Stars of Inequity: Colonies Harvesting Resources

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Bunny Lord

Dark Bunny Lord

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

So I'm a bit confused by how colonies harvesting resources in the "stars of inequity" works. It says every 90 day cycle that they harvest resources and that you loose abundance. Now I figured out how to calculate abnundance on a planet as well as the yearly intake of a planet but it says on page 104, under the harvesting resources box to refer to page 28, chart 1-19 "resource depletion" to figure out how much they loose every cycle. On the cycle it has listings for single objectives, each type of endevour, and yearly intakes for colonies based on wehther they are large or small but it states nothing of the 90 day cycle. So obviously I'm missing something here but I'm not aware what… is a 90 day cycle supposed to be a year? Or is it supposed to be considered an endevour of some sort or just a single objective?

#2 WilliamAsher

WilliamAsher

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

The 90 day cycle is supposed to be a quarter year.  So if you harvest for 4 quarters you reduce the resources by the table ammount.  I personally found that the 90 day cycle doesn't fit in well with RT timelines.  A RT making a trip from Footfall to Damaris and back, for instance, will be making a 350 day warp trip in addition to the months he spends in Damaris itself.  With the time distortion of Warp travel that can easily take 10-15 years of planetary time.  Even short trips can take a year or so real time.  Also, it isn't all that reasonable to expect a colony to grow up to 4 times a year.  If you do switch to a year cycle, I recomend reducing the depletion to 1d5-2 for a small colony and 1d5 for a large colony.  Either way, you are going to have to keep track of both Ship Time and Planet Time, which may diverge drastically.

#3 Dark Bunny Lord

Dark Bunny Lord

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

WilliamAsher said:

The 90 day cycle is supposed to be a quarter year.  So if you harvest for 4 quarters you reduce the resources by the table ammount.  I personally found that the 90 day cycle doesn't fit in well with RT timelines.  A RT making a trip from Footfall to Damaris and back, for instance, will be making a 350 day warp trip in addition to the months he spends in Damaris itself.  With the time distortion of Warp travel that can easily take 10-15 years of planetary time.  Even short trips can take a year or so real time.  Also, it isn't all that reasonable to expect a colony to grow up to 4 times a year.  If you do switch to a year cycle, I recomend reducing the depletion to 1d5-2 for a small colony and 1d5 for a large colony.  Either way, you are going to have to keep track of both Ship Time and Planet Time, which may diverge drastically.

Well I already track real-time/ship-time to determine food stores and then reset it each time they land port and re-stock so I figure I can probably do the same (or similar if they port earlier than a cycle) to figure out colony growth. Ie if they where gone 6 cycles the news would get to them on the planet and then we'd figure out each cycle there as part of the re-stock/aquisition break phase they normally take in port. Kind of like checking any messages that would have gotten to them if they where at a major hub such as foot fall or port wander.

Thanks for the answer though, don't know why I didn't think that. Perhaps what threw me off is it seemed to be worded in such a way that the resources dropped every cycle instead of the slightly more understandable 4 cycle period that would trigger the yearly.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS