Springfield MO Regional 1st Place Quasi-Tournament Report

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Intentionally Anonymous

Intentionally Anonymous

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:13 AM

I won the Springfield MO Regional yesterday with the following decks. I only lost one game all day (as Dark Side in the last round of Swiss when I just couldn't draw enough units to do anything) and in most games as Dark Side my opponents didn't destroy any objectives. As Light Side the Death Star dial was usually around 4 or 5, I think the highest it got was 9.  I don't remember a lot of specific things about my matches but I did include some thoughts on the decks.

Light Side - Jedi Affiliation

A Journey to Dagobah x2
Fleeing the Empire x2
Hoth Operations x2
The Defense of Yavin 4 x2
Preparation for Battle x2

Dark Side - Sith Affiliation

Black Squadron Assault x2
Death and Despayre x2
Kuat Reinforcements x2
The Endor Gambit x2
Defense Protocol x1
Deploy the Fleet x1

As Light Side my MVPs were Rogue Three and the Speeder Tanks. Preparation for Battle was also invaluable, but more so in the early game when it kept my guys from being killed when they were shielded from either Fleeing the Empire or Speeder Tanks. As Dark Side it was all about the AT-STs; I played every one of them that I drew and was always happy to have them with their good cost, 3 health, and good icon spread. Honorable mentions to the Star Destroyers (Death Squadron and Devastator) as those guys are just huge and hard to deal with.

I would make some changes though. As Light Side I'm not convinced that Jedi with A Journey to Dagobah is the way to go…I never actually got to strike with Red Five since his health is so low. Admittedly R2 is great and the Target of Opportunity is always nice, but it may be better as pure Rebel with Mobilize the Squadron. Some additional testing will tell. As Dark Side I would absolutely 100% take out Death Squadron Assault. The only cards I was happy to see out of there was the Target of Opportunity and Vader's Tie Advance (but I only ever wanted that for edge battles). I feel like there are better pods if all I want is something for edge battles or that a couple Imperial Commands would be better for the deck. Again it just needs more testing, but I will be taking out the Black Squadron Assaults and I can't see any reason to keep them in over so many other pods.

#2 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Your lists were exactly the same as the IL regional winner's. =P Congrats on the win! Feel free to PM me on this site with your name and I can add you to the database on Top Tier Gaming. Also, how many people were at the event?

I played the Mob squadron objective in place at the IL regional and I ran fine with it. Cover Fire helps as a finisher and is an extra sack outlet for Leia. Rebel Assaults are invaluable.  I've also been testing a version of the deck with renegade squadron and have been having success with that as well.

Black Squadron Assault is one of the best pods in the deck. The Tie Advanced can push out a TON of damage, as can the pilot (actually those two are probably my favorite cards in the set). Vader's Tie can easily knock out damaged objectives (with Talon Rolls, objective, etc), and the objective is amazing at speeding up your game. I think you're probably using the cards differently than our group has, as we've found that pod to be awesome at speeding up the tempo of the game.

Top Tier Gaming, a fan website dedicated to X-Wing Miniatures and Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/jmcb1001

#3 Intentionally Anonymous

Intentionally Anonymous

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

JMCB said:

Your lists were exactly the same as the IL regional winner's. =P Congrats on the win! Feel free to PM me on this site with your name and I can add you to the database on Top Tier Gaming. Also, how many people were at the event?

I played the Mob squadron objective in place at the IL regional and I ran fine with it. Cover Fire helps as a finisher and is an extra sack outlet for Leia. Rebel Assaults are invaluable.  I've also been testing a version of the deck with renegade squadron and have been having success with that as well.

Black Squadron Assault is one of the best pods in the deck. The Tie Advanced can push out a TON of damage, as can the pilot (actually those two are probably my favorite cards in the set). Vader's Tie can easily knock out damaged objectives (with Talon Rolls, objective, etc), and the objective is amazing at speeding up your game. I think you're probably using the cards differently than our group has, as we've found that pod to be awesome at speeding up the tempo of the game.

I think that if you're wanting to play Rebels then the core of the deck is pretty much set in stone if you want your deck to be good.  The only thing that I feel is in flux is the space I used for the A Journey to Dagobah, but I feel like there are several other objectives you could use in those slots (which will determine your affiliation).  I did get the idea for the Black Squadron Assault from one of those decks (saw it on CGDB), originally I had in Imperial Command but I wasn't completely pleased with it.  After playing with it all day I think I'll be going back burla

I'll admit the TIE Advanced are all right, but mostly because of their hard blast icon.  Their ability was largely irrelevant (I think I only triggered it once all day) and never impressed me.  The pilots looked really good on paper, but I never found myself in a position where I wanted to play one over something else in my hand.  I literally didn't play a single one all day.  Vader's TIE Advanced is just overcosted for what it is, and to be "good" you have to get lucky with the top card of your deck.  The only time it would have mattered was in my round 2 where I would have won a turn earlier (I still won the game) if I had been able to flip any unit with a blast icon (hard or soft).  I didn't and was a damage short on the objective.  You just can't plan for it, and if you can't count on something then it's not helping.  Every once in a while I'm sure it's incredible (hitting a Devastator or something) but most of the time it just didn't matter by hitting something with icons I didn't need or a non-unit card.  I just can't imagine keeping in Black Squadron Assault over another copy of the 1x objectives, or even going back to Imperial Command for the resource bump (making it even easier to hit one of the Star Destroyers on turn 1).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS