Against Zhar

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Attempting to utilize Investigators from across the expansions and the main game, Sister Mary, Finn Edwards, Akachi Onyele, and Joe Diamond fought a desparate struggle against Zhar.

[Note: My solo games have several variants as I play with all expansions.  i.e. During the Initial Mythos Phase (Turn 0) and the first four Mythos Phases, as I play with four Investigators, Gates only appear on Arkham locations]

Turns 1-3:  Things did not begin well, as the Initital Mythos card, Silver Twilight Lodge on Trial saw to the arrest of Mary and Akachi.  From an RPG perspective, it made it interesting as the first full turn had three Investigators, including Joe, in the Police Station.  Both Joe and Finn grabbed a few Clue tokens before the others joined in the adventure.  Unfortunately, by the end of the 3rd Turn, the Mythos card, Evidence Destroyed removed the remaining Clue tokens from Arkham, Kingsport, Dunwich, and Innsmouth [Note: Hypnos is a regular Guardian in all solo games]  For those of you who have never encountered this card, I can't think of one I've seen which made me weep so bittterly…

Doom Track: 2 of 11

Turns 4-6:  With a few Clue tokens appearing again, along with two Gates, the Investigators started to gather the necessary items to enter Other Worlds and return.  While Joe's Skill made him a Criminal and gave him the Sheldon Gang Membership, he didn't have a chance to use it during he entire game.  Akachi's Cult Membership, however did result in receiving a spell but also had discarded nearly a half-dozen Corruption CardsMary had befrended Eric Colt and became an Ally after winning at Poker over at Hibb's Roadhouse (which also cost her access to the area as she was then Barred from Easttown).  Finally, Finn spent all of his money and defaulted on his Bank Loan.  With a bit of good luck, Joe returned from the Abyss to Independence Square and sealed (1 of 6) the location.  Later, an encounter at the Silver Twilight Lodge yielded him an Ally, Ruby Standish.  Finally, a Mystic Environment card forced the Investigators to add an additional Doom Token to Doom Track to return the Act I card to the deck.

Doom Track: 5 of 11

Turns 7-9: Akachi and Mary had managed to traverse their respective Other Worlds, return and seal each location (2 and 3 of 6), but things started to get very busy in Kingsport [Note: Placement of Rift Markers on the Rift Track occurs only when a new Gate opens, including Gate Bursts], so Akachi spent the balance of these turns and the next few turns visiting the coastal city.  Mary, having returned to the Marsh Refinery hopped a train back to Arkham where she could assist Joe returning from Yuggoth at the Black Cave.  Finn managed to slip undetected past a monster on a Gate at the Graveyard and enter Lost Carcosa.  Later, an encounter at the Silver Twilight Lodge permitted the young man to become a Member.  A Monster Surge gave a bit of a repreive these few rounds from additional Doom Tokens.

Doom Track: 7 of 11

Turns 10-12: Akachi continue to keep the Rift Track from filling too quickly, while the other Investigators, all of whom were scouring for Clue tokens in Arkham had a few encounters.  Finn, albeit delayed, returned from the Other World and exhausted his Clue tokens sealing the location (4 of 6) and defeated a third Monster, a Cultist, which allowed him to Pass his Personal Story.  He was in bad shape mentally, and low on funds, so he did spend the next few turns at the Arkham AsylumJoe had tried unsuccessfully to stay at the Silver Twilight Lodge, as a couple of goons had tossed him out into the street when he turned down Membership.  Eventually, he did remain at the Lodge and Pass his Personal Story, yielding him some much needed money.

Doom Track: 9 of 11

Turns 13-15: Akachi and Mary headed to Dunwich to gatehr some Clue tokens and enter the one Gate at Gardner's Place.  While Akachi passed through the Other World and managed to seal the location (5 of 6), her time in R'Lyeh and Mary's time encountering the locals in Dunwich left them both drained of Sanity.  Thus, they spent a few turns on the mend and slowly regaining that precious commodity.  Back in Arkham, Joe visited the Curiosittie Shoppe and found an Elder Sign, while Finn had used the Tome Eltdown Shards which removed a Doom Token from the Doom Track and later, Dhol Chants, picked-up the Ally William Bain, again removing a Doom Token from the Doom Track.  Unfortunately, another Mystic Enviroment card forced Act I to remain. Also, the Rumor, Cursed Relics apeared and while the Investigators had a few Unique Items they could discard, the Terror Track would rise in time.

Doom Track: 8 of 11

Turns 16-18:  The End is Nigh…Joe raced to Dunwich to aid his friends with some money so that they could travel either to Arkham or Innsmouth to the five open Gates around the towns.  A newly opened Gate at the Esoteric Order of Dagon meant the placement of a Rift Marker on the Rift Track which in turn opened a Rift releasing a Monster [Note: Rifts open in Kingsport and only when the Dimensional Symbol moves along a solid colored arrow, not the blended black/white variety from a location, does the Rift add a Doom Token].  Then, it happened…the Mythos card The Rails Are Washed Out ~ an Urban Environment card which meant that three of our Investigators…namely the ones who got to know one another at the beginning of the game in the Police Station, were stuck in Dunwich AND the Act II card  appeared!  While we were fortunate to have another Environment card appear, releasing them from 'captivity' it did move the Doom Track closer to the end.  With Joe and Mary in the Abyss, Akachi in the Dreamlands, and Finn receiving a Blessing at the South Church, the next card…a Rumor (ignored due to the Cursed Relics in play) revealed a Double-Doomer in the lower left-hand part of the card, filling the Doom Track

Zhar awoke and the end came quickly.    

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

The Professor said:

Zhar awoke and the end came quickly.    

Sorry to hear the game ended in a defeat. Zhar is an ugly beast, indeed. You had a great party, though, you should go for a rematch!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

How do you manage inter-board travel without getting bogged down? Do you tend to have someone just "babysit" an area or do folks routinely go zipping back and forth between Arkham, Innsmouth, Kingsport and Dunwich?

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:24 AM

To Julia:  Welcome back, my friend!  Hope your trip was outstanding and I can't wait to chat with you about it.  As to this party, yes they were great, but sadly, at the present time, there's no rematch in their future.  I have another 9 games in which I go through all 48 of the Investigators against each of the 24 GOOs.  I haven't checked-out Tibs' chart, but I'm sure that this character hasn't been beaten in Final Combat…or at least often.

To Wolfgar:  It really depends on the game.  If I have a number of Mythos Phases which reveal only Monster Surges and Kingsport stays relatively quiet, I won't send anyone to the coastal city.  However, about hal of the games require someone to travel there and handle the Rift Markers for a few turns.  It usually occurs after someone has sealed a location and their low on either Sanity or Stamina and need a few moe Clue tokens.  Dunwich is an area that can remain quiet the entire game, so it's not often that I need to deploy an Investigator to that town.  It was funny however, to have three Investigators trapped in Dunwich.  Finally, Innsmouth is one that can pop-up and be frightening in just a few turns.  While my variant only has a Deep Ones Marker added to the Deep Ones Track when one or more monsters enter a vortex on the same turn. I've seen the Track filled to four or five spaces.  Also, it's a function of money ~ some games, Investigators are flush with cash, other times, not so much.   

The Professor

#5 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

The Professor said:

To Julia:  Welcome back, my friend!  Hope your trip was outstanding and I can't wait to chat with you about it.  As to this party, yes they were great, but sadly, at the present time, there's no rematch in their future.  I have another 9 games in which I go through all 48 of the Investigators against each of the 24 GOOs.  I haven't checked-out Tibs' chart, but I'm sure that this character hasn't been beaten in Final Combat…or at least often.

Thanks Joe :-) Yeah, everything was great :-)
At the moment, Zhar is in the 6th position in Tibs charts. I played only few games against this guy, but fortunately I never entered final battle with him…

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#6 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

There are few with whom I want to enter Final Battle…reir

The Professor

#7 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

The Professor said:

There are few with whom I want to enter Final Battle…reir

Agreed! (man, it's a life I don't play Arkham!)

#8 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

Julia said:

At the moment, Zhar is in the 6th position in Tibs charts. I played only few games against this guy, but fortunately I never entered final battle with him…

Tib's charts?

#9 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Wolfgar said:

Julia said:

At the moment, Zhar is in the 6th position in Tibs' charts. I played only few games against this guy, but fortunately I never entered final battle with him…

Tib's charts?

Yep! Arkham Horror Statistics Reports, here!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS