Upcoming Squads (w/ Advanced Torps)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

I've already started thinking of ways of using some of the new cards, as I'm sure many of you have done the same.  I am really looking forward to the Advanced Proton Torpedoes, they seem like an obvious choice for some devastating attacks.  Here is a 100 pt list I came up with, let me know what you think!

Lando + Luke + Concussion Missiles + MF (56)
Dutch Vander + 2 x Advanced Proton Torps + R2D2 + Ion Turret (44)

Idea being to have Dutch give Lando a free Target Lock, and Lando give dutch a free action to take focus.  If all goes as planned, they will both have target lock and focus to lay down some early missiles/torpoedoes.  One tough part is that garven moves first, so giving Lando a free target lock may not be as easy.  I may drop the Luke copilot to Gunner to free up some points for other things, but it's a start.

#2 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

I just realized, I could have Dutch move, take focus, then when Lando moves, gives Dutch a free action to target lock, giving Lando a free target lock at the same time.  That way they can stay together and make target locking quite a bit easier.

#3 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

I think Dutch flying with Lando is a great combo. The Advanced Torps can add the hurt, but it's risky flying with only two ships. I fear TIE swarms could be the weakness. In which case you could move stuff around to give Lando Assault Missiles…maybe drop Luke to Gunner or something.

You could have Garven, "Dutch" and Blue Squadron Pilot, with 4 Advanced Proton Torpedoes in there (95 points). Five points are left over for astromechs or sensor upgrades.

#4 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

Nice, I like it - Maybe even just 1 advanced and 1 non advanced torp each?  That way at any range you can fire a missile since advanced are only range 1. They're gonna be tricky to get off, but man, once they do!

#5 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

I was thinking more about:

Nova Squadron Pilot with Adanced Proton torps and Heavy Laser Cannon and Sensor Jammer (41)
Blue Squadron Pilot with Advanced Proton torps and Heavy Laser Cannon(35)
Kyle Katarn with Moldy Crow title card (24)

That gives you 2 heavy hitters at all ranges, and kyle passes out focus tokens that he stores up. And staying at Range 1 of each other is not required, as long as they stay within range 3 of kyle.

#6 FrutigerSans

FrutigerSans

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:33 AM

hothie said:

Nova Squadron Pilot with Adanced Proton torps and Heavy Laser Cannon and Sensor Jammer (41)

That gives you 2 heavy hitters at all ranges, and kyle passes out focus tokens that he stores up. And staying at Range 1 of each other is not required, as long as they stay within range 3 of kyle.

Damn those Bwings cost an Arm and a Leg and then some. ! They better be worth it!

#7 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:34 AM

Cptnhalfbeard said:

I've already started thinking of ways of using some of the new cards, as I'm sure many of you have done the same.  I am really looking forward to the Advanced Proton Torpedoes, they seem like an obvious choice for some devastating attacks.  Here is a 100 pt list I came up with, let me know what you think!

Idea being to have Dutch give Lando a free Target Lock, and Lando give dutch a free action to take focus.  If all goes as planned, they will both have target lock and focus to lay down some early missiles/torpoedoes.  One tough part is that garven moves first, so giving Lando a free target lock may not be as easy.  I may drop the Luke copilot to Gunner to free up some points for other things, but it's a start.

Well i don't think you will not get the TL's you need with this list, but you will probably not get the needed shot at range 1 to unleash the torps, except of course you face something that can not nanoeuver at all on the other side too. Or you have tagged someone with an ion cannon before. I would suggest to play a 2 Y-Wing list or a 1 Y-Wing 1 HWK, and possibly pair it with Garven, not Lando (less expensive and it is range 1-2 fir the token, not only range 1 after lando moves) because you will need a successful ion hit to get the shot for your torps if you run them on a Y-Wing. Whatever i played i would avoid the shot at all costs by barrel rolling, boosting or taking unexpected turns.

Also i am a big fan of R2-D2 on Dutch or any Y-Wing, but you need the extra manoeuvrability desperately to shoot your torps and the luxury of having a green manoeuver to regain a shield will just not happen. Take a standard R2 that's my advice on the matter…

Or just try a B-Wing to carry the torps since it will probably have a somewhat better manoeuver dial as the Y-Wing and play Dutch/Garven/Lando/Katarn alongside it to give it the needed 2nd action per turn you need in order to oneshot someone…

#8 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

FrutigerSans said:

hothie said:

Damn those Bwings cost an Arm and a Leg and then some. ! They better be worth it!

Think about it, at range 2-3 you've got the HLC, 4 dice with no range bonus for the defender. At range 1, you unleash torps, and with Kyle passing out focus tokens, there's 5 dice with a minimum of 3 hits. After the torps are gone, you're still rolling 4 dice at every range. The Sensor Jammer is going to be one of the unsung heroes of Wave 3, at least from what we've seen so far. Four points, and it works on every single attack against you with no penalty, and you never lose it.

About the only thing I would change would be to reduce the Nova to a Blue and sub in Garven for Kyle for better offense out of the "other" ship. That might be better, but now you've reduced your flying to range 2 with garven instead of range 3 with kyle.

But, none of us have played with these yet, so maybe this squad won't work. I dunno, just tossing an idea out there.

#9 RealShinigami

RealShinigami

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Do you know what the 'Moldy Crow' tittle carddoes then? please enlighten me! iam so curious about it as its one of my 2 fav ships!

(second one being an YT-2000, wich opefully get build aswel one day :D)

#10 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

It has been posted, although the veracity is in question to some, that the Moldy Crow title card says this:

During the End Phase, do not remove unspent focus tokens from your ship.

#11 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

The thing with a Y-Wing with 2 advanced proton torps + ion turret cannon is getting 3 actions that compete for your time. It's very hard to launch torpedos/missiles that are limited in range, let alone a second one from the same ship. R2D2 forces you to do a very limited range of moves if you want to use him, and advanced torp forces you to move a certain way to guarantee some key positioning. Being so equipped makes him the obvious priority target. As you worry about his survival, it will choke him up on the offense.

#12 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

ForceM said:

Cptnhalfbeard said:

Well i don't think you will not get the TL's you need with this list, but you will probably not get the needed shot at range 1 to unleash the torps, except of course you face something that can not nanoeuver at all on the other side too. Or you have tagged someone with an ion cannon before. I would suggest to play a 2 Y-Wing list or a 1 Y-Wing 1 HWK, and possibly pair it with Garven, not Lando (less expensive and it is range 1-2 fir the token, not only range 1 after lando moves) because you will need a successful ion hit to get the shot for your torps if you run them on a Y-Wing. Whatever i played i would avoid the shot at all costs by barrel rolling, boosting or taking unexpected turns.

Also i am a big fan of R2-D2 on Dutch or any Y-Wing, but you need the extra manoeuvrability desperately to shoot your torps and the luxury of having a green manoeuver to regain a shield will just not happen. Take a standard R2 that's my advice on the matter…

Or just try a B-Wing to carry the torps since it will probably have a somewhat better manoeuver dial as the Y-Wing and play Dutch/Garven/Lando/Katarn alongside it to give it the needed 2nd action per turn you need in order to oneshot someone…

If they follow canon, the B-Wing should have a significantly worse maneuver dial than the Y-Wing.  The Y-Wings manueverability and speed are supposed to be significantly better than the B-Wing overall.  But we will see.

#13 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

KineticOperator said:

ForceM said:

Cptnhalfbeard said:

If they follow canon, the B-Wing should have a significantly worse maneuver dial than the Y-Wing.  The Y-Wings manueverability and speed are supposed to be significantly better than the B-Wing overall.  But we will see.

Well that is not exactly true, the only thing i found about them is that they were more difficult to fly, but not that they were slower or less manoeuvrable. It could be that they were in one or two of the videogames, but they are really not of any authority on this matter… The spinning manoeuver of the cockpit serves for more coordinated and advanced flight manoeuvers, giving us a hint it might be more manoeuvrable than the Y-Wing. It is also said that it lackes speed and agility, but not that it had less than the Y-Wing. I took this from Wookiepedia, and i know that it is not always the authority in such matters, but i can hardly find any other valuable info on that matter, so if you know sources i don't have, please ho ahead and point them out please.

Anyway in the game they'd better have a better dial than the Y-Wings for that point cost and with no turret.

#14 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

From Wookiepedia for the BTL Y-Wing so take it for what it's worth.

"Despite its shortcomings in speed and maneuverability compared to space superiority fighters such as the X-wing (or especially compared to interceptors like the A-wing), the Y-wing was an extremely durable craft, with heavier armor and shielding making it a favorite among some Alliance pilots during theGalactic Civil War. The Y-wing also had a larger warhead magazine. The Y-wing was not a sluggish fighter overall, as its speed and agility exceeded that of its intended replacement, the B-wing.

#15 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

Cptnhalfbeard said:

Nice, I like it - Maybe even just 1 advanced and 1 non advanced torp each?  That way at any range you can fire a missile since advanced are only range 1. They're gonna be tricky to get off, but man, once they do!

Excellent idea! Hothie's suggestion to load up with a Heavy Laser Cannon is also great.

I think a Gold Squadron Pilot with Ion Cannon Turret and Advanced Proton Torpedoes may draw fire away from Wedge as effectively as Biggs does. I know I'd be scared if one came flying my way!

#16 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

KineticOperator said:

"Despite its shortcomings in speed and maneuverability compared to space superiority fighters such as the X-wing (or especially compared to interceptors like the A-wing), the Y-wing was an extremely durable craft, with heavier armor and shielding making it a favorite among some Alliance pilots during theGalactic Civil War. The Y-wing also had a larger warhead magazine. The Y-wing was not a sluggish fighter overall, as its speed and agility exceeded that of its intended replacement, the B-wing.

Yeah i looked that up too, and then you look at the B-Wing and find:

"The B-wing also had a unique gyroscopic rotating cockpit module which was independently stabilized to allow the pilot to coordinate advanced flight and attack maneuvers."

Now is that all covered in the Barrel Roll special rule the B-Wing gets, or does it mean it gets a better dial… Or will it just fly its complex manoeuvers even slower than the Y-Wing XD I don't know! Another question is which version of the Y-Wing do we compare to which version of the B-Wing? Because later on up to the Yuzahn Vong War the B-Wing was a staple of the Alliance forces. Why would it replace the Y-Wing in the end when it did not succeed in doing so at the beginning. That's questions only EU writers or Lucasarts Disney guys could answer to.

#17 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:41 AM

ForceM said:

KineticOperator said:

"The B-wing also had a unique gyroscopic rotating cockpit module which was independently stabilized to allow the pilot to coordinate advanced flight and attack maneuvers."

Now is that all covered in the Barrel Roll special rule the B-Wing gets, or does it mean it gets a better dial… Or will it just fly its complex manoeuvers even slower than the Y-Wing XD I don't know! Another question is which version of the Y-Wing do we compare to which version of the B-Wing? Because later on up to the Yuzahn Vong War the B-Wing was a staple of the Alliance forces. Why would it replace the Y-Wing in the end when it did not succeed in doing so at the beginning. That's questions only EU writers or Lucasarts Disney guys could answer to.

The answer to that is buried somewhere else in the B-wing article. While the B-wing was technically able to perform some crazy manuvers most of them would cause certain systems of the ship to lock up. So while the B-wing could outmanuver a y-wing in the short term afterwards it would be a sitting duck. That later varients eventually manage to overtake the Y-wing porbably means they fix that design flaw at some point but not before the end of the Galactic Civil War. If I had to Guess I'd say the B-wing is going to have the highest amount of reds and lowest amount of greens on any ship to date.

#18 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Vonpenguin said:

ForceM said:

KineticOperator said:

The answer to that is buried somewhere else in the B-wing article. While the B-wing was technically able to perform some crazy manuvers most of them would cause certain systems of the ship to lock up. So while the B-wing could outmanuver a y-wing in the short term afterwards it would be a sitting duck. That later varients eventually manage to overtake the Y-wing porbably means they fix that design flaw at some point but not before the end of the Galactic Civil War. If I had to Guess I'd say the B-wing is going to have the highest amount of reds and lowest amount of greens on any ship to date.

I agree with your analysis of the texts, the B-Wing can pull off crazy stuff, but this strains the ships structure (at least early models). Logically the ship would have more manoeuver options than the Y-Wing but it would also have lots of them being red manoeuvers.

But i don't think this will be the case in game. The point cost is way too high for the ship to be gimped by its manoeuver dial too much. Technically it has one more attack for 4 points more, and a barrel roll option compared to a Y-Wing. The lack of turret option would make a ship with a really bad dial for a huge price not very attractive, regardless its firepower.

#19 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:43 AM

ForceM said:

I agree with your analysis of the texts, the B-Wing can pull off crazy stuff, but this strains the ships structure (at least early models). Logically the ship would have more manoeuver options than the Y-Wing but it would also have lots of them being red manoeuvers.

But i don't think this will be the case in game. The point cost is way too high for the ship to be gimped by its manoeuver dial too much. Technically it has one more attack for 4 points more, and a barrel roll option compared to a Y-Wing. The lack of turret option would make a ship with a really bad dial for a huge price not very attractive, regardless its firepower.

I don't know. The theme of this wave seems to be less "More dog fighters" and more along the lines of "Long range Electronic warfare and fire support". I mean none of the other three ships are things I'd want to place directly into the mess except for possibly the Lamda pilot that can eat a target lock meant for an ally, the rest all seem like things you'd want to have flitting along the outskirts, handing out their bonuses or raining secondary weapon attacks onto the other team with maybe the odd strafing run. In that regard a poor dial wouldn't be that bad, though I can see the frustration for people that want to use it like an X-wing.

#20 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

I think the B-Wing will turn into a HLC carrying PtL boat that does the barrel roll shuffle all game long. Use two base X-Wings to provide close support and maybe a named pilot. Advanced to rps will be one shot wonder weapons and probably won't get across the board because of how scary powerful they are. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS