• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

http://toptiergaming...le=Mt. Prospect

All star pod of the weekend was NOT the Renegade Squadron, but Preparation for Battle instead. Saw play in the top 3 decks. Winner was playing Rebel/Navy, with second place playing Jedi/Something….

Top Tier Gaming, a fan website dedicated to X-Wing Miniatures and Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/jmcb1001

#2 ZombieTonyBlair

ZombieTonyBlair

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:34 AM

Does anyone have any insight on the choice between Mobalize the Sqaudron and the Jedi pack with Red 5 in it, for the vehicle decks that seem to be doing very well?

#3 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

I'm curious as well - Covering Fire's interaction with Preparation for Battle makes Mobilize the Squadrons look a lot more attractive.

#4 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

There are only 2 cards worth playing in Mobilize and you can live without them. Journey has a better unit, resource ramp in R2 and Target of Opportunity. 

#5 ZombieTonyBlair

ZombieTonyBlair

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Covering fire also combos well with Leia.  I think I'm going to try the deck both ways and see how it works.  The actual Mobalize the Squadrons card is much better than the Jedi version.  But Wedge on Red 5 seems pretty good too.

#6 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

ZombieTonyBlair said:

Covering fire also combos well with Leia.  I think I'm going to try the deck both ways and see how it works.  The actual Mobalize the Squadrons card is much better than the Jedi version.  But Wedge on Red 5 seems pretty good too.

Check out the 3rd place deck from the same regional. It was running Mobilize the Squadron over Journey to Dagobah and he has already said he plans on swapping over to Journey to Dagobah. 

Covering Fire is not that important to the deck when you have so many shielding units and the objectives. It would be good in those instances where you dont draw into any shielding speeders or get a Fleeing. 

#7 Sheik

Sheik

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

JMCB said:

http://toptiergaming...le=Mt. Prospect

All star pod of the weekend was NOT the Renegade Squadron, but Preparation for Battle instead. Saw play in the top 3 decks. Winner was playing Rebel/Navy, with second place playing Jedi/Something….

Just a note to people: When 'Winning' deck is listed, keep in mind that of the three elimination matches for Top 4, only one game was ACTUALLY played. The others were concessions by Meta-mates.

Does that take anything away from the strength of the decks/players? Not really. But it does give a little less validity to 'Winner's Deck had it.

Sheik

#8 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

That is true, but the fact that we finished 1st-3rd in swiss rounds has to account for something. Also, that is the second regional we accomished that goal with near identical DS decks. 

Playing out the top 4 would have just been the 3 of us beating each other. Did you play against any of us during the tournament?

#9 Sheik

Sheik

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

TGO said:

That is true, but the fact that we finished 1st-3rd in swiss rounds has to account for something. Also, that is the second regional we accomished that goal with near identical DS decks. 

Playing out the top 4 would have just been the 3 of us beating each other. Did you play against any of us during the tournament?

Yes I did.

And as I noted, I'm not taking anything away from the decks or the players per se. Just making it clear that the winning deck, didn't actually WIN the event. 

#10 cephalgia

cephalgia

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

TGO said:

There are only 2 cards worth playing in Mobilize and you can live without them. Journey has a better unit, resource ramp in R2 and Target of Opportunity. 

Isn't the new Smuggler set drastically better than the Red 5 set?

#11 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

cephalgia said:

TGO said:

its a lot slower. I actually swapped it out on the way to the tournament. I put more emphasis on blast icons over tactics and health. I also want more cheaper units and wedge can pilot red 5 and not Rogue Squadron.  

#12 cephalgia

cephalgia

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

TGO said:

cephalgia said:

TGO said:

its a lot slower. I actually swapped it out on the way to the tournament. I put more emphasis on blast icons over tactics and health. I also want more cheaper units and wedge can pilot red 5 and not Rogue Squadron.  

I actually believe it's stronger because of Trait enhancement.

#13 ZombieTonyBlair

ZombieTonyBlair

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

I'm going to test the rebel vehicle deck with the Home 1 pack instead of the Red 5 pack.  It has the same Target of Opportunity, similar resource generaltion, a second unit with more blast damage, a better first unit, and a shielding card that is basically fleeing the empire that's essentially free.

Me and my buddy played a bunch of games last night with the red 5 version, and it seemed like it needed a little more punch to win against darkside vehicle deck.

#14 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

There is no Shielding in the Rebel Fleet set.

#15 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

ZombieTonyBlair said:

I'm going to test the rebel vehicle deck with the Home 1 pack instead of the Red 5 pack.  It has the same Target of Opportunity, similar resource generaltion, a second unit with more blast damage, a better first unit, and a shielding card that is basically fleeing the empire that's essentially free.

Me and my buddy played a bunch of games last night with the red 5 version, and it seemed like it needed a little more punch to win against darkside vehicle deck.

I dont think its wrong to play with Home 1 or Renegade Squadron over Red 5. I prefer the Red 5 pod because that gives you another option to play with Wedge and Red 5 can blow up objectives on its own where as the other two dont. I have played a few games with the deck minus Fleeing the Empire and added Rebel Fleet in its place and it played ok. 

#16 ZombieTonyBlair

ZombieTonyBlair

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

There is no sheilding in the Red 5 pod either, so the amount of shielding in the deck doesn't decrease.

So I tested the Home 1 version against Sith Tiefighters and Capital ships (Not exactly the tourniment winning deck, swap out both endor gambits for second defense protocols and a reconasense(spelling?) mission.)

All the games were pretty close, but the rebels won 3-1 versus the tie fighters.  Turn 1 Devastator ticked up the dial a little to quick for me.  I'm on the Leader(or whatever it is called) can completely wreck the rebel's plan, though.  Home 1 never hit the table, but the extra y-wings definitly did, and keeping the same number of Target's of Opportunity definitly snuck in more than one objective.  I drew Home 1 once and didn't have the fifth resource to play it, but I still won that game.  Most of the time I hade a good number of resources, but the deck still worked dropping two, 2 drops a turn.

I definitly can see the allure of 2 more rebel assaults, and mobalize the squadrons is one of the best rebel objectives, and 2 more cards for the leia combo would be nice, but the other cards in the set aren't great, and you lose a ton of blast damage running it.

very few of the games saw turn 4, it was usually over by then.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS