Rules question: ranged+engaged shooting at third party

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 El Tea

El Tea

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

So, a PC with a ranged weapon would have 2 difficulty for a light weapon, and 3 for a heavy weapon if shooting at a target with which he is engaged.  I get that.

What if he is engaged (someone has moved into engaged and swung a Vibroaxe at him, for example), but is wanting to shoot at a third party?  Thus far I've been assigning a setback die, but I'm wondering if there is an official rule to cover it.

El Tea

#2 Leechman

Leechman

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

From memory, the beta book gives a boost die to the engaged opponent's next melee/brawl attack roll if a PC tries to use a ranged attack whil engaged.

I'd probably modify it to be a little bit more punishing than that.  I'd give the boost as it states, I'd also give a setback to the roll for the shot too.  And if they rolled a bunch of threat or even a despair I'd have them be hit by a melee/brawl attack.

It's generally not a good idea to try and line up a shot at some other guy while the dude in front of you is trying to separate your head from your shoulders with a vibroaxe. 

#3 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

Yes, the opponent engaged with you does get a boost die to attack you if you try to shoot someone else. You also gain setback dice for your shot depending on whether using Ranged (Light) or (Heavy). One for the former and two for the latter (Table 6-4, page 135 Beta).

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#4 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

mouthymerc said:

Yes, the opponent engaged with you does get a boost die to attack you if you try to shoot someone else. You also gain setback dice for your shot depending on whether using Ranged (Light) or (Heavy). One for the former and two for the latter (Table 6-4, page 135 Beta).

Moral of the story?

Shoot the guy that's in your face, not the guy several meters away from your face reir

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#5 El Tea

El Tea

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

mouthymerc said:

The boost part I see - It's documented in the Additional Combat Check Modifiers in the Beta rules, page 136.

What's not clear is what you're saying about the setback dice.  Table 6-4 is additional difficulty dice for when you are using a ranged weapon and attacking a target with which you are engaged.  What's not clear to me is if this also applies to making an attack using a ranged weapon, at a target that is at range to you, but while also engaged with a target (ie: you are being attacked by a guy with a knife, but you're trying to shoot at a guy who is about to throw a thermal detonator who is at range to you).

#6 Masque

Masque

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

The rule for Making Ranged Attacks While Engaged on page 165 does not specifically mention firing at an enemy you are engaged with.  It seems to apply to any shot against any target as long as you are engaged with an enemy.

#7 DVeight

DVeight

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

Well wouldnt you first apply the purple dice based on the ranged table, ignoring first the fact that you are actually being engaged by a NPC wielding a knife wanting to stab you. Then as GM add an additional difficulty or set back die based onthe fact that you are shooting at someone at range when there is an even more and present danger right in front of your face.

One thing that I keep on applying as my personal rule (something that I heard from a podcast) is that the SW EotE is a game of "Yes but" not like a DnD game mechanic for example which is more "No but"

So dont be to engrossed into trying to look for rules on it or apply book lawyer mechanics. If a player wants to do something like your example for instance then simple say "Yes but" and your "but" is the difficulty/setback dice that would add to the pool. Remember, this game is a narrative/cinematic game first. Book lawyers, please stand right at the back of the line. :)

#8 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

Masque said:

The rule for Making Ranged Attacks While Engaged on page 165 does not specifically mention firing at an enemy you are engaged with.  It seems to apply to any shot against any target as long as you are engaged with an enemy.

Exactly. The last paragraph under "Making Ranged Attacks While Engaged" mentions the increase in difficulty. It only stipulates that the modifiers are used when you are engaged, not that your target needs to be the one you are engaged with.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS