New old player in need of deck advice

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Deor

Deor

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hello all. I have the core plus the first six ap's and am really wanting to play a solo spirit lore deck. I built a frodo, bilbo and glorfindel deck. Focusing on frodo  soaking up damage when needed as well as fast hitch to reuse the hobbits multiple times a turn. But I'm having a real tough go of it after the first quest in the core set. I was looking for general tips when going about a solo lore spirit deck with the card pool available to me at the present time. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Deor

#2 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Total Cards (50)

Hero (3)
Bilbo Baggins (THFG) x1
Frodo Baggins (CatC) x1
Glorfindel (Core) x1

Ally (15)
Gandalf (Core) x3
Gildor Inglorion (THoEM) x2
Gleowine (Core) x1
Haldir of Lorien (AJtR) x2
Henamarth Riversong (Core) x1
Rivendell Minstrel (THFG) x3
The Riddermark's Finest (THoEM) x3

Attachment (21)
A Burning Brand (CatC) x2
Ancient Mathom (AJtR) x2
Fast Hitch (TDM) x3
Forest Snare (Core) x3
Protector of Lorien (Core) x2
Song of Kings (THFG) x1
Song of Travel (THoEM) x1
Steward of Gondor (Core) x3
Unexpected Courage (Core) x2
Boots from Erebor (KD) x2

Event (14)
A Test of Will (Core) x3
Dwarven Tomb (Core) x2
Lore of Imladris (Core) x3
Sneak Attack (Core) x3
The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core) x3

This kind of deck u used in the time of first and second cycle. Try it! Quite good deck!

Wizard is never late.......

#3 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

Deor said:

Hello all. I have the core plus the first six ap's and am really wanting to play a solo spirit lore deck. I built a frodo, bilbo and glorfindel deck. Focusing on frodo  soaking up damage when needed as well as fast hitch to reuse the hobbits multiple times a turn. But I'm having a real tough go of it after the first quest in the core set. I was looking for general tips when going about a solo lore spirit deck with the card pool available to me at the present time. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Deor

how about eowyn, dunere, beravor?

that way you have a decent amount of willpower, card draw with beravor, and with UC, some ok-ish hitting power, especially with dunhere in the staging area

the weakness with spirit/lore is of course the poor fighting. these two spheres get much better with the coming of the dwarrowdelf cycle, so i have a much better deck with those cards…frodo features in that deck, and uses fast hitch, however his ability can of  course only be used once (per phase if im remembering rightly?)

in the deck heros i posted, try putting in protector of lorien, and then using beravors card draw, mixed with wealth of lorien, you can discard your plentiful card hand to buff up your stats…however remember protector got killed on the last errate (see FAQ)

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#4 Deor

Deor

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for the deck list my only problem is I only have one core set so can't run some of the cards in the quantities you have. Also I don't have kd so I can't run the boots. Any suggestions on replacing the cards I don't have? Thanks again

#5 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Deor said:

Thanks for the deck list my only problem is I only have one core set so can't run some of the cards in the quantities you have. Also I don't have kd so I can't run the boots. Any suggestions on replacing the cards I don't have? Thanks again

So that's 10 cards you need as a replacement?

I'd take:

1x additional Burning Brand

1x additional Ancient Mathom

and… more allies! (Glaurung's ego doesn't allow to many support ;-))

3x Daughter of the Nimrodel

2x Northern Tracker

2x Erebor Hammersmith

1x Westroad Traveller

#6 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

richsabre said:

Deor said:

Deor

how about eowyn, dunere, beravor?

that way you have a decent amount of willpower, card draw with beravor, and with UC, some ok-ish hitting power, especially with dunhere in the staging area

the weakness with spirit/lore is of course the poor fighting. these two spheres get much better with the coming of the dwarrowdelf cycle, so i have a much better deck with those cards…frodo features in that deck, and uses fast hitch, however his ability can of  course only be used once (per phase if im remembering rightly?)

in the deck heros i posted, try putting in protector of lorien, and then using beravors card draw, mixed with wealth of lorien, you can discard your plentiful card hand to buff up your stats…however remember protector got killed on the last errate (see FAQ)

rich

Bilbo helps you more as Beravor. You get an additional card for free, and you can use him multiple times with Fast Hitch. And PoL also goes nicely with him.

#7 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

as much as i like bilbo i would not use him in said deck, as much as glaurung votes for it.

beravor is one of the best rounded heros in the game. despite bilbo being a better hero for the PoL combo (which i used for a long time before it got shafted), you have 2 1-attack heros…the deck is rather weak on the hitting power for a solo deck for me

i would probably pair both hobbits with a mono tactics hitting/defense deck, or i would wait until we get the new hobbit cards that manipulate enemy attacks, but as it stands, i personally couldnt confidently win with the posted deck.

…still each to their own…..

#8 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

richsabre said:

as much as i like bilbo i would not use him in said deck, as much as glaurung votes for it.

beravor is one of the best rounded heros in the game. despite bilbo being a better hero for the PoL combo (which i used for a long time before it got shafted), you have 2 1-attack heros…the deck is rather weak on the hitting power for a solo deck for me

i would probably pair both hobbits with a mono tactics hitting/defense deck, or i would wait until we get the new hobbit cards that manipulate enemy attacks, but as it stands, i personally couldnt confidently win with the posted deck.

…still each to their own…..

Usually you only have to deal with two attackers in solo mode. Bilbo (or Gildor) can deal with that. I agree that the deck has a certain lack of ATT (especially if you only have 2x Sneak Attack) which is why I added Northern Tracker and Erebor Hammersmith.

Beravor is not that best rounded when she is always exhausted after getting you these extra cards. After all there's only one Unexpected Courage in the deck.

Btw, you still have to ***advertising*** build four mono decks that are mainly constructed ny the cards' art flavour to grab the place below me in my Solo Mono Challenge. ;-)

#9 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

valid points….still, i woulnt use the line up glaurung posted at all…..we are probably the complete opposite as play styles go….i need my tactics blocking deck haha

oh, i wasnt ignoring your thread…..i just dont do competitions as a rule….probably due to the amount i lose!! (actually thats not true, im winning alot now, but only because ive spent the last two years building 2 decks that work for me)

rich

#10 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

richsabre said:

valid points….still, i woulnt use the line up glaurung posted at all…..we are probably the complete opposite as play styles go….i need my tactics blocking deck haha

oh, i wasnt ignoring your thread…..i just dont do competitions as a rule….probably due to the amount i lose!! (actually thats not true, im winning alot now, but only because ive spent the last two years building 2 decks that work for me)

rich

Now we're all glad that Frodo didn't say that at Elrond's Counsel, aren't we?

#11 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

leptokurt said:

richsabre said:

rich

Now we're all glad that Frodo didn't say that at Elrond's Counsel, aren't we?

haha, those bagginses and their competetiveness……..

#12 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

So if its not due to the amount you lose, then…….. I say its time to break your streak! You should do the challenge!! :D

Khamul

#13 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

Khamul The Easterling said:

So if its not due to the amount you lose, then…….. I say its time to break your streak! You should do the challenge!! :D

Khamul

well…i think it has more to do with the way i apporoach this game. i tried some of the competetive play challenges when the game first came out….to me it ruins the fun. its all amount the immersion to me :)

rich

#14 Deor

Deor

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I agree with rich about immersion. It's why I put the hobbits together. Glorfindel is less important but I needed a hero that can attack for me. I understand the lack of attack in the deck and that is why I put in glorfindel. Is there a better option with my card pool in lore or spirit for a better fighter?

#15 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:53 AM

Deor said:

Thanks for all the advice. I agree with rich about immersion. It's why I put the hobbits together. Glorfindel is less important but I needed a hero that can attack for me. I understand the lack of attack in the deck and that is why I put in glorfindel. Is there a better option with my card pool in lore or spirit for a better fighter?

Mirkwood Runner.

I still think, however, that Glorfindel plus two or three allies is enough to make a stand.

#16 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:59 AM

i forgot about the runner…that guy helped me win so many games during the mirkwood cycle (not to mention khazad dum….they're great for those orcs)

rich

#17 Deor

Deor

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:54 AM

Alright well update time. I played through the second core quest and got smashed several times. So it looks like flavor and immersion will have to take a back seat for a while. What is a deck you guys could recommend with core x 1 and all mirkwood ap's to complete all the quests through the mirkwood cycle solo? Again thanks for all the help and suggestions. I really love the community here.

#18 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

immersion is only realy do able when your card pool is higher, i know i can make some decks i wuold recommend and could easily beat mirkwood quests (well most of them), and still be thematic, but they need the dwarrowdelf packs

actually dwarrowdelf is an important cycle for solo players with cards like light of valinor, asfaloth, glorfindel, the twins and so on

as for your current card pool (you have all of mirkwood right?) i would go with a 3 dwarf deck…..Dain/Thalin/Gloin (bifur would be better when you have him)

basic deck….just keep dain ready and quest with the other two for a +1 willpower on each, and thalins 1 damage. get unexpected courage on dain so he can defend and give him some dunedain warnings

make sure you have the tactics and leadership dwarf allies, and steward of gondor. i would say use gloin as a shield and get resources, but you wont have any lore healing so perhaps not.

have the dwarven axes and feint

also put in a few copies of gandalf and sneak attack, and ever vigilant for your allies (which you will need due to the other two heros questing)

put the eagles in also

narvis belt would be best but that is in khazad dum, so have song of kings and battle to even out the resources

rich

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS