Mnemonics for the sets

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Unreal_Ed

Unreal_Ed

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

So, I just got the game and haven't played in a tournament yet, but it seems (to me) that a big way to secure victories will be knowing every card in an objective set.

Afterall, if you know all the sets well, when the match begins you already know 30% of the opponent's deck! and with every card played from a new set, you know an extra 10% of your opponent's deck! 

Since that knowledge can probably help a lot, I was thinking of developing mnemonics for every set. If you can recall a mnemonic for a set, you'd know all the cards for that set! 

But I'm not very good at doing that it turns out… so I was wondering if anyone had had the same idea I've had or if anyone has developed mnemonics for other things and would like to tackle that challenge. 

I'll update this post with a master list of mnemonics for all the sets if people contribute.
Edit: Here's a list of the names of all the cards up to Desolation of Hoth.

#2 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

I'm not certain you need to know all of them, though over time a list would get large of even the important ones. If it were me, I would focus on the sets that have the Fate cards, the counter cards, and sets that specifically wreck your decks.

Welcome to the machine!

#3 Unreal_Ed

Unreal_Ed

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:35 AM

It's still a huge advantage to see a Sith Library drop and being able to tell if your opponent can either:

• Play a Force Lightning or a Force Choke 
  • Play a There is no Escape
  • Play a Twist of Fate

That's why FFG made all the limited locations in the core set be the exact same card in 3 different sets. If I play a Force Lightning, you know I have Palpatine, but unless you know your stuff, when I play Sith Library, it doesn't scream about what is coming your way. 

#4 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

This is true. For me, this would fall under the category of "stuff that will wreck your deck." The point is that it may not be necessary to learn everything about each of the pods. I would start with high value stuff like the things mentioned, especially since over time I suspect the majority of the pods will fall into disuse.

Welcome to the machine!

#5 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Actually, since you get to see all the cards your opponent has in play, just look over his Sith Library and see which objective set it comes from. Is it from Objective Set 23? Ok, then be on the lookout for Force Lightning. Is it a Sith Library from Objective Set 22? Watch out for Force Stasis, etc. etc.

Since they have the set number printed on them, that makes it crazy easy to see which Sith Library you're talking about. Now, the hard part is remembering that set 22 is the one for Heart of the Empire. And as more Force Packs get released, there will be more sets to keep track of. If you can do it, just go with memorizing all the cards in the correct numerical sets. That would be better than any mnemonic device, IMNSHO.

Personally, while I see the benefit there, to me that takes any kind of "soul" out of the game. Also, for my brain, it would be a lot of memorization effort and while I see the benefit of knowing how many copies of a card are in my opponent's deck, it doesn't always grant me the knowledge of which cards he has in hand RIGHT AT THAT MOMENT. So, for me personally this would be too much effort for not a great enough reward. I just try to keep track of which sets have the big characters and then what else "comes with" Han Solo or what have you. For example, I know Twist of Fate comes with the Jawas after the article on The Tattooine Crash so if I see Jawas I know my opponent has likely 1 (if not 2 - provided he doubled up on objectives) Twist of Fate rolling around somewhere in his draw deck.

#6 Unreal_Ed

Unreal_Ed

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Yeah, but honestly, the most important part is remembering which big cards are going to come down. Knowing that your opponent can play a Sith library cause he just player a Palpatine isn't super useful information, but the opposite is! 

And while you can defenitely memorize them all now, after a lot of packs it's going to become more difficult. That's why it'd be useful to get a system down now for memorizing. 

The whole "knowing the sets" aspect of the game is really cool to me. It adds another layer of choice. "Do i play card A or B? hmm. well he's seen cards from A's set but not B's.. I'll play, that way he won't know what hit him when the big card from B's set come out!"

#7 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

Absolutely. I think that in the long run (and who knows, maybe even the short term as well) people who can build their opponent's deck in their mind as they are playing will be useful. Right now, however, my personal opinion is that there are very few general game changers and many more situational game changers. The advantage comes in knowing which are which and preparing accordingly.

Welcome to the machine!

#8 cracky

cracky

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

Maybe something like a memory palace with the objective being the location and all the cards in the set being there.  Visualizing a story with all of the cards in the set involved could work too.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS