Faction Flavors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RockSoldier

RockSoldier

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

Is there any general overall mechanics that describe the different factions?  For example, in Magic the Gathering, White is generally damage prevention and life gain, red is direct damage, green has large powerful creatures, and blue is for card drawing and countering.  Is there anything like that for the different SWLCG factions?

I have 2 core sets and both expansions but haven't been able to play yet, so im still deciding what faction is best for me.

#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Basically, each play style has a light/dark counterpart.

Imperial Navy / Rebel Alliance: Swarm style with a focus on dealing damage to units and objectives. Also tend to have better resource acceleration.

Sith/Jedi: Control style. Tries to nullify your opponent's efforts to play events, deal damage, etc.

Scum and Villainy / Smugglers and Spies: Break the rules. These two factions are all about using sneaky tricks to get the upper hand.

Of course, each faction is not a direct mirror of its counterpart. While Rebels have more resources than Jedi, the Imperial Navy really takes the cake when it comes to generating resources. Jedi and Sith are both control style, but Sith tend to rely on events and Jedi tend to rely on Enhancements. Both Sith and Jedi also have a tendency to rely on main characters more. Scum and Villainy is really all about capturing enemy cards and getting benefits from those cards. Smugglers & Spies have a little bit of a smuggling theme with the Echo Caverns that allow you to steal a combat icon. The S&V and S&S factions seem to me to be somewhere between control and aggro.

Well, there's an opinion from a non-Magic-player. Maybe others will have opinions that will be more helpful, but this is a start to understanding the differences at least.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#3 RockSoldier

RockSoldier

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

that helps a lot.  thanks.

#4 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

Budgernaut said:

Basically, each play style has a light/dark counterpart.

Imperial Navy / Rebel Alliance: Swarm style with a focus on dealing damage to units and objectives. Also tend to have better resource acceleration.

Sith/Jedi: Control style. Tries to nullify your opponent's efforts to play events, deal damage, etc.

Scum and Villainy / Smugglers and Spies: Break the rules. These two factions are all about using sneaky tricks to get the upper hand.

Of course, each faction is not a direct mirror of its counterpart. While Rebels have more resources than Jedi, the Imperial Navy really takes the cake when it comes to generating resources. Jedi and Sith are both control style, but Sith tend to rely on events and Jedi tend to rely on Enhancements. Both Sith and Jedi also have a tendency to rely on main characters more. Scum and Villainy is really all about capturing enemy cards and getting benefits from those cards. Smugglers & Spies have a little bit of a smuggling theme with the Echo Caverns that allow you to steal a combat icon. The S&V and S&S factions seem to me to be somewhere between control and aggro.

Well, there's an opinion from a non-Magic-player. Maybe others will have opinions that will be more helpful, but this is a start to understanding the differences at least.

Thats a pretty decent summary IMO

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

X-Wing Ships:

5xX-wing, 4xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 4xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290

8xTIE/LN, 5xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/B, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda

#5 Jedi_Knight

Jedi_Knight

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

As an avid MTG player, I understand the fhe factions as follows:

Navy - your R/G aggro. Chump out dudes, go for a quick kill. As with green, you do have lots of means ramp up, so you can easily go sledgehammer for a mid range deck.

Sith - black control. You'll be destroying everything until you can get one of your demons into play to finish the game.

Scum - this feels kinda like U/B mill. lots of tricks to take care of your opponent's hand, milling, taking away their creatures and slow but steady increase in pressure.

Rebel - White weenie, currently R/W aggro. You have some burn, you have Boros Charm, what's not to like? But aside from combat, your dudes go down really quick.

Jedi - Bant Hexproof. Basically the same idea - counter what hurts and once you get that pumped invisible stalker ingame, it's pretty much over. Can do with some white splash to recover from earlier losses. Like I said, Bant Hex proof.

Smugglers - U/G. You'll be having ramp up, lots of dudes backed by lots of tricks to get them through and mess with opponent's board situation.

#6 geki

geki

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:06 AM

What is "U" as a color? What is "Bant Hexproof"? I have not beeing playing Magic in a while.

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

U is blue. Since in the color wheel B is black. 

#8 RockSoldier

RockSoldier

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

thanks a lot.  that really helps me to see what I should pick for my usual style.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS