, like the Genestealer
2. Look at the definitions for multi-arm traits for the system the creature is from and see if they're the same to the OW ones. 

#17 Droma

Droma

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

AtoMaki said:

On the other hand, I also wonder about the lack of sub-forums… Maybe someone should call the admins to do something…

To be frank this forum doesn't have enough activity to warrent additional sub forums.

#18 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

So, choosing advanced speciality (/switching guardsman speciality/staying true  to your speciality) takes place after spending 2500 Exp. Does it include initial 600 Exp given at character creation? I am bit unsure about the wording, my common sense and memories of other 40kRPGs say no, but how should it be RAW?

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#19 Malachai

Malachai

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

Droma said: Published on 5/16/2013 - 18:19:53

AtoMaki said:

To be frank this forum doesn't have enough activity to warrent additional sub forums.

That  maybe true, but it's really hard to use these forums at all without any organization. At least a sticky or two would be nice.   I realize now that this was probably the beta-playtest board and FFG simply changed it's title. The lack of an FAQ/errata compilation despite them already working on the 3rd supplement book is alarming.  And  all of this indicates to me that FFG simply doesn't care.

#20 Droma

Droma

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

This was a new board they created when the game was close to launch. They got rid of the beta forums that actually did contain various sub forums for feedback.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS