Combat. 3e VS 2e

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

Which of the 2 combat systems, 3e vs 2e are faster?  Which has simpler mechanics?  Which is more lethal? 

Thx

#2 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:36 AM

In my experience and without entering into details of the "why", in real time, combats in both combats systems last for a similar amount of minutes. On the other hand, in game time (rounds) combats in 3rd edition last for less rounds. Both systems have very simple mechanics, but in 3rd edition typically players and GMs have to remember less things due to the action cards beign printed (you can do the same in 2nd though). Finally, regarding lethality, both systems are very lethal, in my experience the 2nd edition combat system is more lethal. But since in 2nd PC have fate points, they can die several times before "really" dying. The combat system in 3rd edition has more shades of grey though, with the critical wounds, fatigue and stress sub-mechanics.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#3 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

You really found 2e to be more lethal? Perhaps at higher levels.  Low levels in 2e no one could hit anything. Most combatants only had a 30-40% chance to even hit. Combat always seemed to take a lot longer in 2e, since there would almost always be several rounds where no one hit anything.

#4 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

I talk of my experience with both systems. In the 2nd edition characters have actions like all out attack that adds +20% chance to hit and charge which adds 10%. Additionally you have bonus for outnimbering 2 to 1, 3 to 1, also bonuses for attacking from the flank and from behind, multiple attacks…all adds up. May be you had a different experience with the game, I cannot know.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#5 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback I always appreciate hearing from members of the forum.

#6 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

WFRP3 has advantages over prior editions:

1. There is a LOT more content to work with in terms of access to previous edition material, more Warhammer Battles editions, previous edition fan scenarios, novels, etc.  There's just a LOT of content that you can reference now.  It's a measure of the passage of time, and not of the edition though.
  2. It is still in-print
  3. The dice are cool
  4. Combats take fewer rounds to resolve and there is almost no "whiff" factor where a player sits around doing nothing each round when he cannot hit something.
  5. Did I mention that you can necro all the old stuff and easily convert it?

Anyways, in regards to combat, here are my professional-looking, bulleted points:

• As above, the whiff factor is now gone
  • Criticals are cooler now
  • The dice leave most unable to estimate exact percentages so it becomes more of a "feel" game rather than "well, I only have a 36% chance to hit.."
  • Combats are equally dangerous in my experience.  It just takes fewer rounds to die now.
  • I like it better than 2e for combat (at least)

jh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS