Your X-Wing Quirks

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Thunder_Chicken

Thunder_Chicken

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Often when I build a squad for a friendly game of X-wing, I tend to pick pilots for their character and not necessarily their abilities.  For instance, I like to have Maarek Stele lead my imperial force because it makes me nostalgic for Tie Fighter PC game even though Maarek is not really thought of as a true contender in competitive play. 

Needless to say, I was speechless to see the Moldy Crow and Kyle Katarn coming with wave 3; I love the Dark Forces series.  Love.  I can see Kyle leading my rebel forces many times in the future even though the Crow is definitely not cut out for that role.

So please share your X-wing quirks and peculiarities whether it be pilots, upgrades, playstyles, etc.  I'd love to see what's out there!

#2 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Nice question.

My main "quirk", so to speak, is that I would much prefer to have ships that can take the Boost action.  Invariably, I'm taking Y-wings, X-wings and YT-1300s with the Engine Upgrade card, and often find myself fielding A-wings.  It just makes the whole game feel more dynamic.

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#3 Rich J

Rich J

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

Even in the regionals the other day I'm drawn to running lists that 'scream' the movies I love. So I end up taking Luke, Han, Chewie, r2 and wedge in a two ship build. Usually come out only about equal wins/losses but just can't help it. 

The times I play the Dark side I HAVE to take Darth and a tie swarm - just can't help it. 

A bad session of gaming is still better than a good day at work!

My Star Wars and general life blog for anyone bored enough:

http://zephyrcorpdreadball.weebly.com/

#4 LordCole

LordCole

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

I have a tendancy to pick Soontir Fel plus Push the Limit and pick up a couple of "swarm" ships to fill in the the rest of my points. I'll keep my squad in tight formation until I engage the enemy. Soontir will then peel out of formation, which generally allows him to slip in behind the enemy line or seek objectives.

Even after Soontir Fel breaks formation, I will keep the swarm tight enough that I can block enemy movement to prevent them from protecting objectives or trying to chase Soontir. If they try to focus on Soontir then I have the swarm on the enemy. I am getting about a 4:1 win ratio with this and I want to switch it up but I keep coming back to Soontir Fel and then tossing in some different ships as "support"/destraction.

#5 Stryker359

Stryker359

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:57 AM

I have to apply at least a little paint to each of my ships to make them look a little bit cooler, even if it's just engine glow.

#6 Keoki

Keoki

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

My quirk is that I like to place my maneuver dials on the pilot cards, rather than near the minis. For me, this makes it easier not to confuse which dials go with which ships.

#7 Zoso

Zoso

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:10 AM

My quirk is that I like to place my maneuver dials on the pilot cards, rather than near the minis. For me, this makes it easier not to confuse which dials go with which ships.

I‘ve always done this. From day one I just assumed that's how you were supposed to do it. When I saw people putting the dials on the table near the minis, it seemed odd to me. There is enough on the board to keep up with, especially when ships get clustered. Why make it worse? 

As for my quirk, it really bugs me to fly the Firespray with anyone but Boba Fett. The Firespray IS Boba Fett to me, since he is the only one shown flying the ship in the movies. (OT that is) Boba has always been one of my favs since I was a kid and I loved that ship. I still remember opening that toy on Christmas morning. 

So I will fly other pilots if it fits my squad build, but I don't really like it and I still think of it as Fett when I look at the table.

#8 Thunder_Chicken

Thunder_Chicken

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:03 AM

All very interesting replies.  I too keep my maneuver dial close to my ship card.  The play area can get cluttered fast with all of the miniatures and tokens. 

Another quirk of mine is the urge to fill all the upgrade slots on a ship.  Thankfully I can ignore this most of the times because often it is too costly to do so, but I still feel like I am not using the ship to its full potential.

#9 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

I tend to try to fly my ships in pairs and not take K-turns unless it is really necessary. Iw ould be happier flying in a big circle while taking actions than do a K-turn. 

#10 jboweruk

jboweruk

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

Dunno if you can call it a quirk as such, but I'll take a Y-wing fully kitted and if I've got points take a rookie X-wing to be the lamb covering him. Ever since the first films came out back in 76 I've loved the Y-Wing, more than the X. It's the workhorse of the Rebels, to the X-Wing's glory boy approach. Sure she's old, and slow, but she gets the job done.

#11 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have the opposite problem--I loathe Y-Wings. I've thought they were lame, ugly, terrible ships my whole life. When I was a kid, they were the ships that totally got blown up while the X-Wings saved the day. In the X-Wing computure game, they were slow, undergunned, took half the state of Utah to turn around and I hated the chapters of the game where I was forced to use them.

I own exactly one Y-wing and it causes me physical pain to think I might need to get a second one of these days.

#12 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

I tend to play formations from the moves……

• Luke, Wedge and Biggs
  • Lando, Wedge and Tycho
  • Vander and Gold Squadron
  • Salm and Grey Squadron
  • Garvin and Red Squadron

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#13 Skaak

Skaak

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

I'm right there with you on the Moldy Crow! Although I doubt I will ever field Kyle Katarn as the pilot. I loved playing as Katarn in the video games, but it's Jan Ors for me who is the soul of the Crow; I always thought she was an awesome character in the video games, and regretted that she got so little time in the game itself.

I don't know if it counts as a quirk, but I am extremely reticent to field a single type of ship. I know there are some really competitive lists that are just X-wings or TIEs, but I have to have a little variation, even if it's just a splashed Y-wing or TIE Advance!

#14 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

Every Rebel build so far includes my 1 Y-Wing. I absolutely love being able to fly in circles and Ion Cannon everything.

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#15 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

i more often than not put Swarm Tactics on my best pilot (Wedge or Howlrunner)

as a rebel player i have also never flown less than 2 X-Wings in any rebel squad.

actually come to think of it I think i have never played a rebel squad without howlrunner. no thats right i did NOT play howlrunner once and got creamed (never NOT using him again). 

after wave2 I try to find room for Draw Their Fire somewhere (love messing with their damage). This upgrade really shines on Chewie :)

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#16 TacticalBastrd

TacticalBastrd

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

I find myself wanting to change squads and build something different. But every time it comes down to playing I go with old faithfull.

"The probability of a successful dice roll is inversely proportional to the relative amount of negative impact its failure will have on your character."  -Murphy's RPG Corollary-

Co-Host of The Sabacc Table Podcast

#17 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:51 AM

The_Brown_Bomber said:

…i have never played a rebel squad without howlrunner.

Not sure that's tourney legal… :P

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#18 TK-421

TK-421

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

There can only be one M. Falcon and Slave 1… feels too thematically akward to have multiples, even if they are powerful/competative squad builds.  I just can't have it. 

I have concerns about wave 3 making the game less thematic for me as well (Lambda shuttle seems to be out of place in a fighter dogfight as does a Tie bomber even though they may be very effective in the proper squad… I would probably be ok with them for missions). 

#19 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

TK-421 said:

There can only be one M. Falcon and Slave 1… feels too thematically akward to have multiples, even if they are powerful/competative squad builds.  I just can't have it. 

I have concerns about wave 3 making the game less thematic for me as well (Lambda shuttle seems to be out of place in a fighter dogfight as does a Tie bomber even though they may be very effective in the proper squad… I would probably be ok with them for missions). 

You clearly never played X-Wing/TIE Fighter computer games.  Lambdas were sooooo frustrating to kill, they could easily shoot you down and had no blind spots. TIE  Bombers were fun to dogfight with.  Even though they were slow and fragile, they were hopped up with 1-shot kills (torps). 

They are represented a little differently in this game, but let me assure you, if there was anything accurate about thos games, Lambdas and Bombers have a place in dogfights.

Also, it was common to face YT-1300s and Y-wings in pirate forces (alongside other stuff) in those games as well.  

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#20 TK-421

TK-421

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

I get what you are saying, and all those ships (and multiples of the YT) are likely a great addition and have their place…I just stated my quirk. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS