Next new book?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HeavensThunderHammer

HeavensThunderHammer

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

So anyone know what kind of book is coming out next? Any rumors, or speculation? Thoughts on when we'll see something?

#2 Justinian

Justinian

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

I kind of get the feeling that Fantasy Flight overstretched themselves by putting out so many RPGs. They havn't really paid off and FFG is considering whether or not they want to continue them or even dumping them entirely and going back to just cards and boardgames.

#3 Evilref

Evilref

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:06 AM

Justinian said:

They havn't really paid off

http://www.icv2.com/...news/25377.html

http://www.icv2.com/...news/23500.html

http://www.icv2.com/...news/22214.html

etc. etc.

While the icv stats are very much open to interpretation and must be taken with a large pinch of salt, DH/RT/DW/BC/OW have been consistently in the top 5, and at points top 2 since release. Add to that the pretty solid drivethru sales ranks and it's clear that, collectively, they're selling well for the industry.

Now, how well, whether that's good enough for FFG for a licensed game is another matter. But given they've renewed and expanded the license at least once, it's hard to say 'they haven't really paid off'.

Personally, I feel RT has been one of the less-well supported lines, with key products coming out late in the life cycle and very sub-par adventure/campaign support. There are some obvious sourcebooks that could have been made to help promote and support the game which weren't done.

#4 memespawn

memespawn

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

So, speaking as a retailer: There are currently (up to July) no books listed as being released for Rogue Trader (nor Dark Heresy)
The Books currently listed as coming soon for 40K RPGs are:

Black Crusade: Tome of Excess
Deathwatch: The Emperor's Chosen
Only War: Enemies of the Imperium

All are meant to be released before July (I believe)

This could just be that a lot of their writers are busy writing Star Wars Stuff, or it could be that there's going to be a bunch of announcements of stuff at Gencon. If there are discussions from FFG people listed at Gencon about the 40K RPGs & their future, then it's likely that they're going to continue with them. If not, I'd be more worried about the line continuing in the same format.

I don't know. 5 lines running concurrently is a lot of different books to keep releasing. I expect, given the expected ridiculous success of Star Wars, that releases will at least slow.

These comments are based on the availability of books to preorder, not discussion with FFG staff, so take with grain of salt.

#5 Evilref

Evilref

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

DH has a 'rerelease' of the core book coming. It's not listed simply as a reprint, so there could be some changes in it, but I'd have expected some sort of marketing about that if it was anything akin to a 2nd edition. Might just be errata changes.

I suspect RT's sales have been less than DW/OW (unsure about BC, it struck me as more of a niche). Not helped by the very disjointed release schedule for RT and some shoddy adventures filling that out.

#6 Cynr

Cynr

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Can you post where your found this "rerelease"?

-Cynr

#7 fulcan

fulcan

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

I was surprised when I heard about 'Only War'. Don't get me wrong the Imperial Guard is great, but Deathwatch already fills that 'Military' style game. I would have much rather seen an entirely Eldar roleplay. Black Crusade already set the precident for playing non-imperial characters, and there is a great deal about the internal workings of Eldar society that could benefit from greater detail.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS