Bipod/Tripod and Basic Weapons

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

I notice that the Sniper Rifle comes with a tripod, and it got me to wondering…

Is there any reason to use a Bipod/Tripod with a Basic Weapon?  AFAICT, Bracing is only needed for Heavy Weapons. So what is the game effect of having a Bipod/Tripod on a Basic Weapon?

Also, what is the point in ever taking a Bipod when the Tripod appears to have the same weight and is more effective?

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#2 Darck Child

Darck Child

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

HappyDaze said:

I notice that the Sniper Rifle comes with a tripod, and it got me to wondering…

Is there any reason to use a Bipod/Tripod with a Basic Weapon?  AFAICT, Bracing is only needed for Heavy Weapons. So what is the game effect of having a Bipod/Tripod on a Basic Weapon?

Also, what is the point in ever taking a Bipod when the Tripod appears to have the same weight and is more effective?

In real life it improves accuracy by bracing the rifle. In the game it seems to only benefit heavy weapons by removing the -30 penalty. Difference between the two type of pods would be bulk (not weight).

#3 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'm pretty sure that you can Brace a Basic weapon too (or even a Pistol) for the bipod/tripod bonuses. 

Also, it is worth noting that the tripod occupies a lot of space, so you can't use it anywhere you want (like in a window). 

#4 Plasmafest

Plasmafest

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

A bi/tripod mounted weapon (Basic or Heavy) further equipped with the Vox-Operated upgrade can be used as a very crude remote/sentry gun. Plus the mounting will keep the weapon out of the mud/low-ground-mist, and they'd allow an Aim or Overwatch to be maintained almost indefinately.

#5 Darck Child

Darck Child

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:05 AM

AtoMaki said:

I'm pretty sure that you can Brace a Basic weapon too (or even a Pistol) for the bipod/tripod bonuses. 

I didn't see any bonuses.

#6 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:31 AM

Darck Child said:

AtoMaki said:

I didn't see any bonuses.

Really? I only have my gaming group's reference sheet at hand, but it says that if you brace a weapon on a bipod/tripod, then you gain +10 BS and +2 AB for Overwatch. 

#7 Darck Child

Darck Child

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

AtoMaki said:

Really? I only have my gaming group's reference sheet at hand, but it says that if you brace a weapon on a bipod/tripod, then you gain +10 BS and +2 AB for Overwatch. 

Yeah I can't seem to find any reference to any bonus for bracing or for sustaining overwatch…  :(

#8 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:45 AM

Darck Child said:

AtoMaki said:

Yeah I can't seem to find any reference to any bonus for bracing or for sustaining overwatch…  :(

Hmmm… That's strange. It should give something, because otherwise, the bipod/tripod doesn't have a use at all. 

#9 Darck Child

Darck Child

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

AtoMaki said:

Hmmm… That's strange. It should give something, because otherwise, the bipod/tripod doesn't have a use at all. 

I don't disagree but I haven't found anything in Only War that supports this other than removing the -30 for Heavy Weapons that require bracing to fire…

#10 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:37 AM

I agree that there should be some benefit to using a Bipod/Tripod with a Basic Weapon, because as it stands now, it has no use with Basic Weapons. I also don't understand why anyone would select the inferior Bipod over the Tripod.

#11 Darck Child

Darck Child

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:52 AM

HappyDaze said:

I also don't understand why anyone would select the inferior Bipod over the Tripod.

Bulk? Again not weight.  Have you tried Google or other search engine for weapon bipod then weapon tripod?

#12 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:57 AM

HappyDaze said:

I agree that there should be some benefit to using a Bipod/Tripod with a Basic Weapon, because as it stands now, it has no use with Basic Weapons. I also don't understand why anyone would select the inferior Bipod over the Tripod.

Well, bipods and tripods are ueless for Heavy weapons too if they don't give away bonuses. You can Brace a Heavy weapon anywhere, you don't need a bipod/tripod for that. The only reason I can see to take a bipod/tripod is if the character cannot carry around the weapon alone (because it is too heavy) so his movement/positioning options are limited. But if you can't carry your own weapon, they you are probably doing something wrong :D

#13 Hampulina93

Hampulina93

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

You can't brace a Heavy weapon anywhere, you need a stable object to brace it against. A bipod can be attached and a tripod can be carried along to have such an object.

About the bonus, IIRC there was a discussion in one of the forums about houseruling that bracing gives a BS bonus in addition to removing the penalty, thus making it useful for Basic weapons as well as making bracing an option even if you possess Bulging Biceps.

#14 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

Hampulina93 said:

You can't brace a Heavy weapon anywhere, you need a stable object to brace it against. A bipod can be attached and a tripod can be carried along to have such an object.

Actually, you can brace a heavy weapon by simply assuming a better stance. It is right in the description of the Brace action. So you can be on the middle of nowhere with your man portable lascannon and brace it without problem by getting a better hold on it or something. You don't have to put it down. 

#15 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

AtoMaki said:

Hampulina93 said:

Actually, you can brace a heavy weapon by simply assuming a better stance. It is right in the description of the Brace action. So you can be on the middle of nowhere with your man portable lascannon and brace it without problem by getting a better hold on it or something. You don't have to put it down. 

This is my understanding as well. Having a bipod/tripod only allows a Heavy Weapon to be left in place in a continuously braced condition. It is still useless for a Basic Weapon.

#16 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Darck Child said:

HappyDaze said:

I also don't understand why anyone would select the inferior Bipod over the Tripod.

Bulk? Again not weight.  Have you tried Google or other search engine for weapon bipod then weapon tripod?

I would assume that such a factor might involve extra actions to deploy the tripod vs. bipod but no such rules exist. Both also have the same weight, and it's not too unlikely that both (when folded) have a similar "bulk" (not that bulk has any real game effect - consider that mechanised infanty still use full lasguns not carbines or bullpups).

#17 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

I think that I'm just going to remove this part from the sniper rifle:

"Complete with a tripod brace, silencer, and telescopic sight,"

Because:

1) The tripod is useless.

2) It has in-description rules for it's non-removable sound baffling which while functionally identical to a silencer is not a add-on feature.

3) It should have the option of mounting other sights just like the long las.

4) The weapon gets way to light if it's mass already includes all of the above.

#18 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

I don't care what the rules say, you can't brace an autocannon or heavy bolter just by "assuming a proper stance." Strengh 22 Ratling autocannon guy just spreads his legs wide and voila!

This is obviously going to depend on weapon type.

#19 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

bogi_khaosa said:

I don't care what the rules say, you can't brace an autocannon or heavy bolter just by "assuming a proper stance." Strengh 22 Ratling autocannon guy just spreads his legs wide and voila!

This is obviously going to depend on weapon type.

As I've said above, the bipod/tripod only good for characters who can't even lift the heavy weapon at all on their own. Like your S 22 Ratling. But since a Heavy Gunner usually has a Strength of 40+ (because he/she is going for the compulsory Bulging Biceps), it isn't a problem. 

#20 Nefasine

Nefasine

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:10 AM

Your misquoting the book

The discription says:

"Complete with tripod brace, silencer, and telescopic sight, in the right hands of a skilled marksman it can easily turnt he tide of a battle"

A standard SP sniper rife does not come with tripod and sight but when they are attached it makes a mean weapon. It does come with integral noise baffles which does the exact same thing as a silencer (if bulk is a hastle - house rule that it doesnt have the baffles and allow it to take a silencer at a later date).

In terms of the tripod/bipod situation, i see it more as a non-statable upgrade. sure some weapons like the rocket launcher can be braced on your sholder but things like the Hvy Bolter and Autocannon would need to be braced upon something (unless you have Buging Biceps) a stand alows the weapon to be off the ground and less ristricted by the object its braced on:

Impose penalties to rapidly changing directions of fire;

have the munitorium agent/ tech preists get angry at the damaged or dirty underside of the weapon;

have the Lascannon super heat the mud its resting on damaging the weapon / crew or miss the shot

ect.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS