Choices, choices.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Mayhem

Captain Mayhem

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

I want to get another model. Do I get a 6th X wing or do i get a 4th Y wing?

#2 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Captain Mayhem said:

I want to get another model. Do I get a 6th X wing or do i get a 4th Y wing?

If you're sticking with 100-point squads, the extra x-wing would be redundant - you can't get 6 X-Wings (or even 5 for that matter) in a 100 point squad. You can, however, get a 4th Y-Wing in a 100-point squad. If you're talking about builds over 100 points then I guess it comes down to which you like to play more.

#3 paladin72

paladin72

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

I just bought a fourth Y-wing for the same reason ziggy mentioned. 4 Y's may not have a lot of firepower but seems like a lot of fun trying to make it work.

#4 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Dutch and 3 Golds with Ion Cannons is strangely quite effective.  The Ion is one of those things that gets better with every additional one on the table.  One Y-Wing can Ion a ship, but is still vulnerable to the focused fire of everybody else.  4 Y-Wings can Ion 3 or 4 ships, and make all of them immune to return fire.

Not the most creative list, nor is it any fun at all to play against, but there you go.  I absolutely dominated the other night running that list, dropping a Falcon + Wedge list, a 6 TIE list, and an unfortunate 3 X list.  The 3 X was horrific, we met roughly in the middle of the table, shot at each other, and he didn't get to chose another maneuver for the rest of the game.  He commented that if he wanted to just watch a game he would have saved himself the trouble of bringing his miniatures.

By the way, I took the Falcon down by stacking 2 Y-Wings in front of the Falcon with him parked on an asteroid.  Both Y-Wings lost their actions, but he couldn't shoot at all and no actions available to avoid the Ion shots coming in.  He took damage from the rock every maneuver phase plus damage from the Ions.  Wedge was slowly Ioned to death with no opporunity to turn around and shoot back.  It was pretty broken.

#5 DingusFett

DingusFett

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

With the exception of the large ships, I'm aiming to have a full flight group (4) of everything, with a second flight of TIE/ln.

#6 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

The Y-wing also gives you the R2 unit card.  Four copies of that can be nice to have.

#7 Captain Mayhem

Captain Mayhem

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thankz. Going with the 4th Y wing. bye the way, my LGS has all four wave 1 plus Falcon and Slave 1 in stock so no prob getting what I want.

#8 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

Picasso said:

The Y-wing also gives you the R2 unit card.  Four copies of that can be nice to have.

I really wish I had a second R5 card, but no way am I buying a 5th X-wing. (Have the 4 from 3 core sets and 1 expansion.)

Be seeing you.

#9 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Captain Mayhem said:

Thankz. Going with the 4th Y wing. bye the way, my LGS has all four wave 1 plus Falcon and Slave 1 in stock so no prob getting what I want.

Darn you Captain Mayhem. You are making me want to buy a 4th Y-wing too. I love those ships. I also want a 4th A-wing, but I'm trying to wait till one of the local shops gets them again since I bought all my wave 2 stuff online, but I want to patronize them.

Be seeing you.

#10 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

KineticOperator said:

Dutch and 3 Golds with Ion Cannons is strangely quite effective.  The Ion is one of those things that gets better with every additional one on the table.  One Y-Wing can Ion a ship, but is still vulnerable to the focused fire of everybody else.  4 Y-Wings can Ion 3 or 4 ships, and make all of them immune to return fire.

I'm curious as to where you spent the extra 3 points with this build. I'd be tempted to up one of the Golds to Horton - although he's more of a torpedo man he would definitely benefit from his ability a significant amount of the time. Or there's the always popular R5-K6 on Dutch, to hopefully pass more of that Target Lock goodness to the lower skilled pilots. Or, ???

#11 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

I put R5K6 on Dutch and left the last point hanging in order to have initiative.  It can be terribly easy to block your opponent when you move first and know EXACTLY where he is going.  You still get your action, and the Y-Wing he ran into is immune to his fire (I'm looking at you, Mr. Han Solo).  Plus, if you time it for when he is hitting an asteroid, you not only cause the damage this turn from the obstacle, now his ship can't shoot anything AT ALL.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS