• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

The French are translating Liber Fanatica 7 and need some help defining this sentence below.  I need opinions please!

Jay H

Page 12 - Sidebar from Reikland Revolutionaries
Dirty Jim's Protest Brigade
Athestro’s Soliloquy
I can hear them. Angry voices. I am so hungry. I
must find them.
Keep braying children, Athestro is coming for you.
Sing your song of sorrow and I will drink it up.
There are so many warbling babies in this place.  
Thick man-walls must breed discontent. <<<<-------------------THIS SENTENCE HERE
remember when they free to run and fight, to
dance the ancient dance on the ancient stage. I hid
then, wasting away in torpor. Until they built a
new venue, crammed with discontented souls,
offering up their dissolution for my succour.
I’ve found you, children. Now, I feast.
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Emirikol said:

The French are translating Liber Fanatica 7 and need some help defining this sentence below.  I need opinions please!

Jay H

Page 12 - Sidebar from Reikland Revolutionaries
Dirty Jim's Protest Brigade
Athestro’s Soliloquy
I can hear them. Angry voices. I am so hungry. I
must find them.
Keep braying children, Athestro is coming for you.
Sing your song of sorrow and I will drink it up.
There are so many warbling babies in this place.  
Thick man-walls must breed discontent. <<<<-------------------THIS SENTENCE HERE
remember when they free to run and fight, to
dance the ancient dance on the ancient stage. I hid
then, wasting away in torpor. Until they built a
new venue, crammed with discontented souls,
offering up their dissolution for my succour.
I’ve found you, children. Now, I feast.
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm, that is an odd sentence. Obviously "warbling babies" is a close approximation. Better turns of phrases are "crying babies", or "wailing babies", but warbling could work if it wanted to imply a more coherent 'sing-song' type of sound emitted. With the seeming eerieness of the rest, I think wailing might be more appropriate.

"Thick man-walls must breed discontent" is a lot tougher. You can perhaps get a little insight by reading further. "…Until they built a new venue, crammed with discontented souls…". So, is it referring to some sort of man-made prison? 

My thoughts are that thick walls forment discontent (i.e. breed).  So, it might translate to something like:

"There are so many wailing babies in the place. Thick, man-made walls forment discontent."

#3 Doublehex

Doublehex

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

That is still a very awkward sentence. I can't even make sense of what it is trying to say.

#4 James Sparrow

James Sparrow

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

It's titled " Athestro's Soliloquy", so it looks like it's a poetic passage from a play. It also looks like Athestro is non-Human ( use of the term 'man-walls'), probably a Beastman (use of the word 'bray'), and probably long-lived or Daemonic ("I remember a time when…"). The whole piece is discussing a city, and commenting on the unhappiness that cities seems to create. The two lines you focus on in particular emphasise this point. "Warbling babies" are simply unhappy, complaining Humans, while "Thick man-walls breed discontent" says this is must be what cities do to Humans; they were a lot more content with their lives "when they [were] free to run and fight, to dance the ancient dance on the ancient stage" (the wilds and countryside of tribal times). This links back into the theme of the section it introduces, Dirty Jim's Protext Brigade, city-based agitators and dissidents.  Cheers    Sparrow

#5 James Sparrow

James Sparrow

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

deleted, sorry folks, nothing to see                                                                                                                                                                                       

#6 James Sparrow

James Sparrow

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

deleted, sorry folks nothing to see

#7 Gris-gris

Gris-gris

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:20 AM

Hi,

I'm one of the french who's going to translate LF7, thanks for your answers, it's really helpful !

Gris-gris

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS