Photo

Dutch Vander Question (not rules…Canon/movie question)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Deadshane

Deadshane

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

I've heard that he's one of the characters from the original series.

What movie specifically was he in?  What scene?

You do not need to see how many ships I own.

This is not the signature you are looking for.

Move along.

#2 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

Jon "Dutch" Vander is Gold Leader in Episode IV:  A New Hope. You can see him standing during the rebel briefing on the plan to attack the Death Star.  He asks General Dodonna "Pardon me sir, but what good are snub fighters going to be against THAT?"  During the Battle of Yavin, he's is the second Y-Wing pilot to die.  Hist last words are "Loosen Up!"

The last Y-Wing pilot to die is Pops, whose last words are "Gold Five to Red Leader; Lost Tyree, Lost Dutch.  They came from behind."

#3 Deadshane

Deadshane

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

That's what I was wondering.  I just got done Wookipedia'ing it.

I was curious since it's clearly "Hutch" that Pops says before he 'splodes.  Wookipedia notes this.

Move along.

#4 Deadshane

Deadshane

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

What sense does it make for a guy to be nicknamed "Dutch" long ago in a GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY?

:P

Move along.

#5 Beatty

Beatty

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

Deadshane said:

What sense does it make for a guy to be nicknamed "Dutch" long ago in a GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY?

Well at least the Galatic language was English. The movies would have been hard to understand if they all spoke Wookie.

#6 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Beatty said:

Deadshane said:

Well at least the Galatic language was English. The movies would have been hard to understand if they all spoke Wookie.

Wookie…LMAO   reir

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#7 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Deadshane said:

That's what I was wondering.  I just got done Wookipedia'ing it.

I was curious since it's clearly "Hutch" that Pops says before he 'splodes.  Wookipedia notes this.

I always heard it as "Dutch", though maybe that's just the residual "t" consonant at the end of "Lost" blending into the initial "d" in "Dutch".

If I remember correctly, many of the rebel pilots in ANH were British, and their voices were dubbed with American voices in post production.  I might me misremembering that, though.

#8 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

That's funny - I remember all those years thinking he was saying 'Hutch' (I still think he is)… and then that CCG card came out in '95 that said 'Dutch', and I was like, "whaaaaa??"

#9 DingusFett

DingusFett

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

http://starwars.wiki...wiki/Jon_Vander

"During the Rebel Pilot Briefing by Jan Dodonna Vander interrupted him by asking "Pardon me for asking sir. But what good are snub fighters going to be against that?" and then later gave Princess Leia a look of concern when Dodonna mentioned that the exhaust port was only two meters wide."

Edit: Okay, ignore this; page didn't load properly and I only saw the original post.

#10 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

IMDB lists him as Hutch: http://www.imdb.com/...00101/filmotype

#11 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:38 AM

My card and ship token are now illegal.  

I changed them from "Dutch" to "Hutch"  

~,~

#12 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

It's weird that there are so many conflicts on "Hutch" vs "Dutch".  The novel of ANH (or "Star Wars", as we called it back in 1977) referred to him as Dutch.  Every version of comic book, action figure, and collectible card has referred to him as "Dutch".

Oh well. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS