The GenCon A:NR Thread

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 PMAvers

PMAvers

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

The Event list finally opened up! Let's see what is in there.

https://www.gencon.com/events/46542

Friday, 9 AM

Android: Netrunner North American Championship Tournament

Registration begins promptly at 9:00am. You must bring a sleeved, tournament-legal Corp deck, a sleeved, tournament-legal Runner deck, and a written or printed decklist for each deck to compete. The Champion will receive free entry to the World Championship in Roseville, Minnesota on the weekend of November 7-10, 2013 and a 1st Round Bye. The times listed for this event include only the preliminary rounds. If you advance to the finals, be prepared to play additional rounds after the preliminaries conclude. For the most up-to-date rules, FAQ/Errata, legal card pool, blank deck lists, and more, please visit our web site.

Maximum number of players: 120

That's a nice increase of slots from last year's Icebreaker.

Also nice that it's starting in the morning instead of the evening like last year.

That seems to be it so far with events, though. Would love to see one of the Open Play Leagues return for this year.

#2 PMAvers

PMAvers

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

And today's the magical day that event registrations open.

As of 1:20 PM EST, there's only 21 tickets left for it out of 120. Not bad for a hour-and-a-halfish.

#3 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Since they're all gone… what does one do if they don't have a ticket to the tourney but want to attend? Buy generic tickets and cross fingers? How likely is FFG to accomodate additional entries?

#4 badash56

badash56

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:20 AM

Not sure what they will do this year, but at last year's Gencon the Icebreaker tournament was also full.  They would not allow any other entries (via generic tickets) unless someone didn't show up.  

#5 PMAvers

PMAvers

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Apparently over the last day or so they bumped the number of slots up to 180. There's still 22 tickets left as of this writing.

#6 Big Borg

Big Borg

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

PMAvers said:

Apparently over the last day or so they bumped the number of slots up to 180. There's still 22 tickets left as of this writing.

Thank you. I'm in!!

#7 PMAvers

PMAvers

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Couple of updates:

A new tournament was added on Thursday, 1 PM.

CGM1350698 - Android: Netrunner Warmup Tournament

Prepare for the North American Championship with other Android: Netrunner players in this low-pressure warmup tournament. Players will receive participation prizes.

Currently limited to 32 players, and 29 slots left as of this writing

Friday's tournament has been renamed the "Preliminaries,"

Finals for it are on Saturday, and looks like will be top 16.

#8 PMAvers

PMAvers

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Bumping this from the deeps because they added some extra slots to the Nationials tournament, there's now 240 total seats. As of this writing, there was still 44 left.

#9 TheTick

TheTick

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

So here's a question, and I'm not sure if anyone here can answer this officially at all, but this is going to be my first time participating in a big tournament like this and I'm curious as to what the schedule is like?  Particularly, since it's scheduled to go pretty much all day, are there breaks scheduled for lunch or should I plan on bringing something with me or what?

#10 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

There will be 240 players. I would not assume there are any breaks whatsoever, though you may want to email the TO for details.

#11 TheTick

TheTick

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'd be surprised if they didn't account for an occasional break.  I mean, after 9 hours, sooner or later someone's going to have to go take a leak at the very least.  :) 

#12 TheTick

TheTick

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Wrote to the tournament organizer and confirmed that they are planning a break for lunch after round 4.

#13 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

I'd be surprised if they didn't account for an occasional break.  I mean, after 9 hours, sooner or later someone's going to have to go take a leak at the very least.  :)

There's usually five minutes or so between rounds while the TO is tabulating data, and most games will finish before the time limit.

#14 PMAvers

PMAvers

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

Yeah, I would have been very surprised if there wasn't a break in there somewhere.

#15 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

Yeah, I would have been very surprised if there wasn't a break in there somewhere.

Coming from having played and judged Magic for many years with many huge events, breaks for the players should never be expected.  The staff should always set up a schedule to allow for staff breaks but players are on their own.  Most of the time, majority of players will end the rounds early enough to get breaks that way.  If you're planning on playing a very slow control deck that always goes to time, you better have a packed lunch or friends willing to bring you food. 

Player specific breaks in general are a bad idea as it prolongs how long the staff have to work and the round following the break regularly results in a ton of hurt feelings when way too many players receive game losses or are dropped from the event for failing to show up on time (most of these players also start fighting with the staff when the fault is clearly theirs). 

They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spake, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.

#16 TheTick

TheTick

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

Coming from having played and judged Magic for many years with many huge events, breaks for the players should never be expected.  The staff should always set up a schedule to allow for staff breaks but players are on their own.  Most of the time, majority of players will end the rounds early enough to get breaks that way.  If you're planning on playing a very slow control deck that always goes to time, you better have a packed lunch or friends willing to bring you food. 

Player specific breaks in general are a bad idea as it prolongs how long the staff have to work and the round following the break regularly results in a ton of hurt feelings when way too many players receive game losses or are dropped from the event for failing to show up on time (most of these players also start fighting with the staff when the fault is clearly theirs). 

I appreciate that staff don't like to work late, but if you have 240 people in a room for 9 hours without a way for them to run to the bathroom at least once....it's going to get pretty damn messy.  :) But like I said, the TO confirmed via email that there will at least be a lunch break.  I might try to put together something ahead of time, though, as any restaurant near the convention center is going to be completely mobbed at lunch time.

#17 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

I appreciate that staff don't like to work late, but if you have 240 people in a room for 9 hours without a way for them to run to the bathroom at least once....it's going to get pretty damn messy.  :) But like I said, the TO confirmed via email that there will at least be a lunch break.  I might try to put together something ahead of time, though, as any restaurant near the convention center is going to be completely mobbed at lunch time.

Just for a bit of perspective, a few weeks ago Magic ran a 4500 person tournament in Vegas.  Everyone brought empty bottles with them ;)

• Kaine82 likes this

They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spake, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS