Cincinnati, OH (Art of War) Regional - Top Player's Deck Lists

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 desilijic

desilijic

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hi! I'm John Crawford, the guy who won the regional at Art of War in Cincinnati on April 20.

First, let me clarify that there was a three-way tie for first place. It was a five round tournament; at the end, three players had 17 tournament points. Apparently I had the most difficult strength of schedule so I was declared the winner.

DECKS

Thanks to Red5ccg for posting my decks here: http://toptiergaming.com/forums/index.php?/forum/6-decks/.

Here is a quick summary:

LS: Jedi Affiliation, 4 x2, 8 x2, 11 x2, 17, 18, 38 x2

DS: Sith Affiliation, 23 x2, 26 x2, 32 x2, 35, 36, 41 x2

STRATEGY

LS: I knew going in that it was a risk to run a rebel deck, but I'd gone 8-0 with this deck before the start if the regional so I decided to go with it. The tournament had 60 minute rounds, and since this deck either wins quickly or loses quickly, I figured that it would help me finish two games each round. It worked in that regard, since I had no rounds go to time. I went 3-2 with this deck.

DS: I've run a variation of this deck since I started playing this game, and I absolutely adore it. It's a blast to play. I’m probably just being egotistical, but I believe that this deck is significantly more difficult to use that your standard Sith control deck. Like my LS deck, this deck is also very fast. Best of all, it has numerous tricks to slow down the “Smuggler’s Den” (or other Jedi) deck. Additionally, it destroys lots of objectives, which helps with differential/tiebreaker if I lose with my LS deck. I went 4-1 with this deck.

I played some very good gamers at this tournament, and everyone was very nice. Luckily, I had some very good draws.

By the way, I don’t use the forums much. A better way to keep track of me is to follow me on Twitter @desilijic78.

#2 desilijic

desilijic

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Posting this with a different color text:

Hi! I'm John Crawford, the guy who won the regional at Art of War in Cincinnati on April 20.

First, let me clarify that there was a three-way tie for first place. It was a five round tournament; at the end, three players had 17 tournament points. Apparently I had the most difficult strength of schedule so I was declared the winner.

DECKS

Thanks to Red5ccg for posting my decks here: http://toptiergaming.com/forums/index.php?/forum/6-decks/.

Here is a quick summary:

LS: Jedi Affiliation, 4 x2, 8 x2, 11 x2, 17, 18, 38 x2

DS: Sith Affiliation, 23 x2, 26 x2, 32 x2, 35, 36, 41 x2

STRATEGY

LS: I knew going in that it was a risk to run a rebel deck, but I'd gone 8-0 with this deck before the start if the regional so I decided to go with it. The tournament had 60 minute rounds, and since this deck either wins quickly or loses quickly, I figured that it would help me finish two games each round. It worked in that regard, since I had no rounds go to time. I went 3-2 with this deck.

DS: I've run a variation of this deck since I started playing this game, and I absolutely adore it. It's a blast to play. I’m probably just being egotistical, but I believe that this deck is significantly more difficult to use that your standard Sith control deck. Like my LS deck, this deck is also very fast. Best of all, it has numerous tricks to slow down the “Smuggler’s Den” (or other Jedi) deck. Additionally, it destroys lots of objectives, which helps with differential/tiebreaker if I lose with my LS deck. I went 4-1 with this deck.

I played some very good gamers at this tournament, and everyone was very nice. Luckily, I had some very good draws.

By the way, I don’t use the forums much. A better way to keep track of me is to follow me on Twitter @desilijic78.

#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

I guess it's a good thing that I didn't manage to squeeze out one more point of damage with my LS deck against you and force a true draw.  It would have cost you a point and the win without gaining me anything.

-Matt/dbmeboy/red5ccg/your round 2 opponent

#4 ZombieTonyBlair

ZombieTonyBlair

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:59 AM

I'm very curious to the reasoning behind splashing sith for the Emperor's pack, in the darkside trooper deck.

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:05 AM

ZombieTonyBlair said:

I'm very curious to the reasoning behind splashing sith for the Emperor's pack, in the darkside trooper deck.

I can give you some insight into that because I actually discussed it with John at the tournament. Force Choke/Lightning are decent cards to have, as is the Emperor himself, but the main draw is the Royal Guard who can keep all of the weenies alive long enough to do their damage.

#6 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Swinging with an Emperor first to try and lock down a board is never a bad idea either. 

#7 desilijic

desilijic

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

dbmeboy is completely correct: the Royal Guard is critical for protecting the other characters, who are often each putting out 1-3 blast damage each. And TGO is  right about the Emperor: he is the best controller in the game. Card for card, the Emperor's Web is among the best (if not the very best) objective set in the game.

And yes, dmeboy, I'm very lucky that you weren't able to take out another objective! Maybe we'll have a rematch soon (I'm considering going to the regional in Centerville, OH on 5/19).

#8 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

4 out of 6 cards in the emperors set are really good, Sith Library is good ramp but the objective is not that good. 

#9 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

desilijic said:

And yes, dmeboy, I'm very lucky that you weren't able to take out another objective! Maybe we'll have a rematch soon (I'm considering going to the regional in Centerville, OH on 5/19).

I wouldn't complain about a rematch, but it looks like the only remaining regional I'll be able to make this year is the one in Bloomington, IN on 5/18.

#10 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

How many players attended?

#11 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

ScottieATF said:

#12 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

dbmeboy said:

ScottieATF said:

That's awesome!

Any insight on why the TO decided to not do a top cut?  That many players, with the scoring varience in this game, was ripe for the type of situation that occured (the 3 way tie).

#13 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

I think he just wanted everyone to get the chance to play more games. Also, the event started at 6pm (which was far too late), so cutting to top 8 after 4 rounds would have gone crazy late/early.

#14 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

dbmeboy said:
I think he just wanted everyone to get the chance to play more games. Also, the event started at 6pm (which was far too late), so cutting to top 8 after 4 rounds would have gone crazy late/early.
That's the second regional I've heard starting that late. I don't know whatcsome venues are thinking.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS