Eldar Ghosthelms _ A Fluff Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:46 AM

I have a pointless little quandry, and RT does more with Eldar than the rest, so I thought I'd post it here. Anyway, Eldar live in constant dread that Slaanesh will claim their souls, the it always hungers. Seers, using the warp as they do are often even more at risk. One of the iconic items Farseers are often seen with are their ghosthelms, which help to shield them from the depredations of the Empreyean. Still, one can often see even Farseers sporting cases of Space-Marine-sans-Helmetitus. When I looked through my old Cosex for Eldar, however, they have a little fluff bit where Eldrad, most senior of the race's Farseers, enters the Dome of Crystal Seers, at the core of Ulthwe. In this place alone can the elder Seer dare to remove his ghosthelm; the entry implies that anywhere less shielded Slaanesh would grab his "unprotected" soul. So, my question, how important is the helm to Seer Eldar? Eldrad is 10+ millennia old, and powerful by even Eldar standards, and he worries for his soul. Is there anything in the fluff for other Farseers?

Again, it's a pointless question, but I was curious, and sometimes it's fun to just chat fluff.

As an aside, would it be way BS to possibly allow a Seer to treat their Ghosthelm as a Psychic Hood? Individuals as learned about warpcraft as the Eldar, you might think they could emulate something similar.

#2 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

From Lure of the Expanse (page 132):

††††Ghosthelm: Covered in arcane and spidery runes, a ghosthelm is a potent and ancient device worn by many Farseers to protect them from the dangers of the warp. While wearing the helm, if the Farseer is ever affected by results on the Psychic Phenomena Table or the Perils of the Warp table he can make a Challenging (+0) Willpower Test to be personally unaffected. The effects of the result rolled on the table still occur and may affect others or the environment as normal.

#3 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:51 AM

Thank you. I know what it does, mechanically. I was trying to ascertain if a Psyker could become powerful enough that Chaos could just cheat, and grab them for fun. There's a PR 14 super-psyker in Ascension (sidestep swung sword), and she might be a walking accident waiting to happen, but the Warp hasn't just eaten her, but Eldrad seems leery of taking off his ghosthelm in all but the most secure places. One supposes that he could always want to be sure he can use his powers, and then the helm blocks Perils (Chaos eating him), but I don't know if Slaanesh can just chomp him, or what the fluff there was implying.

#4 WhiteLycan

WhiteLycan

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Just throwing this out there, there are stats for the ghost helm in Navis Primer. Or Soul Reaver, I forget. 

#5 crisaron

crisaron

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

Eldar or Dark Eldar and Slaanesh have apeculiar relationship…

Imperial conditioning should protect psykers anyway the gods should not cross over for a mere mortal that will eventually just end up in the Warp upon is death. If anything an Enslaver could take over a very powerful psyker to create a gate. (Deathwatch stuff), can't remember the warp entity name right now.

Eldrad is also pretty unique having cheated death and everything else, Slaanesh will go at extreme lenght to get an eldar/dark eldar soul, since both race have a way of pushing here off and spiriting away their souls.

In dark apostle (the book) Slaanesh goes as far as to offer her help to the Apostle to get to a dark eldar souls.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS