Photo

The Steward's Fear is Shipping to Store !

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

I guess in a couple days we'll know who the new hero is…As some of you know I think we'll see Faramir…but who knows…maybe we'll get dear old Sam…Anyway it's great to know the new cycle is almost out !

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

thank Eru! so whats that, about a month until europe gets it……..it needs the precious now…….cangrejo

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 son_of_horus

son_of_horus

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Thank god finally!!  Now I can start bugging my FLGS to order me one!!

#4 Colino

Colino

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

Man I hope we get Sam someday.

The other night I was thinking about how he could show up as a hero and I thought him up as a low threat cost spirit hero (5 or 6) with

1 Willpower

2 Attack

1 Defense

and the text "Samwise Gamgee gains +1 (willpower) for each Hobbit hero you control.

I know it's a far fetch from what FFG might do but for some reason I felt it was absolutely great…

Really I just dream of running an effective Hobbit secrecy deck, I think it would be one of the most fun ways to play this game.

#5 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Definitely. I've been waiting to play powerful hobbit decks for a while. Maybe we'll start seeing possibilities for them soon! 

And your version of Sam is actually pretty good in thematic terms.  I'd play him in a hobbit deck. cangrejo  For some reason I always dream of Sam being some super powerful hero… Don't know why. 

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#6 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

legolas18 said:

For some reason I always dream of Sam being some super powerful hero… Don't know why. 

your reasoning is well founded….were it not for that little gardner we'd all be speaking the black speech right now cangrejo

#7 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Haha. I agree.  (Post too short… Looks like I'll have to fill it with crabs…)  cangrejocangrejocangrejocangrejocangrejocangrejocangrejocangrejomonocangrejo  Hey… What's that one near the end? :)

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#8 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

I agree, Spirit does seem a logical fit for Samwise… But with Frodo already in that sphere, I would like to see some Hobbit love in the other spheres.  I definitely see that Merry and Pippin (at least the mature versions of them) could be easily slotted in the Tactics and Leadership spheres, but it really does seem hard to slot 'ol Samwise anywhere other than Spirit… sigh.  I thought perhaps that they could make a case for Lore based off his love of all things Elvish… but it was always more of an infatuation with the Elves themselves he had, rather than the knowledge they possessed…  However, it was to Sam that Frodo gave the Red Book of Westmarch, so perhaps they could do something Lore'ish based around that… 

My other thought is that a "later version" of himself could be in the Leadership sphere since he was voted as the Mayor of the Shire for 49 years!

OH!  Just had another thought… I don't think that many of us would contend that at his core Sam was someone of great spirit, first and foremost.  But he also seemed to be one of the most "flexible" of the hobbits, always rising to the challange of whatever was put in front of him.  For example, I don't think ANY of us would drop him into the Tactics sphere, BUT he did wield the Phial of Galadriel to drive off Shelob, then after briefly taking the One-ring on himself, went back and rescued Frodo single-handedly from the orcs that had captured him…

So how about a Spirit Sam, with a Phial of Galadriel attachment (because we all know they will have one in the game eventually) that in addition to whatever abilities it grants the bearer, also grants the Tactics sphere if played on Sam?  I guess they could do the same thing with the Red Book (to grant lore sphere), but I see them doing a complete separate version of Sam to represent that era…

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#9 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Sam shouldn't get +1 willpower for every hobbit you control. He was oftne over shadowed by the other hobbits until it was just him and Frodo.

I'd like to see him get an ability specifically designed to combo with Frodo (maybe something to lower threat due to bolstering spirits. Or perhaps even, if Samwise is in play Frodo gets +2 willpower) I like the threat reduction more, I think that better reflects the role he filled. Rather than being heroic in his own right, he kept the party going longer than it otherwise would have.

#10 Colino

Colino

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Yes my other idea was some sort of threat reduction.

I think Sam would be really thematically strong as a decent quester with good defense, but with Frodo already being such an extraordinary defender there's no chance of that happening.

I also think it's not that bad that he'd also be Spirit, what with Against the Shadows pushing monosphere decks and all. Although that would give you trouble with Fast Hitch which will be THE card to have in a hobbit deck.

#11 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Colino said:

Yes my other idea was some sort of threat reduction.

I think Sam would be really thematically strong as a decent quester with good defense, but with Frodo already being such an extraordinary defender there's no chance of that happening.

I also think it's not that bad that he'd also be Spirit, what with Against the Shadows pushing monosphere decks and all. Although that would give you trouble with Fast Hitch which will be THE card to have in a hobbit deck.

One of the exact reasons for my desire for spreading out the hobbits… lol.  I abhor using slots in my decks for the Songs to get into alt spheres…

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#12 Samwise Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

benhanses said:

I agree, Spirit does seem a logical fit for Samwise… But with Frodo already in that sphere, I would like to see some Hobbit love in the other spheres.  I definitely see that Merry and Pippin (at least the mature versions of them) could be easily slotted in the Tactics and Leadership spheres, but it really does seem hard to slot 'ol Samwise anywhere other than Spirit… sigh.  I thought perhaps that they could make a case for Lore based off his love of all things Elvish… but it was always more of an infatuation with the Elves themselves he had, rather than the knowledge they possessed…  However, it was to Sam that Frodo gave the Red Book of Westmarch, so perhaps they could do something Lore'ish based around that… 

My other thought is that a "later version" of himself could be in the Leadership sphere since he was voted as the Mayor of the Shire for 49 years!

OH!  Just had another thought… I don't think that many of us would contend that at his core Sam was someone of great spirit, first and foremost.  But he also seemed to be one of the most "flexible" of the hobbits, always rising to the challange of whatever was put in front of him.  For example, I don't think ANY of us would drop him into the Tactics sphere, BUT he did wield the Phial of Galadriel to drive off Shelob, then after briefly taking the One-ring on himself, went back and rescued Frodo single-handedly from the orcs that had captured him…

So how about a Spirit Sam, with a Phial of Galadriel attachment (because we all know they will have one in the game eventually) that in addition to whatever abilities it grants the bearer, also grants the Tactics sphere if played on Sam?  I guess they could do the same thing with the Red Book (to grant lore sphere), but I see them doing a complete separate version of Sam to represent that era…

How about Sam as the first neutral hero? Jack of all trades, master of none.

#13 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Samwise Gamgee said:

benhanses said:

How about Sam as the first neutral hero? Jack of all trades, master of none.

Wow… great minds think alike… lol. I was actually thinking earlier about what if they made the other three hobbits (Sam, Merry, Pippin) neutral, with some sort of mechanic for them to key off of Frodo….

#14 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

richsabre said:

thank Eru! so whats that, about a month until europe gets it……..it needs the precious now…….cangrejo

Spanish distributor announces it for May 10th. Yes, just one week. campana

#15 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:41 AM

if so then that will be the quickest we have ever got them….hopefully…….

rich

#16 opethwindowpane

opethwindowpane

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

Samwise Gamgee
Spirit
Threat Cost: 8
Willpower: 2
Attack: 1
Defense: 1
HP: 3
If you control another damaged hobbit character, Sam has +1 [WILLPOWER] and +1 [ATTACK]
Response: After you optionally engage an enemy, Sam has +1 [ATTACK] and +1 [DEFENSE] until the end of the phase.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS