Solo Mono Challenge 2: Grasping Experience

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:59 AM

Hi folks and welcome to the second edition of my Solo Mono Challenge. This time players shouldn't be shy of water, as they're confronted with some of the meanest enemies in this game so far:

TENTACLES!

Yes, this time we're gonna meet the Watcher in the Water. The scenario will be played as usual. There's one slight rule change to make the game a bit easier (and hopefully more interesting):

Everytime a player defeats a tentacle enemy during the combat phase, they can choose one of the following:

1) A hero gets an extra resource.

2) The player adds one progress token on any location.

3) The player reduces their threat level by 1.

4) During stage 1 only: the player may peek at the top card of the encounter deck.

Scoring system and tournament rules:

The players have three attempts for each of the four spheres. After each approach the players have to replace one of their heroes. A hero that was replaced can not be used again. A hero that was a replacement can not be replaced. Example:

Rich builds a tactics deck with Boromir, Beregond and Gimli. After the first attempt, he replaces Gimli with Elladan, as he likes the art of that card very much. In his third attempt he is not allowed to bring Gimli back into play, and he can not replace Elladan. He thus chooses to replace Boromir with Thalin.

Each victory scores 1 point. The player with the most points wins the challenge. In case of a tie the player with the highest starting threat of all his hero combos wins.

Each deck may only contain cards from the chosen sphere plus any neutral cards.

The deadline is May 31th, 8 pm CET.

Have fun!

Clarification:

Once a player has started his first game, he is not able to start the challenge anew. This means the players have only one attempt to approach this tournament.

FINAL RESULTS

1. leptokurt ~ 11 points

2. Benhanses ~ 9 points

3. Pharmboys2013 ~ 8 points

4. Glowwyrm ~ 7 points

5. Khamul the Easterling ~ 2 points

#2 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

oh man, some new rule changes…  

while i plan on attempting this it likely wont be until after i get my hands on the steward's fear and get to play with that a bit….plus Mithrandir's Advice will be quintissential for mono lore

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#3 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

First Sphere: Tactics

Round 1: Thalin, Legolas, Beregond  - LOST

got land locked from the beginning and just coudlnt get anywhere questing with via Thalin, was hoping to make some progress via Legolas and blade of gondolin but Mountain Wargs got sent back to the staging area precicsely 4 times

Round 2: Gimili, Legolas, Beregond - WON

Won this out of some good draw and even better luck.  Had Bofur and Eagles of the Misty Mountains in my opening hand and had them both out by turn 3 which helped with questing.  Quested with Gimili and also allowed him to take the undefended attacks from the tentacles.  I actually passed through this stage via the Doors of Durin.  I discarded an extra bofur and support of the eagles from my hand.  The top card of the encounter deck was Stagnant Creek.

Round 3: Gimili, Legolas, Bard- WON

In this game i made Bard my primary quester and once again got Bofur and Eagles of the MIsty Mountains into play quickly to clear away locations.  On the last stage i was able to engage the Watcher right away and was able to take him out with a beefed Gimili (from taking prior damage blocking), legolas with black arrow, and a few vassal of the windlords

Total Points:  2

Reflection:

Tactics did a lot better than i figured it might.  I thought the lack of willpower would be crippling but considering theres 2 quest stages and very few cards in the encounter deck have a threat level higher than 2 i didnt have too much difficulty questing sans round 1.   Also, i feel like each time i killed a tentacle i almost exclusively picked the extra resource to allow me to play someone expensive like more Eagles of the misty mountains or Radagast

#4 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

2nd Sphere: Leadership

Round 1: Theodred, Aragorn, Prince Imrahil- WON

The combo of theodred and aragorn just never gets old for me.  quested to the second stage quite easily and took down the watcher with some repeated use of gandalf via sneak attack

Round 2: Theodred, Aragorn, Boromir - WON

Easily my favorite combination of mono leadership characters.  I literally beat the quest with this combo in just a couple minutes.  At the second round i passed the doors of durin by using shadow of the past (which should be like illegal for his challenge haha) and placing striking tentacle on top then discarding sneak attack from my hand

Round 3: Theodred, Balin, Boromir - WON

I really missed aragorn's attack stat on this one, but it was still nice to buff Balin with Theodred to make sure he could use his ability if necessary.  Killed the watcher thanks to a nicely timed Gandlaf, a boosted Boromir from dunedain signal, and some augmented citadel guards from boromir's ability

Total points: 5

#5 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

You're looking fine again, Pharmboys! Yes, tactics does well in this scenario. I played it even without all the benefits granted for defeating a tentacle with only one coreset and won most of the games.

#6 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

3rd Sphere: Lore

Round 1: Aragorn, Berevor, Denethor - LOSS

Just a complete failure of a game in this one.  The setup encounter card was an tentacle enemy, i staged the first turn into another tentacle enemy, they both had their negative effects hit so i had 4 damage on aragorn and 3 damage on berevor (from 1 having to be undefended and the other having my own atk go against one of my characters).  on turn 2 i staged into another tentacle enemy.  once again all three had shadow or tentacle cards revealed for their effects so i called it a loss (with 2 of my heroes dead) and moved on

Round 2: Aragorn, Glorfindel, Denethor - WON

Had a good setup this game getting Hennamarth riversong in my opening hand.  revealed a tentacle on top so i laid down a ranger spikes with my other 2 opening resources.  easily cleared stage 1.  on stage 2 i used denethor to scry to top card (was warg lair) discarded warden of healing for the victory.  Didnt have to engage or fight a single enemy thanks to some encounter deck manipulation

Round 3: Glorfindel, Denethor, Elrond -WON

I knew going in i had a really high threat, but in this quest it doesnt matter cause all those tentacle enemies have such low engagement costs theres just no avoiding them.  i was a little scared when undisturbed waters came out the first turn and shot my threat up to 39, but after clearing stage 1, i only had 1 tentacle enemy engage me who was thankfully dispatched in one turn.  i won via scyring the top with denethor revelaing striking tentacle then discarding secret paths from my hand

Total Points: 7

Reflection:

I knew going in that this deck would have a decent chance if only becasue of Denethor who's ability makes him the MVP for beating this scenario.  I never really cared about a high starting threat as it was never an issue.  Looking back, despite the one loss, i feel like lore is better suited to beat this quest than tactics or leadership even are just because of how they can trap the tentacle enemies and manipulate the encounter deck to easily pass the doors of durin.  Also, an awesome card i enjoyed using is the new event, Mithrandil's Advice.  Not only does it have really great art, but drawing 3 cards for 1 resource just felt awesome

#7 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:51 AM

4th Sphere: Spirit

Round 1: Glorfindel, Frodo, Eowyn - WON

I struggeled mightely but still pulled out the victory with this team of heroes.  After cruising to the 2nd stage i was trapped there for several turns having to endure repeated attacks from wargs, tentacles, and the passive damage from the watcher.  Thankfully as I was close to death (a threat of 46 from constantly blocking with frodo) Imaldris stargazer pulled a shadow of the past and i was able to throw wrapped! on top of the deck and discard westfield horsebreaker from my hand for the victory.  Considering how difficult this match was with the ideal hero lineup i should have figured the next two rounds would end badly…

Round 2: Glorfindel, Frodo, Dunhere - LOST

Things started in this matchup very badly.  During the set up, disturbed waters was revelaed increasing my threat by 5, i had to reveal another card since there was no threat in the staging area as the set up requires and a tentacle came out.  I staged into stagnant waters which revelaed an additional tentacle enemy and increased my threat by 5 again.  Plus the extra tentacle made me quest negatively so in just 1 turn my threat increased by 12.  Both tentacles had their negative effects trigger.  The following turn antoher tentacle came out during staging and i just called it a game

Round 3: Glorfindel, Eleanor, Dunhere - LOST

Another quick defeat, had a few tentacles revelaed within the first two turns and that was basically it with only 1 chump blocker avaliable and Eleanor's paltry defense.  Just a mess

Total Points: 8

Reflection:

For this quest in particular, Spirit seems the least developed to handle its challenges.  It lacks the firepower or tactics and leadership and the encounter manipulation of lore which is so crucial to complete the second stage.  I had a lot of fun in this challenge however going back and tackling a quest I had barely touched previously (I started playing this game last summer and bought everything avaliable around the time Foundations of Stone was released so there are some quests i have previously avoided playing a lot like this one)

#8 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hey, although i'm not going to do well on this at all, I'll give it a try since only 1 player is playing so far so Pharmboy's will have somebody to beat. :P

I only have FoS, RtR, TWitW, TCatC, AJtR, THoEM and KD but still that does have some pretty good cards so yeah anyways ill give it a try.  It might be a little while but ill do the contest.  :)

Khamul

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#9 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:08 AM

1st Sphere: Spirit

Round 1: Glorfindel, Frodo, Dwalin - WON

The combination of these heroes turned out to do good.  I got and UC and 2 Arwens to boost Frodo's defense and defend multiple attacks.  I killed the Watcher in this game.  

Round 2: Frodo, Eowyn, Dwalin - WON

I shuffled the deck really good but I still got an UC again in hand.  I also got another Arwen so Frodo was a great defender.  I engaged the watcher and then with a stargazer I got cards with the letter  T, and S whitch are fairly common in this E.D.  Then I just threw down my entire hand hopeing for the best and I got a striking tentacle or something.  

Round 3: Eowyn, Dunhere, Dwalin - WON

Yet AGAIN I got an UC so was able to deal with "Wrapped!" better.  I got a T and S again and went for the Doors of Durin and got lucky again.  I feel so bad always just doing the Doors of Durin and getting lucky and winning on this contest.  But I think Spirit and Mabye a bit of Lore will be the only ones that I will do that on.  

Total Points: 3

Dwalin was actually good and I kept him in all 3 rounds.  His good attack and def were helpfull in defeating enemies.  I had some fairly lucky draws in rounds 2 and 3.  Round 1 I just BARELY won.  So yeah I'm suprised how well I did.  

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#10 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

Wow, I'm quite shocked how Spirit got its ass spanked by the tentacles, Pharmboys! Other than that, I think your results are awesome. Thank you both for your little descriptions - that's what the fans want to hear, after all!

Unfortunatly I am very busy right now, but I hope to finish one cycle over the weekend. Going to start with Tactics.

#11 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Khamul, I do not want to spoil it, I am sure you did very well but Arwen is unique…

#12 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

lleimmoen said:

Khamul, I do not want to spoil it, I am sure you did very well but Arwen is unique…

Completely missed that. Thanks!

Khamul, I'd suggest you replay those games in which you had more than one copy of Arwen in play at the same time. I don't want to be too strict with the rules, but to be fair to the other players I'd suggest that you only get 0.5 points for a win in a replay for each of these games. Hope you're ok with that.

#13 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Ahhh.  Yes I knew that…. I did all 3 games at like Midnight so I guess thats why.  Well, I think im going to do all the rest of the spheres first and then finish the spirit last.  I don't mind the score thing, that does sound fair :)  But the thing that is a bit a drag is that I have to do them all over again.  I don't have all the time in the world so…..yeah I think ill get the rest of them done before the due date.  Thanks for pointing that out lleimmoen. :)

Khamul

#14 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

btw the first game was the only one thatI had 2 Arwens  

#15 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Khamul The Easterling said:

btw the first game was the only one thatI had 2 Arwens  

It's enough if you replay that game.

Btw, it's not very polite to let Arwen wait that long!

#16 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:07 AM

Yeah well I took apart thw whole entire deck…..

#17 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

Yeah well I took apart thw whole entire deck….. she's just going to have to wait……you know she will be used to it.  She's used to plenty of waiting and sadness and stuff if you know what I mean.  She'll be fine. :)

Khamul

#18 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:20 AM

Like I promised, I started my approach with the  tactics sphere:

1st attempt: Legolas, Beregond, Gimli

WIN

Ok, that was close. My threat was up to 47 when I took out the Watcher with Legolas (+Rivendell Blade), Gimli (+3 ATT), Landroval, Eagleas of the Misty Mountains and the Citadel Spear. Got two Mountain Wargs, only one tentacle enemy right at the start and lots of locations. Drawing Radagast and EotMM saved my ass, plus having two copies of Gandalf in my hand.Shadows of the Past helped my to avoid a tentacle enemy after the Watcher entered the arena during the combat phase.

2nd attempt: Legolas, Boromir, Gimli

WIN

Lots of treachery cards, so I was almost through stage 1 after 3 rounds. Played Bofur on turn 1, had a Defender of Rammas and a Vasall of the Windlord plus one Gandalf. Put the damage of the Striking Tentacle (setup card) on Gimli. Had to wait wo turns before I could engage the Watcher. All in all this approach was rather easy, my threat was at 35 after playing a second Gandalf. I even opened Durin’s Doors!

3rd attempt: Thalin, Boromir, Gimli

WIN

This time I changed my deck a bit, adding 3 Gondorian Spearmen and 2 Chain Mails. Got a Black Uruk during the setup and a Striking Tentacle during round 1. Put the damage of the ST on Gimli. After that life was rather easy. One Gandalf helped to lower my threat. At the end of stage 1 I played Hail of Stones to kill the Grasping Tentacle that was just revealed. I could thus move into stage 2 and engage the Watcher immediatly. Killed him during my next turn and finished the second stage on turn afterwards.

All in all a rather good start. Only the first game was a problem, the other two went smoothly. Of course I didn't face too many tentacles. Once the staging area was empty I had enough time to build up my WP. Without Gandalf threat managment is a pain in the ass. That's why I used Boromirs ability only once or twice. For my deck I chose the Eagles approach over the Dwarves, as it offers more WP which I considered o be more important than gathering ATT value. Beregond + Spear is a good method to get rid of these tentacles without attacking them. I was bit hesitant to replace him first, but Boromir is also a monster in this adventure (nevermind that he didn't get that much to do). Gimli is also shining, as his 5 HP are a gamesaver everytime the Striking Tentacle shows up.

#19 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Leptokurt…. as I mentioned in the thread for your previous challenge (which I just didn't have the time to attempt), I was anxious for you to post another one of these!   I still don't have as much time as I would like, BUT I was able to get a start on it (3 spirit hands and 2 leadership hands so far), and I will post those results soon.  But I thought you might like to know that this challenge has ALREADY provided me with one of my more satisfying/enjoyable moments playing this game! 

So thanks!   reir

I actually talked about it in another thread, (monkeyrama's "Narrative Moments") in a bit more detail, some of which I will include when I put my notes up here for my attempts… but not all, since there is a lot of editorial and contextual material I include in that posting… but I thought I would mention it here and include the link in case you were interested in reading it…  It really was some of the most fun I've had with this game to date!

I'll post my current results soon!  (don't have my notes with me here at work… lol)

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#20 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

benhanses said:

Leptokurt…. as I mentioned in the thread for your previous challenge (which I just didn't have the time to attempt), I was anxious for you to post another one of these!   I still don't have as much time as I would like, BUT I was able to get a start on it (3 spirit hands and 2 leadership hands so far), and I will post those results soon.  But I thought you might like to know that this challenge has ALREADY provided me with one of my more satisfying/enjoyable moments playing this game! 

So thanks!   reir

I actually talked about it in another thread, (monkeyrama's "Narrative Moments") in a bit more detail, some of which I will include when I put my notes up here for my attempts… but not all, since there is a lot of editorial and contextual material I include in that posting… but I thought I would mention it here and include the link in case you were interested in reading it…  It really was some of the most fun I've had with this game to date!

I'll post my current results soon!  (don't have my notes with me here at work… lol)

Thanks, I really appreciate your kind feedback! :-)

I read about your meeting with Stagnant Creek. Have to say that I was tempted to change the text of this card, because it really is a *****, but then it would have made the scenario a bit too easy (I thought about something like "choose 1: add a tentacle enemy or remove an ally from play, if possible"). I got it twice during my third tactics approach, but never got a tentacle enemy.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS