Ion Turret Damage vs. Large Ships

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ailowynn

Ailowynn

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

The text on the Ion Cannon card says "if the attack hits, the ship suffers 1 damage and takes one ion token." This would seem to imply that damage is dealt even to large ships, even though they don't suffer from the single token. Is this correct or is it wrong?

#2 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

That's correct.

The effects of the card are the same regardless of the target - one damage, and one ion token.  The only thing that's different with large ships is how they handle the ion tokens.

#3 Beatty

Beatty

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:56 AM

I have a follow up question about Ion cannons and large ships. Since it takes two Ion tokens do they remain on the ship till they take a second Ion hit. In other words if you take a ion hit and don't take another one till two game turns later it will still be affected by the ealier Ion token?

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:50 AM

Beatty said:

I have a follow up question about Ion cannons and large ships. Since it takes two Ion tokens do they remain on the ship till they take a second Ion hit. In other words if you take a ion hit and don't take another one till two game turns later it will still be affected by the ealier Ion token?

The first ion token will stay on the ship until it manages to get a 2nd ion token.  Then, both will clear at the same time.  So yes, you can leave an ion token sitting and hit it with a 2nd one several turns later.

#5 Argyle Jedi

Argyle Jedi

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

Follow up question to the ion damage question.

It says one damage.  Does this mean to the hull, or treat as a normal one damage and discard a shield (if your vehicle is shielded)?

If you ionize a rebel with R2D2, and he recharges shields, he still has the damage to hull if that's what you damaged, right?

#6 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Damage is damage.  That means if you have a shield token, you lose a shield token.  If not, you are dealt a damage card, face up or down as appropriate.  This one is actually covered directly in the FAQ.

If a ship manages to recover shields while it has damage cards, those cards (and all the effects of them) remain.

• Tusken Raider likes this

#7 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

I know most people already know this, but I just thought I'd throw it out there: if a ship has 2 or more ion tokens on it, then it suffers the effect of ion and removes all ion tokens. This came up a couple of times with my double Y-wing squad. I hit with one Y-wing, then the following turn I hit it with both Y-wing ion cannons, so it now had 3 ion tokens. After the large ship's movement, all 3 tokens were removed.

Just 'cause I know somebody was going to ask about that....actually they are probably going to ask anyway.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#8 Wookie Hunter

Wookie Hunter

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

Where does it say that big ships take two ion damage?

X-Wing Imperials:  8 Tie Fighter's, 2 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Interceptor's, 4 Royal Guard Tie Interceptor's, 2 Firespray 31's, 2 Shuttle's, 5 Tie Bomber's, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom

X-Wing Rebels:  7 X-Wing's, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 A-Wing's, 2 YT-1300's, 4 B-Wing's, 3 Hawk 290's, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette

Dust Tactics:  Koshka Premium Starter Set

#9 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

The rules supplements that come with the large ships specify that they require 2 ion tokens before they suffer the effects.

#10 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

In the rules sheet that comes with each big ship.

#11 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

funny thing is I wouldn't consider the YT 1300 big....  Star Destroyer now that is big....  

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#12 Tusken Raider

Tusken Raider

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

funny thing is I wouldn't consider the YT 1300 big....  Star Destroyer now that is big....  

Size matters not...

#13 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

You're absolutely correct... it's actually a "large ship."  I'm guessing they're saving the "big" designation for Star Destroyes and such ;)

#14 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

I think somewhere it was said that Large Ships are as big as they're going to go.

#15 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Due to the 2D-ness inherent in the game and the sheer size that capital ships would be, I'm hoping that big ships (or portions thereof) might be represented by game mats.   I'm pretty sure my game room couldn't actually contain a 1/270th scale Super Star Destroyer, let alone a Death Star.  But that doesn't mean I don't want to have battles involving them!

Add some static features like gun emplacements, towers as obstacles and even trenches with obligitory vulnerable vents if you want to play scenarios where you try to destroy the big ships. Treated more as terrain, I think they could be feasible and a fun addition to an already awesome game.

#16 Chiefmasterbeast

Chiefmasterbeast

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

I saw some Brits that made a to scale trench with gun emplacements and they would recreate the trench run.
  • Kevas likes this

#17 Kevas

Kevas

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

I like the idea of using a cruiser or capital ship as terrain. The fighters have to defend it or destroy it by planting a bomb or torpedos. The ship itself could not move due to engine trouble or something. Turrets and reinforcements could come from  it though the possibilities are out there. 

#18 Ken at Sunrise

Ken at Sunrise

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

This looks kind of cool, not sure of ship/model balance.

http://www.combatwom...ar_fortress.htm

My un-birthday is coming up, just sayen'

P.S. found some good paper turrets, print, fold and glue.

Edited by Ken at Sunrise, 29 July 2013 - 06:53 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS