#1 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4104

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

X-Wing Ships:

8xX-wing, 4xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 4xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 5xZ-95, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda

#2 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

Interesting set.  The objective appears to be the scariest part, althought the 2xJawa looks really hilarious too.  Free tactics icons with a "drawback", yea alright.  Not a huge fan of the Sandcrawler yet, unless there is a way for DS to kill their own vehicles somehow.  Its still pretty efficient at 3/3/shielding and 2 black guns, but that drawback is hard for DS to turn positive right now as far as I can see.  The event is pretty meh, 2 cost for an enhance capture seems pretty boring imo.  More Twists are always nice though .  Thoughts?

X-Wing Ships:

8xX-wing, 4xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 4xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 5xZ-95, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda

#3 SlackerHacker

SlackerHacker

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

Hida77 said:

Interesting set.  The objective appears to be the scariest part, althought the 2xJawa looks really hilarious too.  Free tactics icons with a "drawback", yea alright.  Not a huge fan of the Sandcrawler yet, unless there is a way for DS to kill their own vehicles somehow.  Its still pretty efficient at 3/3/shielding and 2 black guns, but that drawback is hard for DS to turn positive right now as far as I can see.  The event is pretty meh, 2 cost for an enhance capture seems pretty boring imo.  More Twists are always nice though .  Thoughts?

I think the objective is very powerul, good card. Jawa is going to be good as well. I like the Sandcrawler as it only targets charcters and droids., it's a great meat shield that does a number on Jedi decks when it finally is killed. If you build an S&V control deck you'll use the Sandcrawler to stall LS attacks while you sit and capture cards, discard cards, choke units…ect. If you can stall LS a few turns with a Sandcrawler  you can really grind down a Jedi deck. Every turn, capture a card with the new objective, if you get two out…lol.   Toss in 2x Take them prisoner…ouch.

#4 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

I love, love, love this objective set. It matches my play style and reminds me of when I dressed up as a Jawa in 8th grade. Edge battles have become my favorite part of playing DS in this game. To that end, the Twist of Fate is a welcome addition to this objective set. I also like the Jawa's ability to go back to your hand. It takes some maneuvering, but I think it couldd turn the tides if timed right. I agree that Utini! is just meh, but I like its 2 Force icons. The Sandcrawler is awesome. Since Hoth seems to be really trying to mesh Vehicles and Characters, I don't think you're likely to find a situation where Sandcrawler's Forced Recation completely fizzles on you. I'm totally stoked to try some Jawa control!

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#5 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

The Jawas are going to be really frustrating.  There are a lot of scenarios I can think of where their "drawback" actually saves their lives.   I attack, you defend, i intentionally throw edge and return them to hand, and your defender gets a token or two just for being my friend? mmmmk…  They may as well be an event that says "Your opponent chooses: he puts a focus on one of his ready units OR you put a token on any of his units. Either way, return this unit to hand".

Also, really awesome for early commit to force since you can easily free up the committed ones by throwing an edge somewhere.

Just thinking about it, appears that if you lose an edge, you have to return them all even if they aren't there (since they all have to react) to your hand, so thats also interesting to consider.

X-Wing Ships:

#6 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

The problem I see with the Sandcrawler is that Rebel Assult/Let the Wookie Win/etc will all be very popular ways for it to lock up all your defenders during your Force phase, and give the LS a free attack on you (which is generally bad).

X-Wing Ships:

#7 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hida77 said:

Just thinking about it, appears that if you lose an edge, you have to return them all even if they aren't there (since they all have to react) to your hand, so thats also interesting to consider.

Good catch! That could actually be quite frustrating for the S&V player. At least they cost 0, but it sure could gum up your hand.

And your point about Rebel Assault (and others) right before DS ends their turn could be devastating. I guess the trick is to save it for the edge if you're facing Rebels.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#8 Jedi_Knight

Jedi_Knight

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Sandcrawler is just meh. Jawas are simply put pure awesomness, so much more useful than Espo Troopers.

Uttinni is one beast of a card. It takes away those pesky Wedges, Droid Upgrades, resources… everything. It has it's uses everytime you get it, since no deck is without enhancements.

Objective itself is, well… not really interesting. Six life is good, but the reaction helps only two cards we know of: Weequay and Slave I. You'll capture about 4 to 6 cards during the course of the whole game, which is just a coin toss of whether you got the crappy Rookie Pilot or the all awesome Rebel Assault. My first reaction was ofc WOW, but as I thought about it, I would really play it because of Jawas, Twist and the enchancements capture, as these cards are really handy.

#9 Jedi_Knight

Jedi_Knight

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

And remeber that Jawas will die eventually: they will get hit by deflection, targeted strike or Heat of Battle. But then again, this unit can turn the tide of the battle on it's own, especially with some other DS beast like Devastator or Emperor.

#10 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

Utinni is S&V's counter to Echo Caverns, methinks. That's cool!

#11 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

I think if you get both copies of the objective in your opening draw and can manage to defend them for a long time, a milling win might actually be doable. But woe be unto you when they do finally blow them up…

#12 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Wow the Greyjoy mill comes to Star Wars lcg.  That may lead to a weequay elite rush.  I like the combos I'm seeing.  I just hope LS rescue can keep up.

#13 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

flightmaster101 said:

Wow the Greyjoy mill comes to Star Wars lcg.  That may lead to a weequay elite rush.  I like the combos I'm seeing.  I just hope LS rescue can keep up.

I think you mean "I hope the LS can kill objectives and then stack their hand".  Yes, I think they can.

X-Wing Ships:

#14 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:50 AM

Hida77 said:

flightmaster101 said:

I think you mean "I hope the LS can kill objectives and then stack their hand".  Yes, I think they can.

I think the problem is after you refresh, but before you deploy you have to discard until you hit your reserve.  So I dont think having a hand of 15 (lets go extreme) cards will help unless they are a majority good edge and/or event cards that are cheap.  That is the only way I can see getting all of these cards back.

#15 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

flightmaster101 said:

Hida77 said:

flightmaster101 said:

I think the problem is after you refresh, but before you deploy you have to discard until you hit your reserve.  So I dont think having a hand of 15 (lets go extreme) cards will help unless they are a majority good edge and/or event cards that are cheap.  That is the only way I can see getting all of these cards back.

Of course, you dont get to keep all of them, but it does allow you to stack your hand for the next turn with all the stuff that was captured that you needed, and potentially toss the rest on defense, potentially nullifying any advantage that was gained by them being gone in the first place.  When you kill it, you basically get to "Brainstorm" (to use a Magic term) for all the cards there and pick/choose which ones you want, which I can attest is a really nice effect to have right after you kill an objective.

X-Wing Ships:

#16 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

I think the S&V counter-strategy to "LS gets an awesome hand after they blow this up" is twofold:

1. Defend it well with cards that have lots of unit damage and tactics to keep the LS assault force from pulling off multiple attacks/kill runs but also

2. Be a little more aggressive offensively than Sith (but not nearly as aggressive as Navy, obviously) and blow up LS objectives here and there so that the game doesn't last that many turns. If you can go just fast enough you should be able to win before LS can overcome being off-balance by you capturing cards every turn. 

You know, be an opportunist. (Oh, I see what they did there, LOL!)

#17 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

Darik said:

I think the S&V counter-strategy to "LS gets an awesome hand after they blow this up" is twofold:

1. Defend it well with cards that have lots of unit damage and tactics to keep the LS assault force from pulling off multiple attacks/kill runs but also

2. Be a little more aggressive offensively than Sith (but not nearly as aggressive as Navy, obviously) and blow up LS objectives here and there so that the game doesn't last that many turns. If you can go just fast enough you should be able to win before LS can overcome being off-balance by you capturing cards every turn. 

You know, be an opportunist. (Oh, I see what they did there, LOL!)

I think timing is going to be key in agreement with point #2.  Also a Rebel vehicle deck with speeders, x-wings, & y-wings would counter very well.  That way you attack with many small vehicles.  S&V can only capture characters and creatures to my recolection so only Leia, Ackbar, and Mon Mothma, ect would be vulnerable.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS