Why is 3e the best edition?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

I have little experience with 1st and 2nd Ed but would like to know why people PREFER 3e and what is it specifically that drives u to play 3e over prior editions?

Basically, is 3e your favorite Edition?

Why is 3e your favorite?

Thanks for the feedback.  I googled this and just found a bunch of hate directed toward 3e.

#2 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 831 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

gmanjkd said:

Basically, is 3e your favorite Edition?

Yes, without a doubt

gmanjkd said:

Why is 3e your favorite?

It's by far the best roleplaying game I've played. The dice system is working great, it's easy to teach and the cards makes sure that everyone knows what they can do. Also, it looks great.

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

I prefer 3e to previous editions (see my comments in combat).

jh

#4 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:54 AM

Well, I don’t think the 3rd edition is the best, but I can give you my opinion on where I think 3rd edition bests the previous editions. Since the question you pose wears an air of positivisms towards the 3rd edition, I will not mention where I think the 3rd edition fails, neither where I think it fails to evoke the atmosphere of the Old World.

What I find greatest of the 3rd edition are the submechanics for Critical Wounds, Corruption, Disease and Insanity (mechanics for the recovery times would need a bit more of thinking but this is minor). A RPG for the Old World needs these kind of rules. While previous editions have rules for this, their approach is by far worse than that given in the 3rd edition, which I confess I find brilliant.

I also find the career system better in this edition, more flexible.

I think that the spell casting mechanics for wizards is the best of the three editions (not the spells though).

The submechanics for fatigue and stress are also a great addition for combats as compared to previous editions. Sadly, they do not work so great for outside combat situations (minor issue though).

Since it will be a bit silly to highlight the 3rd edition without mentioning the main change, the custom dice, I will say something. I do not like it! But…but I think it is a great idea which I feel it will be refined and incorporated in future rpgs. For example, the new Star Wars has also a set of custom dice and a similar dice pool mechanic as that of Warhammer 3. It is similar but not identical, and one can see that the designers have corrected “problems” and “errors” found in the Warhammer 3rd edition dice mechanics. This is not a surprise since learning from experience is (should be) natural. Sorry I won’t go into detail but the changes are many, and have to be commented together with other aspects of the Star Wars RPG which have been improved from its predecessor, the Warhammer 3 RPG.

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#5 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for your input.  I actually wanted to propose this question "why is 3e the best edition" just to see if anyone truly thought it was.  I thought, what better place to ask than the 3e forums, since we all play 3e.  Turns out that according to this pole, only 1 or 2 people think that 3e is the best edition and that everyone else would prefer to play either 1,2 or a new edition.   I love 3e but feel that I am missing something and plan to try 2nd around the end of the year when my Campaign is finished.   Their is NO love for 3e on google and very little on the dedicated 3e forums, that's kinda sad.

Thanks to All who replyed to or read this post.

Gary

#6 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

3e gets a lot of love from the people who play it and get's a lot of grognardia from the very vocal, and very author-oriented, WFRP 2e community who were flatly abandoned by FFG and had all of their cries ignored. It was just a tough sell for people in 2e who were pretty much flipped-off by FFG and had a new system, with an ENORMOUS price tag, shoved down their throats and then told that there would be no fan-support on the forums, no upload pages for fan materials, and everything else that FFG's "suit-mentality" was famous for was going to overshadow the burden of the WFRP3 license.  FFG, after Jay Little, treats it like a bunch of cardboard, statistics and paper and thinks everyone else should too. I still like 3e's game system better than previous editions, but the fan-appreciation has been for crap compared to every other game company out there. Tistwatitis' and I'm just thankful how easy this system is to house-rule and that there WAS a lot of fan scenariso and background material produced for this and previous editions of the game (that is easy to update).

jh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS